Avalon Saga & new Sentinel

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
They are beautiful and member/friend strapper211 loves them...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I believe it's in Vietnam. In the post prior to mine, there is a link; open it and you will see more photos. I just thought it would be best to copy one here, instead of clicking all over the place

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
This is the second pair of Sagas I have seen with these feet.
Does anyone know what they are.
They are not Avalons.

Robert

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi,
This is the second pair of Sagas I have seen with these feet.
Does anyone know what they are.
They are not Avalons.

Robert

Hi Robert, I think they might be Finite Elemente Cerabase but not 100% sure! How are your Sagas working out? Cheers

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Ash,

They are closer to the Tesseract in technology and performance than the Isis.
They are that good.
Robert

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi Ash,

They are closer to the Tesseract in technology and performance than the Isis.
They are that good.
Robert

Hi Robert, wow they must be awesome! Can I ask how far is your listening seat from the speakers and also how far is the back of the speakers from the wall? They seem quite tall with tweeter right on top hence the question about listening distance. I am assuming you are still using your Lamm amps with them and Elrod cables? Many thanks, Ash

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Ash,

I sit about 20 feet from the speakers and they are about 6 feet from the back wall,they need room to sound their best.
I am using the Lamm ML3s to drive them with the Elrod cabling .
The speakers are very efficient and easy to drive.
92 DB and at no point does the impedence drop below 4 ohms.

Robert

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi Ash,

I sit about 20 feet from the speakers and they are about 6 feet from the back wall,they need room to sound their best.

Robert

Hi Robert, many thanks for the feedback. Happy listening. Ash

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hi Ash,

Robert
Robert, which speakers you used before you bought Sagas? Can you comment on the difference between Saga and Isis?

south

Nov 4, 2011
Robert, which speakers you used before you bought Sagas? Can you comment on the difference between Saga and Isis?
Let me reopen this old thread to share my experience on listening to the Avalon Saga.
It is an extraordinary speaker, probably the best I heard. Some of my listening notes:
The bass does not go much lower than the Isis (this may be the result of the heavy accoustic treatment of the room) , but the definition is better. It has a very tight and defined bass that provides a solid foundation for the mids and highs.
The medium is extraordinary. It offers a transparent yet musical window that is mesmerizing to listen to. The way it reproduces voices is fabulous but, in particular, the way it reproduces strings is amazing. It manages to convey the dimensions and the volume of a string instrument as I had never heard.
But the tweeter is the real treat. It’s simply the best tweeter I have ever heard. I am an opera fan and this is the first time I could listen to high pitch soprano and tenor arias without sensing the “hardening” of the voices. The same applies to violins. The tweeter also has an extraordinary extension.
As usual in recent years, Avalon provides little information about the innovations the speaker brings. On the tweeter they just say it is madeof carbon fiber. I had never heard about this technology, but it seems better than the diamond used in the Isis (which is extremely good) and also than alternative solutions used by other brands , e.g. aluminium, berillium and even the newer generation silk tweeters. The midrange and tweeters are in a separated sub-chamber, that is desscribed as floating, i.e., apparently it is decoupled from both the lower enclosure and the external structure.
The Saga is also more rhythmic than the Isis. The benign impedance curve is noticeable, and it seems to be easier to amplify than previous Avalon models.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, in Europe they are only available for demo in Italy. The hi end shop that has them uses an unusual system: analogue only (TW turntables and some fabulous tapes played in Studer an Ampex), a Spectral pre and an exotic italian amplifier, the Alieno, which uses one 300B tube to produce a claimed 250 watts p/c. Cables are in aluminium. I was not at all familiar with the system. The amp sounded very well, quick and very fluid, with some of the 300B qualities but also with good control in the bass. I would have loved to hear the spewakers witha a more traditional tube pre/power.
The Sagas certainly deserve to be heard.It is a fantastic loudspeaker: hats off, Mr Patel.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing