Avalon Saga & new Sentinel

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Found this on their Facebook page...

"We know that you are wondering what's our next product announcement at Avalon?
Indra Diamond and Ceramic are now shipping !!!
Sentinel is being reborn; stay tuned!
SAGA is coming this summer!"

So, Saga will be a new model in Avalon portfolio but it would be interesting to know will it substitute the Isis (if so, will Isis be updated? It' almost a 10 yo model after all...) or will it be positioned above it?

Sentinel will be "interesting" too...Has anybody more info about these two new models?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Saga will be a larger model than the Isis, ceramic and diamond drivers.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Avaon Saga

Saga will be a larger model than the Isis, ceramic and diamond drivers.

Hi,

Saga will be the next step in Avalon speaker evolution.I am sure it will have a totally redesigned crossover and be more efficient.

SAGA will be based on ISIS (not replacing ISIS) but will utilize a new Midrange and Tweeter, keeping the low frequency drivers as in ISIS; it will be passive. It will entail the same technology now being integrated on Tesseract. The cabinet will change slightly, marginally taller with the top box redesigned, yet look similar to ISIS.

Robert

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi,

Saga will be the next step in Avalon speaker evolution.I am sure it will have a totally redesigned crossover and be more efficient.

SAGA will be based on ISIS (not replacing ISIS) but will utilize a new Midrange and Tweeter, keeping the low frequency drivers as in ISIS; it will be passive. It will entail the same technology now being integrated on Tesseract. The cabinet will change slightly, marginally taller with the top box redesigned, yet look similar to ISIS.

Robert
Have been told by Avalon that SAGA will be above ISIS and they are aiming for winter 2016 release. Hopefully it will be worth the wait!

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Ash,

If you don't mind me asking,who at Avalon told you the Saga was slated for a Winter 2016 release.

Robert

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi Ash,

If you don't mind me asking,who at Avalon told you the Saga was slated for a Winter 2016 release.

Robert

Hi Robert, I had posted a question on their Facebook page so someone from the company responded but they did not sign their name so don't have a name for you. The person also said that Saga was above Isis. Have you been given a different release date by them?

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Ash,

No,but I was hoping it would be somewhat closer to Summer 2016.
It sounds like it might be a real killer.
Robert

Steve Huntley -Avalon

[Industry Expert]
Oct 15, 2015
Robert, I'm responding here to to your questions that were in a different thread where you asked:

"It's great to see the advancement Avalon has made in speaker design,but what can you tell us about the upcoming Sentinel update and the New Saga speaker":

"1.Will it incorporate tesseract technology?" Yes, many things that were learned and developed in creating Tesseract will find their way into the new Sentinel and the Saga. Crossover technology and parts choices certainly will play a big role. A lot was learned in the Tess development that can work into the crossover designs of these speakers. The current Indra Diamond and Indra Ceramic actually already has Tess crossover technology incorporated and they are fantastic sounding.
"2.Will it use tesseract drivers?" Those models are both still in development and I don't think it serves anyone to comment on specific design details for something thats in development. So many things can and will change in the development process that it's just not wise for me to comment on a lot of specifics like which drivers will be used, physical characteristics, etc.
"3.Will they be more efficient and amp friendly than the older designs?" Neil has told me that he plans for these (and future Avalon models) to not dip down below 4 ohms so they are easier to drive. With Isis you need an amp that can handle more of an impedance dip. Saga and the new Sentinel should certainly be easier to drive.
"4.Will they be passive or active?" I'll say that the current plan is for both to be passive. Originally, the new Sentinel was going to have an active sub but the design has now switched to passive on that one. Saga certainly will be passive.
"5.Will they be priced between the tesseract and the Isis?" Correct.
"6.When will they be available to the public?" I'm not in a position to say at this time since both are in development. They of course won't go into production until Neil is completely happy with them and I just don't know when that will be. Sorry I can't be more specific....and a guess on my part really is of no value to you or anyone. I know that there already is a queue of buyers for both and so of course we plan to go into production quickly as soon as the designs are finalized.

I hope this is somewhat helpful...sorry I can't get much deeper into details at this time. I will post updates here though when I have firm details.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Steve,

Thank You for that very detailed(as much as possible now)response.The picture is getting a bit sharper.

Robert

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Marcus,

I saw that picture last week,the dimensions are 70Hx14.5Wx17D
Sensitivity is 92 DB and at no time does the impedance drop below 4ohms.
I am very excited.

Robert

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Hi Marcus,

I am very excited.

Robert
Tweeter appears to be approx. 66 " off the floor..........interesting.....

Cheers...

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hi Marcus,

I am very excited.

Robert
Impressive data Robert. I'm excited too but I'm sure we will not see Saga in 2016.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
I think the New Saga looks tremendous,kind of like a Isis on steroids.
The technology in it is mind boggling.
I think it is going to be a real classic Avalon.

Robert

Last edited:

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
The Lamm ML3s and the Saga should be a match made in heaven.
92DB and a very friendly impedence curve.

Robert

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
The Lamm ML3s and the Saga should be a match made in heaven.
92DB and a very friendly impedence curve.

Robert
Hi Robert, do you have any additional info such midrange driver size and price? Do you know if they use Mundorf or Deuland caps in their crossovers? Could definitely be a true classic product from them. When do you take delivery? Look forward to reading your reports on them in due course.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Ash,
Midrange is 7in.
Price is 110,000 in paint and 125,000 in wood.
They only plan to make 6-8 pairs of wood a year because of the difficulty due to size and shape.
Robert

Last edited:

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi Ash,
Midrange is 7in.
Price is 110,000 in paint and 125,000 in wood.
They only plan to make 6-8 pairs of wood a year because of the difficulty due to size and shape.
I hope to have them bye sometime in mid to Late feb.
Robert

Hi Robert, many thanks for the feedback....I think they are going to be amazing and cheaper than I had heard before and also launched sooner as well.
Bet you can't wait to receive them....probably just what you were waiting for from Avalon.
Thanks,
Ash

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing