First Reel-to-Reel title from MA Recordings

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
If you bought the tape at the Capital Audio fest without this box, can you get it or do you have to pay for it. I have listened to part of the tape and it does sound very nice.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
If you bought the tape at the Capital Audio fest without this box, can you get it or do you have to pay for it. I have listened to part of the tape and it does sound very nice.

It sound logical Todd would be taking care of his customers with new boxes.

BTW, how did the tape compared to 24/176.4 wav file?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I will say that I listened on a system that I had never heard before. So, take that into consideration when proceeding!. The tape sure sounded excellent. I listened to the digital file first through at Oppo I think the 105. No contest, the tape won hands down. However, when we listened to the file through the Bricasti DAC (I think the M1 with a Aurender) they sounded the same to me or darn close. To close to call, unlike the Oppo. The tape sounds like the sound I get at home on my system. It is a dam fine recording on any format. I will see what Todd brings to the New York show, provided of course, that he is there. One of his Mozart recordings comes highly recommended. The Sera Una Noche sounds surreal on the 24/176.4 file I have from Todd.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks to Gary and Ki for the great work in helping make this happen. As I noted in my original thread, my copy arrived on Wednesday, after spending a week in various post office locations in my town. The cute wooden box - a bit like a jigsaw puzzle - works OK. Both tapes played wonderfully. According to the record notes, the record and the tape were both done in analogue and the digital recordings were made in parallel.

Larry

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hi
got our boxes today
looks very nice
looking fw to play, maybe already tonight
thxs for ultra pro packing and nice product
will be back
best from cold Norway

2015-11-20 18.16.46.jpg

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
since dinner isn´t ready in another hour or so, I could simply not resist......;)
to put it this way
it sounds as the box looks
rich, fullbodied, natural....in my opinion this is the best performance of this masterwork together with GGs 1981 version
love the harmonics
but then again...an all out A80 is a fantastic and substantial sounding reproducer
best
Leif

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am jealous Leif. Would have loved to have this performance of GV. I would have to live vicariously through you instead :).

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
10-15 minutes into this, I get this soothing, comforting sensation of the beautiful harmonics and decay from the venue
it gives me an inner peace that suits me just fine after a stressful and hectic working day, that even included an evacuation due to a bomb threat to my employer, Norways largest bank DNB
close to 5000 people evacuated from 3 different adjacent buildings....quite a sight!
music like this helps us cope with theese horrid times
best
Leif

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
this is probabably THE pianorecording of the milennium!
case closed :cool:
my definitive "desert island tape"
those of you who havent already bought it have no clue what you miss!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing