[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

chelseadave

Nov 25, 2014
London UK
lol@guru

To start with, I prefer my horns big. I don't like their smaller brethren.

For example, I love the Trios with bass horns, and duos not at all. Same for Tune Audio Anima.

Now, to answer your question, let me first out the disclaimer that each of those 3 brands is incredibly different, and should not be clubbed from an evaluation perspective. Each one needs to be heard, much easier to buy a box speaker or a planar blind.

The AG trios are the best in imaging, scaling, bass, dynamics, if you like orchestral music. They also have optional DSP you can turn on for room issues. You need a minimum 4.5m width, and 6m room. The bigger the room the better they sound. Can sound great with a plain oppo and cheap amp and cables. Certainly on my list of dream purchases.

Acapella Violon/Violoncellos which fit into that price have a nice midrange with their plasma tweeters. If one is listening to amplified vocals, this might be a better choice. The plasma tweeters need servicing every couple of years so buy if you have a DIY guy or support centre around you that can help with that. Fit better into smaller rooms. Show up at large discounts used though

Cessaros - you will struggle to get anything other than the Chopin at that price, and there is one model between that and the Liszt. Purite Audio is selling his Chopin cheap. For smaller rooms. The Liszt, on the other hand, requires a lot of room, and like Acapella, is known for it's midrange, but with different drivers. The TADs are compression drivers that project sound more outwards. The 400k or so Cessaro at Munich had bass horns but at Liszt level and below you don't get a bass horn.

Of these, I would personally would go only for the Trios with the bass horns.
I have just sold my AvantGarde Uno Fino and they were great speakers with a well integrated bass (the Duo's and Uno's do not!)
But for my tastes just a little bit sharp in the treble. I was going to replace the Mundorf Caps with Duelund Casts (AG approval of course) but I had the chance to buy Blumenhofer's fs2 speakers at a great price. I have heard these at Munich 2 years running and loved there sound. Should arrive soon.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
no one has mentioned klipsch. Are they not considered worthy?

Heard a brilliant DIY horn, possibly the best I have heard with a modded Klipsch K55 driver. There is a lot of potential in the DIY VoTT designs.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Heard a brilliant DIY horn, possibly the best I have heard with a modded Klipsch K55 driver. There is a lot of potential in the DIY VoTT designs.

DIY Horn using a Klipsch driver is not the same at all as a Klipsch hornspeaker. About half of the horns I have heard have been DIY which usually sounds terrible unless it has a solid throat and a lot of man hours spent on this. This attention to detail on this one area translated in the builders attention to detail and seriousness in all other areas of the design.

So if I see a picture and it looks like off the shelf no matter how good the driver it will sound bad

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
If the thread goes over 250k then we could talk about the Aries Cerat Contendo.....

Have you listened to the Contendo? How does it compare to the Symphonia?

The Contendo is like a Unicorn, Big Foot, or any other mythical creature. Those who have seen (heard) are forever changed, but no matter how convincing people relay the information they think they are crazy.

One day the world will know and everything people thought was impossible will be turned upside down....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
DIY Horn using a Klipsch driver is not the same at all as a Klipsch hornspeaker. About half of the horns I have heard have been DIY which usually sounds terrible unless it has a solid throat and a lot of man hours spent on this. This attention to detail on this one area translated in the builders attention to detail and seriousness in all other areas of the design.

So if I see a picture and it looks like off the shelf no matter how good the driver it will sound bad

Every DIY horn is different. This guy is already professional with his electronics so might go pro with his horns later. Not to mention in the room he also owns two of the most famous and beautiful sounding horns. Hey, if you zero distortion a 1000 clicks, the names will magically appear

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Indeed, i'll bet it does. Complete with fan noise.

We may have to audition it first before summarily dismissing it. Fan noise can be avoided by placing the amps in another room. Inconvenient ? TO an extent but eminently doable. I haven't heard it but have heard some JBL speakers and they are as good as advertised. JBL could well be one of the gem many audiophiles have no idea of .. Witness the cult following in Japan and many other Asian countries ...
And in my book $250K for a speaker .. Horn or not ...

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I have had one of those Crown amps in my system, many years ago. That thing sounded like a whirlwind. Unacceptably intrusive. You might be able to quieten it down a bit by changing the fan on it, but that still doesn't improve the sound quality, which was dismal. This suggestion was a joke, you would think that he joined WBF to troll us.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We may have to audition it first before summarily dismissing it. Fan noise can be avoided by placing the amps in another room. Inconvenient ? TO an extent but eminently doable. I haven't heard it but have heard some JBL speakers and they are as good as advertised. JBL could well be one of the gem many audiophiles have no idea of .. Witness the cult following in Japan and many other Asian countries ...
And in my book $250K for a speaker .. Horn or not ...

I have auditioned many K2s in proper private set ups and M2s at shows and dismissed them

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I have auditioned many K2s in proper private set ups and M2s at shows and dismissed them

Bonzo that is your take. It is far from universal. There are systems you praise and other people would loathe.. The nature of things you know.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo that is your take. It is far from universal. There are systems you praise and other people would loathe.. The nature of things you know.

Well most, if not all, the arguments are with the people who haven't heard the systems or components I am specifically mentioning, but they are using some weird extrapolation technique to denounce the systems I rate. In my case, I only denounce what I have stress tested

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Well most, if not all, the arguments are with the people who haven't heard the systems or components I am specifically mentioning, but they are using some weird extrapolation technique to denounce the systems I rate. In my case, I only denounce what I have stress tested

"Denouncing" implies much more. You voice your opinions and they should be taken at face value: The opinion of one person. I wouldn't call an audition at a person place a "stress-test" either. For that you need more time, more resources perhaps home audition.
In our hobby little things can break a system. Those are facts. A system at a person place or worse a dealer however lengthy the audition might have been is far from a "stress-test" rather it helps for an opinion. Useful, hardly definitive, factual or a denunciation.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

I've heard all the systems in this discussion except for the Tune Audio Anima. This is the most interesting to me as it's all horn, time aligned and visually attractive. If I ever go back to horns, I'd go this direction.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
"Denouncing" implies much more. You voice your opinions and they should be taken at face value: The opinion of one person. I wouldn't call an audition at a person place a "stress-test" either. For that you need more time, more resources perhaps home audition.
In our hobby little things can break a system. Those are facts. A system at a person place or worse a dealer however lengthy the audition might have been is far from a "stress-test" rather it helps for an opinion. Useful, hardly definitive, factual or a denunciation.

Testing in different rooms with different amps benefiting from the different learnings of different people will teach you much more than setting it up in your room with your limited space and amp budget

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And it definitely is much better than extrapolation

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing