Best Horn Speaker under $250K?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
If you are going the RMAF Show Jeff C has mentioned he will be exhibiting a NEW model from Cessaro called the "Wagner System" 4 piece system. Jeff is raving about the over sound, mentioned will be driven by TW 300B 8 watt mono blocks and comments saying it's a match made in heaven.

Wagner speaker system is based off the Chopin speaker and the dedicated subs based from larger systems and just scaled to the Wagner speaker size.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If you are going the RMAF Show Jeff C has mentioned he will be exhibiting a NEW model from Cessaro called the "Wagner System" 4 piece system. Jeff is raving about the over sound, mentioned will be driven by TW 300B 8 watt mono blocks and comments saying it's a match made in heaven.

Wagner speaker system is based off the Chopin speaker and the dedicated subs based from larger systems and just scaled to the Wagner speaker size.

I'm going and I will be sure to check it out!

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Below is a pic of the Wagner "smaller speaker" beside the Liszt that Jeff has mentioned will be bringing - pic is from Jeff's place. Sub's are not seen in the pic but below is of one

IMG_0762.JPG

image003.jpg

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I wrote some time ago that I heard for the first time a pair of Horning speakers that really peaked my interest after owning many world speakers.

Currently I have a pair of Tommy's latest design "had a previous model to begin with and this new design is most defiantly a substantial improvement on a already great sounding speaker" with his new ported woofers "8 woofers for each speaker" Jeff C whom has been carrying this line agrees and feels these are Tommy's best sounding period. At the list price of in and around $30+k these are a real bargain in the speaker world, I really like the what they do. Due to Jeff's enthusiasm in relation to the Wagner System I'm looking forward to hearing, my expectations are high. I wonder what the actual cost will be, he mentioned not cheap.

Here are a couple of pic's of my new 98db Horning's with the ported woofer design, still breaking in those woofers.

20150825_172848.jpg

20150825_172835.jpg

20150825_172813.jpg

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
I wrote some time ago that I heard for the first time a pair of Horning speakers that really peaked my interest after owning many world speakers.

Currently I have a pair of Tommy's latest design "had a previous model to begin with and this new design is most defiantly a substantial improvement on a already great sounding speaker" with his new ported woofers "8 woofers for each speaker" Jeff C whom has been carrying this line agrees and feels these are Tommy's best sounding period. At the list price of in and around $30+k these are a real bargain in the speaker world, I really like the what they do. Due to Jeff's enthusiasm in relation to the Wagner System I'm looking forward to hearing, my expectations are high. I wonder what the actual cost will be, he mentioned not cheap.

Here are a couple of pic's of my new 98db Horning's with the ported woofer design, still breaking in those woofers.

View attachment 22047

View attachment 22048

View attachment 22049

Hi David,

Like the direction of your changes, the speakers look sweet!

Cheers!
Alan

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Alan,

thx :) I'm amazed how these speakers sound as one unit - the drivers really integrate well, very coherent. Another area surprising is that I have found so fare that they aren't really picky amplification wise, if you were to hear these in a blind demo no way would you figure them for there size or what is currently driving them. They sound "perform" as large as any speaker I have owned and numerous others I have heard which is really shocking.

The naturalness produced is just so different from what I'm use too, not saying others weren't great but these are just really different in a good way and also engaging!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

Rey audio RM-7V of Japan may fit the title of this thread

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
WOW - what are these? Kendrick sound or some JBL thing?

Edit - Ah saw Rey audio - these too are JBL restores? Have you compared them to Kendrick, and how much do they go for?

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Actually I like what I heard from JMF audio , France & did some research abt it . Discovered that Rey audio is using JMF pre/power & dac . That's how I discovered this humongous & beautiful made speakers by Rey Audio . Yup that photo was taken fr Kenrick sound , blog.kenricksound.com, premier JBL restorer

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Actually I like what I heard from JMF audio , France & did some research abt it . Discovered that Rey audio is using JMF pre/power & dac . That's how I discovered this humongous & beautiful made speakers by Rey Audio . Yup that photo was taken fr Kenricks site , premier JBL restorer

Sorry to be OT ... Audio blazer congrats on the VA MP monos, thought you actually preferred the MPS , guess not ... Enjoy in good health ..... Cheers

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Jazz head , actually I prefer the physically imposing MPS - looks prettier . Sound wise , I think the MPM is more resolving & definitely with lower noise floor ( 2 days of listening only )

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
WOW - what are these? Kendrick sound or some JBL thing?

Edit - Ah saw Rey audio - these too are JBL restores? Have you compared them to Kendrick, and how much do they go for?

They are Rey Audio rm-7v Kenrick version. I recommended the rm-6v to you before a few months back - the walnut burl :D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gosh, now those are seriously beautiful, in a brutal way - iron fist in a velvet glove?

Not heard them, but the Sadurni Staccatos at $40k deserve an honourable mention.
I was due to audition them around this time, but w/the major impvts in my Zus, and my impending house move, I'm leaving potential purchase for next yr.
But they should be in contention.
Wheel Fi horns/matched tube amps package $120k.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I have had the opportunity to hear the largest Sunny speaker H3w18 horns at clement Perry's (publisher of stereo times ) home on several occasions. it's still an experience I remember.

Way off topic but I enjoyed reading Bill Hart's post about Crosby quad 63's. They were the first pair of high end speakers I owned, bought used once I landed my first job after college.

The only reason I got rid of them was the panels kept going, one by one until I decided I had thrown enough money into them and sold cheaply to somone willing to make the investment.

I toyed with Soundlabs but never pulled the trigger due to size limitations (I'm in NY, NY), but always enjoyed a friends A1's then U1's, but were in a space too small to let them breath.

About 5 years ago I had the opportunity to hear TAD cr1's in my own space (and to sell them which I don't any longer).

They were the first speaker I felt encompased what I liked about the Esl 63's, but with bass and dynamics.

I soon found out that the designer, Andrew Jones also loves and owns Quads, hence the similarities.

Today I still use the CR1's but supplemented with stat super tweeters on top and subs below. Several musician friends that heard them want to mix an album on my system.

While they don't have the dynamics of horns they do capture much of the qualities I hear when listening to acoustics instruments in small spaces.

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

Attachments

• Master Horn.jpg
    Master Horn.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,493
Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bargain. I would love to hear them one day, maybe next year. Problem is they are never going to come at low prices in the used market.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Bonzo, since you are a horn guru - curious to your general thoughts on the "big 3" euro horn brands as it relates to their sub-75k speakers (Avantgarde, Acapella, and Cessaro)?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
lol@guru

To start with, I prefer my horns big. I don't like their smaller brethren.

For example, I love the Trios with bass horns, and duos not at all. Same for Tune Audio Anima.

Now, to answer your question, let me first out the disclaimer that each of those 3 brands is incredibly different, and should not be clubbed from an evaluation perspective. Each one needs to be heard, much easier to buy a box speaker or a planar blind.

The AG trios are the best in imaging, scaling, bass, dynamics, if you like orchestral music. They also have optional DSP you can turn on for room issues. You need a minimum 4.5m width, and 6m room. The bigger the room the better they sound. Can sound great with a plain oppo and cheap amp and cables. Certainly on my list of dream purchases.

Acapella Violon/Violoncellos which fit into that price have a nice midrange with their plasma tweeters. If one is listening to amplified vocals, this might be a better choice. The plasma tweeters need servicing every couple of years so buy if you have a DIY guy or support centre around you that can help with that. Fit better into smaller rooms. Show up at large discounts used though

Cessaros - you will struggle to get anything other than the Chopin at that price, and there is one model between that and the Liszt. Purite Audio is selling his Chopin cheap. For smaller rooms. The Liszt, on the other hand, requires a lot of room, and like Acapella, is known for it's midrange, but with different drivers. The TADs are compression drivers that project sound more outwards. The 400k or so Cessaro at Munich had bass horns but at Liszt level and below you don't get a bass horn.

Of these, I would personally would go only for the Trios with the bass horns.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Well if best horn speaker under 250k is the name of the game then I would like to add the Aries Cerat Symphonia. At 85K and a true 3-way I haven't even been able to reach its potential with best Aries Cerat electronics.

And it uses a Raal ribbon horn loaded tweeter from a compression free treble :)

023.jpg

029.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing