Best Horn Speaker under $250K?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
+1

Horns (again with poor auditions) do not fatigue any more than a stat or dynamic speaker. What i find to be most interesting when people demo horns is their desire to turn up the volume to much louder listening levels than what they do with their own speakers.

This is the main cause of the "fatigue" people associate with horns. And of course the usual bad room, electronics, etc

Reason horns can fatigue more is that mids/tweeters/bass might be out of sync with each other, so adjusting volume for SPL levels of bass can cause tops to be shouty if not properly designed.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Reason horns can fatigue more is that mids/tweeters/bass might be out of sync with each other, so adjusting volume for SPL levels of bass can cause tops to be shouty if not properly designed.

Given most listening impressions are of completed horns are not DIY affairs I would imagine that not to be as much of an issue

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Has anyone heard the offerings from Maxonic? I believe they had their model TW7000B field-coil loudspeakers at the 2016 Newport show.

Hi Exlibris,

Not yet. I contacted their European distributor (Natural Sound) to see when they planned on showing next and Hari confirmed they'll be at Munich this year.

Best,

853guy

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I spoke with a distributor here in Canada. He doesn't carry the brand but has visited the factory for a demo and has heard the speakers at the Tokyo show. He isn't a fan of horns in general but says that the Maxonic TW11000 is, in his opinion, the second best speaker currently made. (Living Voice Vox Olympian being the best)

schlager

May 7, 2015
Denmark
1.jpg

This is my DIY 4 way active horn setup. It cost me about 2500 $ to make, about 1/100 of the topics max price and that is including amps and x-over and the lot :) All is time aligned and I use EQ to tame the room modes, which I find crucial to get a smooth and engaging sound.

Most of the drivers and amps was bought used. It was build with the Avantgarde Trio Basshorn as inspiration.

People who have heard the Trios, says that the are equal to them in terms of sound quality and I have had more than a dozen of people saying, that it is the best soundsystem they ever heard.

The room is treated with DIY bass traps and absobers on the backwall and 3 big panels (240x60 cm) made of double plasterboards with 5 cm glass wool, hanging over listening position.

Regards Sebastian

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
View attachment 31488

This is my DIY 4 way active horn setup. It cost me about 2500 $ to make, about 1/100 of the topics max price and that is including amps and x-over and the lot :)
I have had more than a dozen of people saying, that it is the best soundsystem they ever heard.
Regards Sebastian

Congratulations Sebastion.
I am not surprised by the above statements; especially "I have had more than a dozen of people saying, that it is the best soundsystem they ever heard."

Best to you,
zz.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Most excellently done Sabastian, I applauded your endeavours, which are perhaps a salient reminder to folk who bounce monopoly monies speaker systems around the forum like we are all Euro millions loto winners.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
View attachment 31488

This is my DIY 4 way active horn setup. It cost me about 2500 $ to make, about 1/100 of the topics max price and that is including amps and x-over and the lot :) All is time aligned and I use EQ to tame the room modes, which I find crucial to get a smooth and engaging sound.

Most of the drivers and amps was bought used. It was build with the Avantgarde Trio Basshorn as inspiration.

People who have heard the Trios, says that the are equal to them in terms of sound quality and I have had more than a dozen of people saying, that it is the best soundsystem they ever heard.

The room is treated with DIY bass traps and absobers on the backwall and 3 big panels (240x60 cm) made of double plasterboards with 5 cm glass wool, hanging over listening position.

Regards Sebastian

Sebastian, where are you located?

schlager

May 7, 2015
Denmark
Most excellently done Sabastian, I applauded your endeavours, which are perhaps a salient reminder to folk who bounce monopoly monies speaker systems around the forum like we are all Euro millions loto winners.

Thanks, yes with a lot of money, you have the bragging rights, but not necessarily very good sound :)

Hi bonzo75, I live near Copenhagen in Denmark. If you are ever around, please feel free to give me a visit :)

Regards

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, yes with a lot of money, you have the bragging rights, but not necessarily very good sound :)

Hi bonzo75, I live near Copenhagen in Denmark. If you are ever around, please feel free to give me a visit :)

Regards

It's ok to spend for something as long as the person does not have cognitive dissonance with what he is spending it for. For example, a Ferrari owner in London (with all respect to harlequin's new Porsche) is doing so for the looks and status, etc - he is definitely not under any illusion that he is going to be driving it at full speed on our roads. Problem is in audio, a Ferrari owner in London will think he is loving at the fastest speed in the whole world, while in reality he is chugging along slower than many Smart cars, and that is what creates the dissonance.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Regards

Nice job on the horns!

I worked for Vestas for a couple years, spent a lot of time in Denmark. Copenhagen and the surrounding area is very nice, I usually flew into Copenhagen and spent the night, then drove a rental car to factories in Viborg and Ringkobing. I really enjoyed my time in Denmark and working with Danes is so much easier vs Americans for the most part. ;)

schlager

May 7, 2015
Denmark
Nice job on the horns!

I worked for Vestas for a couple years, spent a lot of time in Denmark. Copenhagen and the surrounding area is very nice, I usually flew into Copenhagen and spent the night, then drove a rental car to factories in Viborg and Ringkobing. I really enjoyed my time in Denmark and working with Danes is so much easier vs Americans for the most part. ;)

Thanks Dave, nice being in the green energy sector (y) Yes, I believe we Danes are easy to work with, probably because of the holistic structur in the chain command. And people on the floor are not afraid to make decisions, without asking the boss :cool:

You would pass my city (Slagelse) on your way to Viborg :eek:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Dave, nice being in the green energy sector (y) Yes, I believe we Danes are easy to work with, probably because of the holistic structur in the chain command. And people on the floor are not afraid to make decisions, without asking the boss :cool:

You would pass my city (Slagelse) on your way to Viborg :eek:

Schlager

i , for one would be interested in the details of your system. If the collective is interested fine , else I already sent you a PM :) Consult your inbox

schlager

May 7, 2015
Denmark
Hi FrantzM, here are the basic info.

If this is OT please feel free to remove the post.

The system has 6 x 500 liters front loaded basshorns, each with Fane Collusus 15XB. 4 of them are hanging from the ceiling and forming the Great Dannebrog Horn and 2 extra cabs for bass distribution, a la Earl Geddes multi sub princip. I'm still fiddling around with the extra2 subs, trying to integrate them, might need some help down the road from a friend, who has experience with multi subs. They load down to 23 and rolls of at 90 hz. The main sub horn is runned by a Behringer Inuke 6000 DSP, with 2 x 2000 watts into 4 ohm.

From 90-500 hz Electro Voice EVM 15L in a front loaded horn and a Behringer Inuke 1000 DSP powers it.

A paper mache horn loaded with JBL 2445 driver handles the 500-5000 hz, powered by a NAD 7100, which also functions as a pre-amp.

From 5000-20000 hz a Selenium ST200 bullet driver comes in with an Onkyo TX-V940 amp.

2 x Behringer DCX 2496 handles the x-over, time alignment, EQ and gain structure.

All cables are DIY, nothing fancy or any bling bling :rolleyes:

Total system sensitivity is around 110dB/w, so as for amps, I do not believe, nor do I hear, any major differences between topologies as long they are linear, don't clip and don't distort. And in active mode I think, this is even more true.

Regards

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
I spoke with a distributor here in Canada. He doesn't carry the brand but has visited the factory for a demo and has heard the speakers at the Tokyo show. He isn't a fan of horns in general but says that the Maxonic TW11000 is, in his opinion, the second best speaker currently made. (Living Voice Vox Olympian being the best)

Hi Exlibris,

Even if they were only the third-best speaker currently made, they would still have my attention solely because they look like Altec 604's which, for reasons that have nothing to do with sound quality, I consider one of the coolest speakers on the planet. Taste being what it is, sometimes a speaker that looks like a speaker just works better than a speaker that looks like a giant robot or melted sea-creature.

If you get to hear one, please share your thoughts.

Best,

853guy

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Hi 853guy,
I'll be sure to post if I end up hearing them at the LA show. I'm told that they now only have two models (the 1100 and the 1500). Both are three-ways. The main difference is that the 1500 is open at the rear -- like an open baffle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing