CD ripping services

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Has anyone used a CD ripping service to have their CDs converted to digital files? I am getting tired of ripping CDs and am ready to send them to somebody and have them do it. For a reasonable price. Any suggestions.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Has anyone used a CD ripping service to have their CDs converted to digital files? I am getting tired of ripping CDs and am ready to send them to somebody and have them do it. For a reasonable price. Any suggestions.

What do you feel is a reasonable price, and what are your expectations or hopes for quality?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I do ripping of SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray and CD for clients. I've done thousands and thousands over the years.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Hire a high school kid...

That is an option.

What do you feel is a reasonable price, and what are your expectations or hopes for quality?

Price wise, the less the better. I guess I have ripped a thousand CDs over the last five years, and still have a thousand or so to go. So maybe something like $.50 a CD seems reasonable for a service that specializes in ripping. For quality, I would expect it to match 44/16 FLAC downloads from HD Tracks including album art.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I do ripping of SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray and CD for clients. I've done thousands and thousands over the years.

How do you rip an SACD? Can you keep the native hi-rez files or does it become like a CD?

How do you rip a Blu-Ray?

. . . .For quality, I would expect it to match 44/16 FLAC downloads from HD Tracks including album art.

How do you rip album art?

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Price wise, the less the better. I guess I have ripped a thousand CDs over the last five years, and still have a thousand or so to go. So maybe something like $.50 a CD seems reasonable for a service that specializes in ripping. For quality, I would expect it to match 44/16 FLAC downloads from HD Tracks including album art.
You're probably dreaming.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
How are you ripping them now? What software? What container?

IME, ripping should be fast and easy. For the most part, it is. But you will run into metadata issues, especially classical music. IMO, you cannot outsource metadata to someone else. There's probably a dozen different ways to build metadata for classical music. If someone else does it, you may have real trouble finding the music you want. I suggest you use dbpoweramp and do it yourself.

As far as SACD, get a PS3 and do it yourself. If you can't find one which works, there are folks who will do it for you. I don't really know who they are though. The metadata for .dsf rips are very time consuming. Therefore, the fifty cents price point may not be available to you.

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
IME, ripping should be fast and easy. For the most part, it is. But you will run into metadata issues, especially classical music. IMO, you cannot outsource metadata to someone else. There's probably a dozen different ways to build metadata for classical music. If someone else does it, you may have real trouble finding the music you want. I suggest you use dbpoweramp and do it yourself.
Agreed. I chipped in with some other guys and bought a Nimbie so that I can do up to 100 CDs in a load. Without it, the task would have been interminable, literally.

As far as SACD, get a PS3 and do it yourself. If you can't find one which works, there are folks who will do it for you.
But not for 50 cents, I believe. BTW, there is a potentially better SACD ripper on the way but, as of now, the PS3 is the only option for regular guys.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
When I get a new unit I just rip as I listen. I know what music I listen to on a pretty regular basis so I have learned to skip ripping those albums that no longer interest me. In the past I have used these events to go thru my CD rack a cull music that no longer gets played. I trade them or give them away making room for new music. I can never remember thinking "gee I wish I had saved that disc". If it ever happens there is always Tidal and Rhapsody.

Once the ripping is complete every new disc gets burned when it arrives and also added to my Music Collector data base.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing