Need qualified room acoustician

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Just dropping by to see how progress is going, have you got your Dunlavy's back in position yet?

They are in place, the center sofiit is completed per your recommendation and the side wall soffits at the center had temporary 2 inch 703. I am now having a permanent solution made for the bottom of the side and rear wall soffits.

Thanks you very much for your interest and recommendations. It, in addition to what I had done, has helped a lot.

Sorry for not getting back to you but was going to wait until it was all completed and post some photos.

Thanks again!!

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
I wonder how a pair of Magnepan MG 3.6's, with their dipolar/line source dispersion pattern, would sound in your room? A cheap way to try it would buy a used pair of MGIIIA's, just a thought.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have had 6 pair of speakers In this room. The problem had nothing to do with speakers but was created by a room designer who didn't pay attention to the details and then refused to own the problem. With help from people I have communicated with on various internet forums and GIK Acoustics, the problem is 85% resolved and I'm still working on the other 15%.

As for the Maggie recommendation, the 20.1's were one of my two primary possibilities when i was doing my speaker search but the local dealer apparently had them set up poorly because there was NONE of the Maggie magic so I went elsewhere

Dale Pitcher

Industry Expert
Mar 11, 2014
Torrington, WY & Boseman, MT
Regarding Post 73:

You might try removing the diffusers on the ceiling and try something else. In many cases, the reflection off of the ceiling above and in front of the speakers may be a major culprit. Assuming your speakers emulate a point source, reflections off of the walls will be that of a point source - delayed in time, and with the characteristics of the wall included. However, reflections off the ceiling are always fairly garbled, since the arrival times at that point from the various drivers will always be staggered in time. Lower ceilings are more problematic, since more of what you are hearing is this time delay.

Two ways that you might approach this - both above and in front of the speakers on the ceiling; 1) Pressed wool felt, 1/4" or thicker - F-13 density (available from Sutherland Felt (on line - item 713-4, about $40 per 72" lineal yard); if it is a really significant problem: 2) Build an open frame, or several frames about 1" thick. Stretch an attractive fabric over them, and fill it with strips of carded top wool (Brown Sheep Wool - Scottsbluff, NE - $20 per pound, white or various colors). This is a "black hole" for absorbing frequencies in a linear fashion down to below midrange frequencies. These methods are also good for dealing with side reflections. If you want more details about constructing these, you can contact me at mosaicaudio@yahoo.com.

If you are using any fiberglass absorbers or diffusers, take them out and try the above.

Regards,

Dale Pitcher

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing