Need qualified room acoustician

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Rives Audio designed my room and I have had sonic issues with it since the get-go. To insure it is the room and not some component, I have tried 4 pairs of VERY diverse speakers (Dunlavy, Theil, Seaton Sound and RS), 46 bazillion speaker/listening positions, multiple amps, multiple dacs, multiple preamps, power control, wires and cables., as well as room correction of several flavors. NOTHING works to solve the problem.

Rives refuses to admit the room is the issue no matter how much evidence I provide. An interesting side note is that I have provided him the measurements he requested which confirms to him that his room is not the issue but everyone who has ever been in the room can hear the problem(s). (What does THAT tell us about measurements versus our ears?) He has been in Atlanta twice for CEDIA and will not come by to listen. I know many have had great success with his designs but ...

What bothers me most about this situation is not that the room has a problem but rather that he refuses to admit it his his issue. And when he told me I had ONLY paid for a level 1+ and that level of service ONLY provides plans, I did not take that well.

In fairness, he did do a Level 3 for a friend and that room is awesome. He also did a level 1+ for me previously in another room and that room, from 100hz up, was the best room I have ever heard (but from 100Hz down did nothing nor did he have me build soffit traps even though I had huge Dunlavy's and 4 subs).

I have had Dennis Erskine come by but he has asked for a very hefty sum with no guarantees that he will fix the problem. When Mark Seaton was here during CEDIA, he could hear the problem and made some guesses as to what the cause might be and I tried some of the possible remedies with no success.

Ethan has tried to be very helpful but he does not travel to do consulting.

What other recommendations can anyone make on who else I can contact to try and get this incredibly frustrating issue behind me?

I can not even guess at the number of hours I have spent trying different components, taking untold number of measurements, moving speakers around, adding and changing acoustic products, switching cables, re-measuring, etc!! I just want to listen to music.

(The sonic issue I am dealing with would best be described as upper midrange glare. I have absorptive/diffusive panels and first side wall reflection points, diffusion on the ceiling, diffusers on the rear wall and absorption on the rear side walls, hardwood for the first 7 or 8 feet of flooring and then carpet. I have tried swapping those around as well as rotating the speakers 180 degrees in the room)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Just going by name and reputation ..

Terry Montlick http://www.softwaredesign.com. You could ask Jeff Fritz about his experiences with Terry.

I find his prices very decent and they can be seen HERE.

I also think Earl Geddes provides such services ... www.gedlee.com

I particularly like their approach based on science and readily available material ...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This might sound like a silly question but where is your rack and what are the shelves of your rack and amp stands made of? Also, what have you got on your front wall?

*I was certified for design and construction of critical listening environments but never practiced professionally

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This might sound like a silly question but where is your rack and what are the shelves of your rack and amp stands made of? Also, what have you got on your front wall?

*I was certified for design and construction of critical listening environments but never practiced professionally

All of my equipment is in another room sitting on reasonably solid racks. I have tried setting the equipment on the floor (concrete in another room) on carpet and on one other shelving system.The front wall on both sides of the screen is RPG BAD Panels, and there are acoustic panels above and below the screen. I purchased some additional 2 inch thick acoustic panels to completely cover the screen for 2 channel which I will try in a few days.

Thanks all to have given me names. I will start contacting them ASAP.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Jeff Hedback
Chief Designer, HdA
PH: 317-863-0753
FX: 317-863-2926
www.HdAcoustics.net

BTW- if you're still using the TacT RCS 2.2XP, you should order an upgraded PSU from Aberdeen/Maui Mods and get a LinearX M31 mic.

Apparently Aberdeen is not interested in my business. I told him (via an email exchange) that I was interested in purchasing his upgraded power supply, asked him how to pay for it and have never received a response . He may be unhappy with me since I posted the comment from one of his Dallas customers who had many unkind things to say about his company.

But the TacT is not the issue. I have used my Jeff Rowland, a Benchmark DAC that can be used as a preamp, and two different surround processors.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Chuck, perhaps a visit from a local HAA calibrator: http://www.homeacoustics.net/

Just went to that site and two of the HAA certified folks in my area are Dennis Ersksine and Adam Pelz. Adam came with Dennis to (and measured) my home and Dennis later submitted a proposal that said they wanted $1400 per day for up to 6 days PLUS what ever acoustic treatments I would need over and above what I already have ---- and i was not guaranteed that it would be fixed. Since after visiting (and measuring) my room it was not intuitively obvious what the problem was, their approach in the proposal was to measure the room, take down some acoustic treatment and re-measure and keep doing that until they found the problem.

I was somewhat disappointed in the proposal and was surprised since Adam Pelz is very highly regarded (as is Dennis). I will try someone else.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Front left corner (have different speakers and front screen wall is now covered with acoustic material)

Left rear shot:

Right rear shot:

Ceiling from front.

Ceiling before fabric covering added:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Chuck, you get the same upper midrange glare even if you cover the screen with your 2" movable panels? That is strange indeed.

There's also one oddball possibility. I have a large center speaker too. When the center speaker's high enough to be very close to the seated listening height they reflect a lot of upper midrange back at me. Multi-channel is near perfect but in stereo the unused center actually sounds like the larger drivers are resonating audibly. When I touch them I can feel the vibrations. It's not a mixed use room so it isn't much of an issue for me, it's movies or concerts 99% of the time. Increasing the height differential between main mid drivers and tweeters and the center baffle helps a lot but it is cumbersome. In your case lower stands for your center will cause new problems, maybe less glare but that would be replaced by honky mid-bass when watching movies.

Have you tried placing a panel in front of your center? If you have then I'm truly stumped.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Jack's last post mostly sums it up for me. I immediately thought it might be the first reflection from the screen back to the listener. If you've tried moving the rugs so that the speaker zone and under the screen are covered, that would have been another possibility. You could also throw a blanket over the center speaker as a quick check for it being the cause. Lastly, I'm tempted to wonder about the construction of the ceiling with all the angled boards that might reflect sound to the listener (although attenuated by the fabric covering). You might inspect each area of ceiling and soffit for vibration that might reinforce a narrow frequency band. Try placing one of the 2" panels all over the place (yes, you might have to hang it by string or something, but it may be worth it!). Also inspect the mounting of all the diffusers, etc.

Overall, since you've tried multiple speakers and electronics, it certainly seems the problem is caused by the room. It's unfortunate that the apparent arrogance of the designer is leaving you to research this alone or pay someone else to follow up on his responsibilities. If I were Rives, I would want every customer to be ecstatic in their new space. For those contemplating such a sizable investment, any reports of poor customer service could be disastrous to business. While my lone comment here will probably have zero effect on someone with Rives' notoriety, I personally would be less inclined to use his services upon hearing this report.

At least a bit of do-it-yourself experimenting with the panels, etc. can rule out any other "non-constructional" causes.

Good luck,

Lee

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If I were Rives, I would want every customer to be ecstatic in their new space. For those contemplating such a sizable investment, any reports of poor customer service could be disastrous to business. While my lone comment here will probably have zero effect on someone with Rives' notoriety, I personally would be less inclined to use his services upon hearing this report.

His total and complete lack of support in this issue (e.g. he's been in Atlanta twice during all of this and refused to come to my home) and continuing to claim "it's not the room" when it clearly is (not just my opinion and those of some friends but also based upon the opinions of four of his competitors, three of whom have been in the room) demonstrates to me that he just doesn't give a darn. When he told me that my selection of a Level 1 did not include a site visit (even though he knows the room sucks) I knew I had made the wrong choice in selecting his firm.

If I were building from scratch (like a friend of mine and Mike Lavign) I would consider using Chris Huston of his firm (but would also interview some of the names that have been recommended) but would NEVER recommend a Level I or Level II.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Our rooms were designed from scratch by Chris Huston. Being in the medical field, I always want a second opinion. I've heard too much annecdotal information about Rives rooms having to be torn down. I hired Bob Hodas for the acoustics. I couldn't be happier. The 2 days that Bob spent in our rooms was the best money I have spent the past 5 years!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Our rooms were designed from scratch by Chris Huston. Being in the medical field, I always want a second opinion. I've heard too much annecdotal information about Rives rooms having to be torn down. I hired Bob Hodas for the acoustics. I couldn't be happier. The 2 days that Bob spent in our rooms was the best money I have spent the past 5 years!

So they were designed by Chris Huston and acoustic treatment added by Bob Hodas? I thought Chris Huston also did acoustic treatment.

What kinds of fees does Bob Hodas charge (or do I need to ask him)?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
So they were designed by Chris Huston and acoustic treatment added by Bob Hodas? I thought Chris Huston also did acoustic treatment.
What kinds of fees does Bob Hodas charge (or do I need to ask him)?

Chris Huston designed the structure and layout of the rooms and Bob Hodas added/moved/tweaked acoustical treatment and set up the speakers. His fees are ~$3000
This was a Level 4 project. There is a pic on the website of it being built.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Terry Montlick is simply fantastic. A masterclass in acoustics. I can't speak more highly enough of his work.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
My suggestion is that you contact Keith Yates. The basic issue that becomes clear from reading all these posts is that one has to do a total design, from top to bottom (frequency wise) or otherwise you won't be that happy. It isn't easy. Keith has a great deal of experience over several decades, and he's built up a very interesting methodology that is quite a bit different from what is being discussed here. The ultimate answer is software. Basically one has to model the entire room and any acoustical connections it has to other parts of the house, but once that's done, you can get a grip on the problem. Otherwise, it gets squirrely. It's not about amendments or sofas or panels.

It's primarily about how air acts when pummeled by low frequencies, and no, this can be controlled (in most cases) by panels, tubes and so forth, from Keith's perspective. PM me for more information. Keith does projects all over the world, but his approach does scale to residential applications, meaning you don't have to be a millionaire to implement the plan. Very nice fellow, generous and patient with his explanations, but eventually he brought me up to speed.

My background as most of you know is in image processing and computer graphics; the software technology is basically the same, meaning variations on computational fluid dynamics.

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
An interesting thread, and my first post here! I know many of you here from that "other" forum.

Chuck, it was good talking to you about my experiences with Rives and then Adam Pelz. Just to summarize, I have a Rives level 3 room. While it has some positive attributes I'd say overall I was disappointed with it. To make a long story short, the decay time in the room is only 180ms which is unusual since Rives claims to believe strongly in rooms with a lot of diffusion. Adam told me that Chuck's room is also very "dry" at 180ms or so also (instead of a more desirable 350-400ms).

With just the Rives work I'd say I was about 60% happy. I hired Adam to come up here and although he didn't actually change anything physically about the room he transformed things by integrating my front 2 subs with the main speakers and repositioned the main speakers. I'd say it takes things to about 90%. Yeah, the room still sounds way overdamped and some frequencies are "odd" but there are some really good qualities too.

One of my local audiopals has a friend in the US who had a Rives room done and subsequently hired Bob Hodas and wasn't happy with that either. Make what you will of that. I really wanted a room that met the description someone wrote of the Keith Yates designed room in a Denver audio dealer's shop - it was the most comfortable room to have a conversation in and sounded very "natural". Not as easy to achieve as it might seem despite throwing a fair bit of money at it.

The bottom line for me is that I won't hire anyone without hearing an example of their work and being satisfied with it (for a future project).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing