Best System Poll

True/False: THE best system I've heard was at a HiFi Show.

• True

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • False

Votes: 26 96.3%

• Total voters

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
This is a simple one. The question is whether the best system you've heard was at a HIFI show. Of course, that means the shows held at convention centers inside ballrooms and hotel rooms. There is deep disagreement over this and I think it led to Peter Breuninger's WBF Harakiri. On his way out arose a debate which wasn't fully completed due to the rancorous nature of his departure.

Michael.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I guess for me it is kind of a tie. Of the best sounding systems I have heard, one was in a home with a specially designed room and the other, in a hotel suite at a show. If I had to pick one, it would be the one in the home, but it would be really, really close. I have heard as a general rule, better sound in a person's home than at a show, but have heard quite a few nice sounding systems at shows. On the other hand, while I have heard a few poor sounding systems in homes (at least to these ears) that are really, really bright, most of the poor sounding rooms have been at shows. Hopefully, I will be hearing some great sounding rooms at the Capital Audio Fest.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
No. While one of the better systems I have ever heard was at RMAF 2013 when Wilson had their set-up in one of the Hyatt's meeting rooms. The best system I have ever heard was in a dealers showroom in Singapore.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Yes and no, because I can't think of only one "best" system. Of the handful I can remember, some were at shows and some weren't.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You should have included the worst system you have heard in the poll too, more interesting results.
david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've gone to three shows over the years. But in each of those, I heard about 30 systems, so that is about 90 systems at shows. I've heard about 20 systems at various dealer showrooms and perhaps 20 systems in homes belonging to audiophiles. The odds are heavily in favor of show demos because of sheer numbers but also because these are set up by professionals who have an interest in impressing the public.

However, I have only heard a handful of really good sounding systems at shows. And those sounded quite natural and convincing. I think it is because proper set up contributes more than anything to the sound of a system, IMO, and there just is not the time to do it correctly during a show. Audiophiles, with the help of dealers and knowledgeable friends have the advantage of time. And the home environment tends to be much less distracting than the ones at shows.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't go to shows to listen. I use them to see what's out there, what I can possibly afford and am interested in. If I do find something I might go back and see if I can listen, which more often than not is next to impossible.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You are NOT allowed to discuss any system that you have heard at a show.....it's against the rules!

Davey, am I glad to see you back! :cool:

Enjoy a great weekend man.

? As for the poll...great music I've heard from my own very humble system. ...That's all it matters to me...the emotional impact from the music...the rest is simply that...rest. :b ...Classical music is playing right now, outside on my patio (veranda) with the nature (birds and trees and ocean) all around. ...Full peace, total ecstasy...good enough even if it's not @ the same level as the best in the world, because to me it's close enough to that best balance in life. ...We can dream all our life and aspire to higher levels, or we can life intensively in the present moment in them higher levels...all spiritual. ...In the brain of men and women. We're all equal we're all worthy. ...It's not what we have, it's who we are.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You are NOT allowed to discuss any system that you have heard at a show.....it's against the rules!

Good to see you around DaveyF. That is a funny comment.

It was never against the rules to discuss horrendous show systems in this forum. There is a little known area in the DEEP WBF, called, "wHAT'S wORST fORUM". There is a very active section where members share stories about truly terrible sounding show systems and a few other fascinating subjects. There is a lot of great information in there. You just have to know where to look. Once you peek inside, you will never be the same.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
good to see you around daveyf. That is a funny comment.

It was never against the rules to discuss horrendous show systems in this forum. There is a little known area in the deep wbf, called, "what's worst forum". There is a very active section where members share stories about truly terrible sounding show systems and a few other fascinating subjects. There is a lot of great information in there. You just have to know where to look. Once you peek inside, you will never be the same.

lol!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Is that under the Fight Club subforum called "Cross Talk" wherein TOS don't apply?

It was never against the rules to discuss horrendous show systems in this forum. There is a little known area in the DEEP WBF, called, "wHAT'S wORST fORUM". There is a very active section where members share stories about truly terrible sounding show systems and a few other fascinating subjects. There is a lot of great information in there. You just have to know where to look. Once you peek inside, you will never be the same.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Show environments should probably be considered fairly awkward and synthetic conditions for listening to music at the best of times.

The dealers and distributors that can get good sound in these circumstances with regularity are in my book more wizards than just technicians with set-up. That said probably the best sounds I have heard at a show were from Acoustic Evolution MM3 driven by Technical Brain and also a Kaiser Kawero with all Thrax electronics though I would like to get to Munich hi-end show next time and hear some of the extraordinary setups that appear there.

The three best systems I have heard however are all private setups in homes that had been quite completely optimised over a good period of time in circumstances where all the essential ingredients for great sound and experience where present... really great music in a good room, great choice and combination of beautiful components and particularly meticulous system infrastructure and system setup by enthusiastic and joyfully OTT music loving audiophiles.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Now that was a funny comment too! Thanks for making me laugh.

Glad you're back, DaveyF.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That poll was an easy one. I don't go to shows.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
What conclusions could be drawn from this poll? It's looking like a route against Hifi shows.

I think THE reason folks haven't heard the best system at a hifi show is due to poor room acoustics. To me, the reason isn't a lack of expensive gear in the setups. It can't be a lack a variety.

Thoughts?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Question: WHY does the best system one has ever heard of HAVE TO BE in a show?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing