Redbook 44.1 kHz standard: theoretically sufficient timbral resolution?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
While there will always be some who think otherwise, like most science-minded people I do not entertain the notion that somehow we can perceive frequencies above 20 kHz. Our hearing has upper limits, just like we cannot perceive any colors in the UV region, above the for us visible spectrum (unlike bees, for example, who can see stunning colors and color shapes in flowers where we simply cannot). Accordingly, missing high frequency content above 20 kHz would not form an argument against the Redbook CD 44.1 kHz standard. In this context is also worth noting that in the chain for vinyl playback ultrasonic content is greatly attenuated in order not to destroy cutting equipment, among others; this makes for a rather thin technical argument that vinyl is significantly superior to CD in this regard.

Of course, a greater bandwidth can always be advocated for purposes of avoiding artifacts in the audio band, yet this issue is frequently tackled by upsampling of 44.1 kHz digital to much higher frequencies (like 4 x 44.1 kHz = 176.4 kHz in my own DAC) and shallow filtering from there, so that for example phase issues in the audio band, such as introduced by the infamous 'brickwall' filtering, are avoided. I do find noteworthy the argument put forth by Chris Montgomery in his article "24/192 Music Downloads...and why they make no sense",

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

that ultrasonic content is actually harmful because with a lot of audio equipment it leads to intermodulation distortion products in the audio band (and this can be tested with the files that he posts).

The argument that the sampling rate of 44.1 kHz is insufficient is mostly based on the stairstep model, which is the result of a fundamental misunderstanding of the application of the Nyquist theorem in digital that lead to standards around that frequency cut-off (44.1 or 48 kHz). That the stairstep model is false has been convincingly argued, among others, by Chris Montgomery in the above cited article.

Even more strongly, his video,

https://www.xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

demonstrates that for any sinewave signal the 44.1 kHz bandwidth is sufficient, as it shows on an oscilloscope that even from a 20 kHz sinewave signal the analog waveform is reconstructed perfectly by a DAC, without any stairsteps (watch the first 9 minutes of the video, it will be stunning for those who are no familiar with this).

It has been suggested that any complex waveform can be synthesized from sinewaves, and thus according to the Nyquist theorem any music signal up to 20 kHz frequency can be perfectly represented by 44.1 kHz digital. Yet the following article by Chris Tham, "Exploring Digital Audio Myths and Reality Part 1" argues otherwise:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/exploring-digital-audio-myths-and-reality-part-1

While Chris Tham concurs with Chris Montgomery's argument that the idea that digital is 'discontinuous' is a myth and that the stairstep model is bogus, he also points out that square waves and sawtooth waves cannot be represented accurately by 44.1 kHz digital, see figures 7, 8 and 9 in the article.

He concludes:

"Some could argue that we don't listen to sawtooths or square waves, therefore Figures 6-8 are not significant. But we do - some musical instruments have harmonic characteristics very similar to sawtooth waves. And pop/rock music often contain music generated by synthesizers - sawtooth and square waves are fundamental building blocks for digitally synthesized music."

Indeed, it has been suggested that the waveforms of trumpet sound are similar to sawtooth waves, and the similarity, the asymmetry in the waveform, is seen in the graphs in section 1.6.1 in the following article:

http://www.feilding.net/sfuad/musi3012-01/html/lectures/005_sound_IV.htm

It is also noteworthy that in digital synthesis trumpet sound often appears to be emulated using sawtooth waves. Yet strangely enough, I do not find notable weakness in 16/44.1 digital when it comes to reproduction of trumpet sound. I find the medium very convincing in this area. On the other hand, compared to top-level analog it shows, to my ears, some weakness in reproduction of violin or saxophone sound, sounds that are very rich in overtones. Having said that, I have not yet heard the very best playback in digital; here is the witness of someone who owns the Berkeley Reference DAC, next to very advanced vinyl playback:

http://audioshark.org/dac-reviews-9...e-alpha-dac-review-6331-page2.html#post106059

From the post:

"A little backround, IMHO current digital state of the art still misses the best of analog on two marks: 1) reproduction of accurate timbres of instruments especially ones with significant high frequency overtones, 2) reproduction of the soundstage and spacing of instruments within that soundstage. [...] It was immediately apparent that the BADA Reference was doing something on issue 1 that I hadn't previously heard from Digital. In its own way, the BADA was as much a breakthrough on issue 1 as the Light Harmonic was on issue 2. There is a certain rightness about the best recordings through the BADA Reference. It flatters some of the most difficult to reproduce instruments like pianos and massed strings. Best of all, it didn't matter if it was Redbook or a HD source. The Redbook performance is striking. The BADA makes the format wars conversation almost silly."

So here it is argued that the timbral performance of Redbook digital matches the one of hi-rez; I have read somewhat similar testimonies about that DAC elsewhere.

So what is going on? Is the 44.1 kHz standard indeed theoretically, on a technical level, insufficient when it comes to proper timbral resolution of just acoustic instruments (disregarding odd non-sine waveforms from synthesizers), even if some people suggest that it does not matter in practice?

And what about the technical argument that ultrasonic frequency content from hi-rez digital can be harmful to sound reproduction in practice, because a lot of the downstream equipment cannot handle the bandwidth and causes intermodulation distortion products? (You can test this in your own equipment with the files Chris Montgomery posts in his above cited article.)

Reactions: henrich3

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The xiph.org videos are classics!

They are well presented and supported.

It's the MASTER that determines if the recorded performance sounds good or not.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Amen to that Gary. I have heard superb sounding PCM, DSD, tape and vinyl. The quality of the original recording and the care taken in producing the final product is more important that the format.

Reactions: retired farmer

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I agree, regarding the xiph videos.

* And what a great idea to have this thread in the Science [STRIKE]Fiction[/STRIKE] Forum section. :cool:

By the way, Bob Stuart is from the school that you need 88.2kHz for good digital audio performance. ...But that was years ago...I'm not sure where he stands today...because the digital technology keeps advancing. ...DACs, Jitter, Quantization, gentler filters, ...
tools
How do you "scramble" a word...strikethrough?

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Why we going around in circles again..again...again...again... :)
As mentioned many times before Monty's site is from a very specific and narrow narrative, this has been discussed at least 3-5 times in the past and I/others have provided reasons why; in summary much of his technical points do not reflect the real-world audio industry-environment-complete cycle.
Case in point his example of dynamic range of 16bits by using noise shaping/dither.... it is meaningless because as I mentioned before this could only be done at the last stage of mastering where one starts with a 20-bit or 24-bit source, this is further compounded that it requires a bespoke solution for the mastering and sometimes client playback; look to the previous solutions offered for better than CD quality on CD - Sony had Super Bit Mapping that does not require anything client end but I am not sure anyone did a valid comparison to test for subjective quality.
That is just one point, let along talking about the limitations of CD in terms of filter implementations and especially natural sin(x)/x rolloff (one example of having higher sampling rates to provide greater flexibility for time and frequency domain filter challenges):
http://www.analog.com/media/cn/training-seminars/tutorials/MT-017.pdf
http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3853
As it all has been mentioned before going to leave it at that :)
One needs to appreciate there is a balance between technical theory, specifics-focus-context, and real world implementation.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Why we going around in circles again..again...again...again... :)

I was asking a specific technical question, based on sinewaves vs. other waveforms, which I do not think has been extensively discussed in the past. So, no I do not think we go around in circles again. Rather, I would appreciate an answer to my specific question (and perhaps the follow-up question in my post too).

Thanks
Al

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Al,
yeah the links you provided and other aspects you touch on have been discussed at length especially his links.
I cannot see anything in your OP that has not been discussed in detail, I have argued about stair steps and transfer function theory so many times, a stair step like behaviour does occur as part of the transfer function - this has been debated between myself and Monty at length on here in the past, same way one can say there is a stair-step type behaviour for NOS Dacs, or low level signals without dither (remember dither must be added to the original signal so in theory it is another function within the process of ADC/digital)...
The stair step narrative they push with 'does not exist' annoys me from an engineering perspective because you need to ignore all the functions involved in digital to say there is no stair case and this must be specific context to the analogue output, but even then as I mention this is not entirely correct due to NOS DACs.
I have linked the various papers on this in the past, degree EE university lecture papers and those from others such as Analog Digital/etc primary educators.
Unfortunately much of those links your using oversimplify (including the sinewave approach) the crucial aspects of ADC-DAC functions, which then make it seem much of what Bob Stuart talks about does not exist, and my points about filters and their limitations when looking perfectly at both the time and frequency domain at CD quality 16bit/44.1khz.
I appreciate you may not had seen these threads and the valuable content becomes lost in pages of arguments, so maybe for some still needs to be discussed but unfortunately I am not sure you will get everyone involved, which is a shame for those who missed out before, sorry I cannot get enthusiasm for another myself.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Well, then I'll wait for someone else who actually wants to answer my question(s) -- hopefully in terms that I and others who do not have a physics degree either can understand, without too many mathematical formulas but perhaps with a few useful graphs.

After all, this is what this forum should be for, and I have put considerable effort into my post.

Thanks
Al

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
That you have, so fingers crossed someone will take the time to respond in full.
Might also be worth going through Don's technical section, he did a bit on digital stuff as a 101.
Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
And what about the technical argument that ultrasonic frequency content from hi-rez digital can be harmful to sound reproduction in practice, because a lot of the downstream equipment cannot handle the bandwidth and causes intermodulation distortion products? (You can test this in your own equipment with the files Chris Montgomery posts in his above cited article.)
I think this is a "PR talking" point and of no practical consequence. I can download high resolution audio and convert it to 44.1 KHz myself and compare. If there is audible IM, I should be able to hear it. And if so, I can then use the resampled version. Or buy new equipment that doesn't have that issue. So there is no situation where giving me 44.1 KHz is superior option. It is a degraded version of the file with no practical benefit.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

that ultrasonic content is actually harmful because with a lot of audio equipment it leads to intermodulation distortion products in the audio band (and this can be tested with the files that he posts).
If IM is a problem in a lot of audio equipment, it should be easy for Monty to organize a double blind test and show it. For now, his marketing material on that front is totally misleading. Here is a graph from it:

Notice that he has two tones at 30 and 33 Khz at nearly *full* amplitude (red and green). Where on earth does one get "music" that has near clipping spectrum at 30 Khz??? Here is a spectrum display from one my Reference Recording tracks:

I have marked the 30 Khz range. As you see it is at -105 dbfs. Inter Modulations of this will be far smaller yet and hence inaudible.

One has to have never looked at the spectrum of music to try to give the nonsensical example that he has.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah Amir, nearly everything is from a very specific narrative and very narrow focus-context, another good example you have shown that we all discussed in the past.
From what I remember when JA patiently did some testing for us, IM at worst is usually around -40db to -50db lower (lot of tests showed it -60db or lower) than the signals involved even when using extreme tones (such as 19+20khz, he also tested with much higher ones for us), so in your real-world example it would be very low.
If Monty had focused on SACD/DSD and the real-world ultrasonic noise hump instead he could argue it may (key point is only may) be influencing the perceived SQ due to the sum of it from a voltage/analogue output perspective and potential influence on pre/pwr amp/integrated but even that has not been proved and only surmised at by some engineers.

Did you see Al's question about sinewaves?
Probably makes more sense to focus on that if anyone wants to help.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Did you see Al's question about sinewaves?
Probably makes more sense to focus on that if anyone wants to help.

Yes, please. And thanks for your answers so far, Amir and Orb.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Rats. I typed a response to this but before I could hit "post," Windows decided to reboot and I lost it :(. So here is an abbreviated version.

The best way I can explain why we don't hear those squarewaves in digital is to talk about a fundamental fact in digital audio: to have a step response of any kind, you must have infinite bandwidth and energy.. Think about it. How can you go from level X to level Y in zero time?. That is what those little steps (and square wave) represent. Imagine how much energy you need to have your arm move from down to up position in zero time.

In nature, this can't happen because we don't have infinite energy. In computers though, we can readily create such content by say, having zero as one audio sample and 999 in the other. So in theory this requires infinite bandwidth and energy. But every digital audio system has a filter on the output of the DAC. That filter cuts out all the energy above half the sample rate. In doing so, it guarantees that no square wave or step response can ever come out. So no way do you ever see those little steps represented as digital samples coming out of the analog output of the DAC.

Now, there are 1-bit DACs and systems like DSD which attempt to actually produce such things. It is simpler to create a DAC out of binary values of zero and one. In that case, you are creating little steps and as a result, lots and lots of distortion that we call "noise." But these DACs have a solution to that in that they push that noise through a process called noise-shaping into ultrasonic audio range. This is what I think Orb is talking about.

Reactions: henrich3

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
he also points out that square waves and sawtooth waves cannot be represented accurately by 44.1 kHz digital, see figures 7, 8 and 9 in the article.

He concludes:

"Some could argue that we don't listen to sawtooths or square waves, therefore Figures 6-8 are not significant. But we do - some musical instruments have harmonic characteristics very similar to sawtooth waves. And pop/rock music often contain music generated by synthesizers - sawtooth and square waves are fundamental building blocks for digitally synthesized music."
I don't believe it. If the incoming 19997 Hz triangle or square wave is antialias filtered prior to the ADC, the ADC will see nothing but a 19997 Hz sine wave, so the ability of the system to preserve the amplitude should be just the same as if it was nothing but a sine wave we were sampling - which he agrees can be reproduced perfectly. In other words it will perfectly reproduce what our ears would hear assuming they can't hear above 22 khz.

In fact, I think he is naively generating sample values for a 'triangle wave' at a 44100 kHz sample rate and assuming that his audio editor's waveform interpolation is the same thing as anti-alias filtering. It isn't. It is the same as the reconstruction filter of a DAC, so he is effectively applying a reconstruction filter to a waveform that was already aliased - like sampling a high bandwidth triangle wave without an anti-aliasing filter and then playing it back over a DAC, hence the 'wobbles'.

So you can rest easy. This isn't digital audio's 'dirty secret'; digital audio does reproduce brass, and even synthesiser waveforms perfectly (as long as we accept that they are bandwidth-limited).

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
So you can rest easy. This isn't digital audio's 'dirty secret'; digital audio does reproduce brass, and even synthesiser waveforms perfectly as long as we accept that they are bandwidth-limited.
Just to add; and in the constraints of the digital filters (interpolation/reconstruction).
May seem a bit pedantic but is quite important when looking at this from the view of perfect, where those filter constraints also involve native bit-depth/sampling rate considerations.
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Rats. I typed a response to this but before I could hit "post," Windows decided to reboot and I lost it :(. So here is an abbreviated version.
Now, there are 1-bit DACs and systems like DSD which attempt to actually produce such things. It is simpler to create a DAC out of binary values of zero and one. In that case, you are creating little steps and as a result, lots and lots of distortion that we call "noise." But these DACs have a solution to that in that they push that noise through a process called noise-shaping into ultrasonic audio range. This is what I think Orb is talking about.
Nothing quite as annoying typing a lengthy informative post and then not being able to post it :)
On my point with DSD, yeah that is what I was talking about.
Just to clarify though as stair-step behaviour in a specific situation still exists (niche though), in theory step-like behaviour does exist at the analogue output for NOS DACs, along with hefty amounts of IMD but diminished a bit by the sin(x)/x rolloff - those interested look to those 2 papers I linked earlier regarding the roll-off when recreating digital to analogue.
This is where some part of the confusion-arguments exists in digital and sine waves output, many newish on this subject do not consider NOS DACs behave differently due to the lack of digital filters compared to the majority of DACs sold, and many technical people forget NOS DACs exist.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Tony Lauck

Aug 19, 2014
I was asking a specific technical question, based on sinewaves vs. other waveforms, which I do not think has been extensively discussed in the past. So, no I do not think we go around in circles again. Rather, I would appreciate an answer to my specific question (and perhaps the follow-up question in my post too).

Thanks
Al

Please repeat your specific question in a short, self-contained post.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
... This is where some part of the confusion-arguments exists in digital and sine waves output, many newish on this subject do not consider NOS DACs behave differently due to the lack of digital filters compared to the majority of DACs sold, and many technical people forget NOS DACs exist. ...

Not forgotten, just excluded. A DAC without a competently engineered reconstruction filter is broken.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't believe it. If the incoming 19997 Hz triangle or square wave is antialias filtered prior to the ADC, the ADC will see nothing but a 19997 Hz sine wave, so the ability of the system to preserve the amplitude should be just the same as if it was nothing but a sine wave we were sampling - which he agrees can be reproduced perfectly. In other words it will perfectly reproduce what our ears would hear assuming they can't hear above 22 khz.

In fact, I think he is naively generating sample values for a 'triangle wave' at a 44100 kHz sample rate and assuming that his audio editor's waveform interpolation is the same thing as anti-alias filtering. It isn't. It is the same as the reconstruction filter of a DAC, so he is effectively applying a reconstruction filter to a waveform that was already aliased - like sampling a high bandwidth triangle wave without an anti-aliasing filter and then playing it back over a DAC, hence the 'wobbles'.

So you can rest easy. This isn't digital audio's 'dirty secret'; digital audio does reproduce brass, and even synthesiser waveforms perfectly (as long as we accept that they are bandwidth-limited).

Thank you, Groucho, this was very helpful!

So if what you say is correct, then the same problems should also apply to his depiction of the 4001Hz 0dB sawtooth wave sampled at 44.1kHz (Fig. 7 in his link, http://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/exploring-digital-audio-myths-and-reality-part-1).

(Anti-aliasing filters, which Groucho mentions, restrict the bandwidth before a signal sampler, e.g, an analog/digital converter, see the wiki link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing_filter. That link also leads to an explanation of reconstruction filters, which perform the same function of bandwidth limiting at the DAC level.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing