Sonus Faber Elipsa

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Hi Guys:
I wasn't sure where to post this question so I decided on here. Do you guys think that the Pass Labs XA30.8 stereo amp is up to driving my most cherished Sonus Faber Elipsa speakers?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Elipsa specs are as follows:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
35 Hz - 30.000 Hz, tuning ports included.

SENSITIVITY
91 dB SPL (2,83 V/1m).

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE
4 ohm.

POWER HANDLING
50W - 300W, without clipping.

I have Strads and my Pass XA60.5's are enough for me power-wise but they do need more juice to really come alive and get controlled. I do recommend going up to the XA60.8's, at least, unless you play your music low. Strads and, I am sure, Elipsa need more juice. Even the recommended watts are at least 50wpc, so go up a little to be on the safe side.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Joe:
I never paid attention to the minimum power requirements. This was great advice. Thanks.

Nick

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Nick,

You are very welcome. I love my Strads and sure you love the Elipsa. I've only heard them briefly. You can never go wrong with a little more power. Please let us know what you decide.

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hi Nick,
I see only today your post, sorry if I'm late and you just made your choice.. following some considerations in order to choose the correct amp for your speakers.
I am an Elipsa Red owner, and I tested some amps in the past.

Starting form the measures, copy & past quote from Stereophile:
"Though this is slightly lower than the specified 91dB, the shortfall is not important. While it will therefore require less of a voltage swing to play loud, the speaker is still a demanding load for the partnering amplifier, with an impedance magnitude that drops to 2.5 ohms throughout the upper bass (fig.1). There is also a punishing combination of 4 ohms magnitude and –50 ° electrical phase angle at 70Hz that will suck gobs of current from the amplifier."

So.. -50% phase angle could mean a load down to even 1ohm at 70hz. Joe is right in order to suggest more power, and I'll do the same.

You cannot be wrong for an amp that come close to doubling wattage for every halving of load impedance from 8ohm 4ohm 2ohm.

-Max

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Well said Max.

Thank you for adding that information.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Hi guys. Quick update: I decided on the ARC Ref75 SE to drive the Elipsas. Very happy with this amplifier. It seems to drive the Sonus Fabers effortlessly. I also purchased the LS27 preamp. It is the best sound I've ever had in my listening room. I do though, have a hankering to upgrade the pre to a Ref5 SE preamp :) Thanks for your input.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing