A push in the right direction please (speaker cable)

dabs

Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire England
Hello there everyone,

Firstly id like to say hello because I'm new here, my name is david.

I'm looking for a little advice on some speaker wire, I'm not wanting to spend mega money and would like some suggestions on low cost cable that is pure copper, maybe you guys might be able to push me in the right direction.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

Best wishes

david

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hi David, shameless plug here... i will soon be selling a set of Audioquest Volcano speaker cables with the 72dbs. Hi purity copper, nice cables in good condition. They are a little old now, I bought them a half dozen years back and have changed a lot of gear around them. Even new on the market there were price drops on these so a used pair won't cost much (no I don't yet have a number) compared to what I paid originally. With a little sluthing you can probably find a review on the interwebs.

dabs

Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire England
Hi there shameless, I could be interested in purchasing your speaker wire, only thing is how long is each piece of cable. And how much would you be looking for this cable. Thank you for replying to my thread.

Many thanks

David

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hi David, Check your inbox for PM.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Buy it like a contractor. Belden: Shielded. Insulated. Jacketed in flame-resistant material you can literally drag through the crawlspace of your house without compromising. Solid conductor (stranded is available if you need the flexibility). 99.96% pure, oxygen free copper. Get a roll of 1000 ft for less than $100.

Tim

dabs

Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire England
hi tim,

sorry for being a little stupid, but what exactly do i type into google to look for? like i know its belden, but what is the type? I'm from england and just really getting started out.

david

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If it's in your budget UPOCC copper is the best available. Just be careful to make sure the seller is trustworthy, there are lots of counterfeit cables and wire out there. Chinese sellers on Ebay are almost all selling fakes.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
hi tim,

sorry for being a little stupid, but what exactly do i type into google to look for? like i know its belden, but what is the type? I'm from england and just really getting started out.

david

Type in Belden speaker cables. You'll find several types, and quite a few suppliers. I don't know it it is available in England or not, but it is the standard in the US.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
hi dave

would you be as kind to show me a link to where i can buy this cable

many thanks

david

Wireworld, DH Labs, Master Built, ZenWave... ;) And others for sure... Neotech is the only company licensed to produce genuine UPOCC wire right now and they supply wire and finished cables to many high end cable manufacturers. I am biased but I believe it's far better than conventional wire. UPOCC copper has less warmth and better resolution vs regular copper and is not fatiguing like lower purity silver wire.

dabs

Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire England
hi there microstrip,

thanks for the link I'm confused because the link shows me cable that has four pieces of wire to each cable? is this not for bi wiring? I'm sorry I'm a little new to all this

david

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Both Mogami and Belden make excellent audio cables (they would be my first choices).

But:

a] Do not use shielded cables for loudspeakers. Because the shield can make the amplifier unhappy.

b] 4 conductor cables for a single loudspeaker are good, just connect the opposite wires to one terminal.
But don't fall for that bi-wiring nonsense.

yayoxoxo

Aug 13, 2015
Hello there everyone,

Firstly id like to say hello because I'm new here, my name is david.

I'm looking for a little advice on some speaker wire, I'm not wanting to spend mega money and would like some suggestions on low cost cable that is pure copper, maybe you guys might be able to push me in the right direction.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

Best wishes

david

I've been using the Monoprice 12AWG copper wire. Might want to check this out http://www.pricenfees.com/best-speaker-wire.html It does everything you'd expect in good speaker cable lol.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing