The Amazon you might not know

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
New York Times article on its culture, not really news to us in the tech world, but see how extreme it can be http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/t...-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?&_r=0

And Bezos' response http://www.marketwatch.com/story/je...cribed-in-new-york-times-bombshell-2015-08-17 - or as we might say, DENIAL; would the NYT really risk a slander lawsuit???

What's not covered in the NYT article is Bezos' infamous question-mark "?" email forwards, where you are expected to respond to an hour (if I remember correctly).

Just one of the many interesting quotes:

To get new team members, one veteran said, sometimes “you drown someone in the deep end of the pool,” then take his or her subordinates. Ideas are critiqued so harshly in meetings at times that some workers fear speaking up.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
New York Times article on its culture, not really news to us in the tech world, but see how extreme it can be http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/t...-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?&_r=0

And Bezos' response http://www.marketwatch.com/story/je...cribed-in-new-york-times-bombshell-2015-08-17 - or as we might say, DENIAL; would the NYT really risk a slander lawsuit???

What's not covered in the NYT article is Bezos' infamous question-mark "?" email forwards, where you are expected to respond to an hour (if I remember correctly).

Just one of the many interesting quotes:

Interesting. IMO corporations are evil. They bring out the very worst in the human animal. I fully admit to being an Amazon shopper but it
gives me pause when I think about how many local shops they ran out of business.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Interesting. IMO corporations are evil. They bring out the very worst in the human animal. I fully admit to being an Amazon shopper but it
gives me pause when I think about how many local shops they ran out of business.
I agree Andre! I try and purchase locally whenever I can, which is more often than not. I also prefer to support one or two audio dealers with an online presence and with whom I've had great experiences. Having said that, I don't dislike Amazon and purchase quite a bit from them as well, especially their UK site for vinyl. One thing about Amazon is that their CS is tough to beat. I haven't had to use it all that much, but when I did it was hassle-free and first-rate.

How Bezos runs his company is less of a concern to me, as long as he delivers.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Interesting. IMO corporations are evil. They bring out the very worst in the human animal.

Make that, more specifically, publicly traded companies. The biotech company I work for is privately held, and will remain so, because that allows the executives to pursue their goals independent of short-term shareholder interests, which usually lead to evil consequences.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I agree Andre! I try and purchase locally whenever I can, which is more often than not. I also prefer to support one or two audio dealers with an online presence and with whom I've had great experiences. Having said that, I don't dislike Amazon and purchase quite a bit from them as well, especially their UK site for vinyl. One thing about Amazon is that their CS is tough to beat. I haven't had to use it all that much, but when I did it was hassle-free and first-rate.

How Bezos runs his company is less of a concern to me, as long as he delivers.
Bingo.

I try to give local stores the business first. But they often just can't compete. Quick example:
I went specifically to a local shoe store to buy a pair of orthotic sandals instead of amazon because
the price was the same and I want to support them. I liked them so much I wanted two more pairs in
different colors. They said they would order them and it would be there in a few days and they would
call me. A week goes by no call. I made the trip there, and there was a sign they were closed to an
emergency. Ok. Made another trip a few days later, the shipment did not come.

Went home, ordered the pairs from Amazon. The were here in two days. No hassle. No wasted time and gas.

I have had many experiences like this. Amazon has spoiled for quick delivery, ENDLESS stock, and the ability to
return things no questions asked. Prime is also addicting like crack. Hit "place Your order" and the darn thing is
at your door step in two days. I got my sandals delivered on a SUNDAY!!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Make that, more specifically, publicly traded companies. The biotech company I work for is privately held, and will remain so, because that allows the executives to pursue their goals independent of short-term shareholder interests, which usually lead to evil consequences.

Agree.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Just one example of the collateral damage inflicted by (blind following of) the cult of shareholder value creation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing