What are the correct priorities for system upgrades??

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The thread on giant killer speakers and particularly some of the latest posts has reminded me that this was a thread I wanted to start and which I hope will be helpful to all those members who want to upgrade their systems but may have difficulty in deciding their priorities within available resources.
Looking back I am sure that like most people I didn't always get my priorities right but latterly I think I have got better at it.I have a mixture of analogue and digital. Recent component upgrades have included an MD 109 tuner because here in the UK we are blessed with the wonderful BBC. I went from MD 106 to MD 108 to MD 108T and now am at the top of the FM tuner tree.Finding a good used 109 wasn't easy and took some time so the intervening steps made sense.
Over a period of 20+ years I went from Naim Nait to Naim 500/552DR. Mistake. I should have looked more widely at other brands. Happily I did not lose out financially because Naim gear holds its value well and I even made a profit selling them in favour of my Vitus SIA 025 which gives me a much more musical sound, the option of Class A and balanced connections.
Three years ago I upgraded to YG Carmels which was one of the best buys ever and neither of the aforementioned upgrades phased them in any way. They just did their job and sounded better than ever thanks to the improved sources. So in my experience upgrading the speakers would come very high on my list of upgrade priorities. The current YG Kipod Signature passives have been equally successful.
The DCS Puccini in place of the Esoteric X03SE was again a great buy as was the Puccini u clock that followed.The Esoteric to my ears was cold and uninvolving despite all the good reviews.
What I had not appreciated until very recently was how big an improvement I would get for replacing the Puccini clock with a Scarlatti clock. Made a big improvement.
My Townshend Rock V to replace a Linn LP 12 was a bit of leap in the dark. A good one came up on Ebay at a good price and I was the only bidder. Happily my fascination with a Rock V was not a disappointment.
Over the last three years I have invested significantly in Entreq grounding and cables and until the recent purchases of the Kipods and the Scarlatti clock that was what I concentrated on.In my experiencespending money on Entreq grounding and better cables, Entreq or otherwise, should have a high priority and depending on circumstances ahead of components.
If you are heavily into digital and PC audio, which I am not, I guess that in addition to the above the best DAC you can afford must be a high priority.
The other thing I learn't was reviews are only part of the answer and some reviewers are more reliable than others. It also helps to know what their systems are. Some of my purchases relied on reviews. Didn't work for the Esoteric but no problem with the Puccini and the Townshend, or the MD tuners. Heard the Carmels at Munich two years running and then bought, but the Kipods again relied on reviews, but supported by the three year experience in the home of the Carmels.
I'd love to hear other members thoughts and experiences on setting priorities for upgrading ones' system and hopefully it will be helpful to everybody else on the upgrade path.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
YMMV but here goes from first to last:

speakers
power amp
preamp
sources
cables
tweaks

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I forgot the room!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I forgot the room!

Yes, I agree with Steve, room first.

I also agree with cables being last. I haven't upgraded analog cables in 22 years, but did some switching up to that point until I found sufficiently good ones. They've held up through all my upgrades. My digital cable is quite new, but only because prior to that I had optical connection between Wadia transport and DAC, instead of AES/EBU.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
1. The music recordings.
2. The speakers and the room together.
3. Amp(s) and preamp.
4. The playback music source(s).

* Miscellaneous...cable interconnects, power distribution, speaker cables, power cords, setups, speaker positioning, no cluttering of gear, simplicity everywhere with short paths between everything, ...etc., ...all that is part of the overall system, and as such as no position, no order in number...it's just good common sense in synergy of the total ensemble.

...And a clean listening room, ...no dust, not dirty laundry, comfortable to be in, pleasing decor wise for the women and the men.
Nice painting on the walls, nice sculptures on top of the speakers ;-) and some nice tropical green plants and flowers between the speakers and near the walls (front, rear and sides). ...Brief, a paradise room where the music flows freely like being in the jungle among the trees and the wildlife. :b
...Cats, dogs, tigers are all welcome if they don't start chewing the gear, the speakers and the plants (flowers included). ...But this is optional, @ the discretion of each individual who are responsible and diligent in looking after their pets, and their friends.

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I wouldn't worry too much about the room as long as it doesn't consist of bare floors and walls. My philosophy now is get the foundation of your stereo in place, and then any piece of gear will work at its best right from the start. If the foundation is weak then no matter how great the gear, it will operate at a sub-par level.

The foundation consists of vibration control (rack, isolation devices), power (separate 20 amp lines for source and amps), power conditioners, power cables, interconnect cables, and speaker cables.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
1. The music recordings.

I am a music lover first, so I usually play the performances/music I want, in the quality available. Sometimes I look for a substitute for a given performance by another one in better sound quality, but not often.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The suggestions sound more like when building a new system. Concerning upgrades I'd address the weakest link first.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I wouldn't worry too much about the room as long as it doesn't consist of bare floors and walls. My philosophy now is get the foundation of your stereo in place, and then any piece of gear will work at its best right from the start. If the foundation is weak then no matter how great the gear, it will operate at a sub-par level.

The foundation consists of vibration control (rack, isolation devices), power (separate 20 amp lines for source and amps), power conditioners, power cables, interconnect cables, and speaker cables.

I was @ the audio store the other day, and listening to some speakers. I asked the audio dealer if he has any listening rooms to choose from and that I can test @ home; he said not yet. :b

We're pretty much @ the mercy of our own room(s) @ home, so acoustic room treatments play a good role in our overall acoustical music listening enjoyment.

The speakers we buy...they should be happy...in the room they'll end up reproducing music for us.
...Large rooms, large speakers...large awesomeness.
...Small rooms, smaller speakers...smaller awesomeness.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
room
speakers
power amp
preamp
sources
cables

Until about 2 years ago I had no idea of the importance of the room. I had heard that leather furniture was beneficial and had bought a leather suite. I also have two tapestries on the wall, one behind the the speakers and the second on the speaker facing wall.The room had also been coved some time before. As I moved up the upgrade path I was advised that the acoustics of my lounge were very good - 21 x 12 feet with speakers roughly centred and firing across the room which had as much to do with practical considerations as sound quality.
Just lucky really, but now have realised just how important the room is and hopefully the importance of the room will be more widely recognised as a result of the above contributions to this thread.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Why amps before sources?

You match your speaker to the room. Your amps to your speakers. The sources are most important theory was promulgated back in the 70's by someone who only produced sources (turntables) at the time. Hogwash.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You match your speaker to the room. Your amps to your speakers.
The sources are most important theory was promulgated back in the 70's by someone who only produced sources (turntables) at the time. Hogwash.

You are right Jim. ...And you match the preamp with the amps.
Then the sources would come into play...from what your playback system consist of...LPs, CDs, tapes, hi-res music server, ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A pragmatic (and very personal) approach:

You already have the room, it was not chosen just for your audiophile dreams.

Everything will go around the chosen source - vinyl, cd, music server, tape, tube, solid state ...

The preamplfier and power should be a matched set and define the soul of your system.

There are many speakers that please you, your electronics and your room - you now pick them.

You really need the proper cables to get the best of your previous choices.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Here is what I found to be the priorities for my system in my room:

1. Proper system set up: listening seat and speaker positions in the room, then, for analog, correct cartridge and tonearm settings.
2. Speakers for the room
3. Amps for the speakers
4. Source: arm and cartridge quality and match, then turntable
5. Electricity and vibration control
6. Phono amp
7. Preamp
8. Cables
9. Tweaks

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
...And last but not least; the owner's set of ears who has that room and that gear. ...And his interaction, @ the emotional/awe level, with all of that...plus how he/she translates that love with all his friends...Andre, Ron, Amir, Davey, Mike, Peter, Myles, Mark, Christian, AJ, Joe, Nelson, Deb, Kate, Cheryl, Terry, Don, Carl, Jim, Tim, Tom, John, Michael, Chris, Lloyd, Ian, Steve, David, Francisco, Bill, Orb, Barry, Bob, and the 5,000+ members and about 25,000 guests. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing