AQ Jitterbug Measurements

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I'll admit I don't get that. It purifies the USB bus feeding the DAC without being in the port feeding the DAC? I'd still like to know how that works, though it may be a challenge for me to understand it.

Tim

Maybe by reducing noise in the USB Vbus & USB ground network?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Maybe by reducing noise in the USB Vbus & USB ground network?

Maybe. Is this all one circuit so plugging into an unused USB port could potentially impact another one?

Tim

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Im a bit confused. The literature i have seen from AQ clearly states the first place the Jitterbug should be used is between your usb cable and DAC. Then in parallel as a second priority. You seem to be suggesting something different..can you clarify?

I switched the Jitterbug out of the unused slot and into the slot feeding the Wyrd and DAC. Sounds the same as when I used the unused slot. So......

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Maybe. Is this all one circuit so plugging into an unused USB port could potentially impact another one?

Tim

I am a bit leery with that set-up myself, but neither of us have heard it in both scenarios or tested it in a way like the Melco N1A.
The motherboard is pretty noisy and quite a few USB ports will share the same bus, btw did you check that guide/application note I posted earlier from a Japanese manufacturer that designs noise/EMI/RFI suppression components for various sectors?
It would be interesting to see the jitterbug,Melco N1A (only using direct-local USB), and MacBook tested at same time in a few scenarios-setups, with battery operational DACs.
Cheers
Orb

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I switched the Jitterbug out of the unused slot and into the slot feeding the Wyrd and DAC. Sounds the same as when I used the unused slot. So......

Even more interesting. I trust your findings. Please keep reporting back. Especially when the second JB arrives.

I have no preconceived notions of what users will report with these devices, so I hope we get a decent sampling of experiences to establish some pattern.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

Tim

If the USB ports share power & ground, then it seems possible that anything that cleans up this power and/or ground could well have a beneficial effect on SQ, even if the cleaning device is plugged into a different USB port from the one being used by the audio device.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
My RF engineering mafia friend tells me that Gordon Rankin wasn't the jitterbucks designer.
That is a bold claim, and needs to be backed up by facts and names. A post citing an anonymous source accusing Audioquest of being liars is
simply amateur hour. There has to be a higher standard.

"The design of Jitterbug involved a number of people including Gordon Rankin (who also designed the AudioQuest DragonFly DAC), and Steve Silberman, Garth Powell, Bill Low, and Joe Harley all from AudioQuest. Here's a bit more from AQ:

Gordon had been discussing ways to reduce the noise that plagues computing devices and it seemed clear to him that two distinct filters were needed: one to address the noise over the data line and a second to address the noise over the 5V power line. Additionally, Gordon had explored where such a device might be most effective and decided it should be at the host (computer), rather than at the client (DAC). Later, we learned that placing the filter at the host offered the additional benefit of using two filters (one in series and one in parallel) per bus, or of using USB filters on the unused ports of streaming devices."

http://www.audiostream.com/content/...b-data-power-noise-filter#BFbEf6Ziud55epKc.97

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is a bold claim, and needs to be backed up by facts and names. A post citing an anonymous source accusing Audioquest of being liars is
simply amateur hour. There has to be a higher standard.

"The design of Jitterbug involved a number of people including Gordon Rankin (who also designed the AudioQuest DragonFly DAC), and Steve Silberman, Garth Powell, Bill Low, and Joe Harley all from AudioQuest. Here's a bit more from AQ:

Gordon had been discussing ways to reduce the noise that plagues computing devices and it seemed clear to him that two distinct filters were needed: one to address the noise over the data line and a second to address the noise over the 5V power line. Additionally, Gordon had explored where such a device might be most effective and decided it should be at the host (computer), rather than at the client (DAC). Later, we learned that placing the filter at the host offered the additional benefit of using two filters (one in series and one in parallel) per bus, or of using USB filters on the unused ports of streaming devices."

http://www.audiostream.com/content/...b-data-power-noise-filter#BFbEf6Ziud55epKc.97
It doesn't say he designed it. The design as I understand the architecture, is just electronics hobby level anyway so it really doesn't matter one way or the other.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
It doesn't say he designed it. The design as I understand the architecture, is just electronics hobby level anyway so it really doesn't matter one way or the other.

Well it would be wrong to say he was not involved (until proven otherwise), which is how Dallas post could be interpreted.
As it involved multiple engineers, his involvement may had been consultancy (but that is still active involvement), that said I do remember Gordon commenting on this subject relating to noise and possibly in context of the Jitterbug (I need to try and remember where I got that.... and I may have it totally ass about face lol - could had been the Uptone USB regenerator *shrug*).
Cheers
Orb

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
01/15/2015
"AudioQuest’s new USB bizzo was so named by founder andchief designer Bill Low whilst the initial idea sprang from a conversationbetween Steve Silberman and Gordon Rankin. Rankin designed the circuit withGarth Powell adding his power supply nouse during the second phase of theJitterBug’s development. That’s a goodly number of people for a product that’sno bigger than your thumb."

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/01/audioquest-demo-pre-production-jitterbug-at-ces-2015/

PS, I know Perry Mason's RF engineering mafia friend.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

"The design of Jitterbug involved a number of people including Gordon Rankin.."

The statement form AQ is clear as day, so what are you talking about?

Also, it surely does matter. People will in this hobby will buy a product with confidence if certain designers are involved.
Your statement is really puzzling. :eek:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
01/15/2015
"AudioQuest’s new USB bizzo was so named by founder andchief designer Bill Low whilst the initial idea sprang from a conversationbetween Steve Silberman and Gordon Rankin. Rankin designed the circuit withGarth Powell adding his power supply nouse during the second phase of theJitterBug’s development. That’s a goodly number of people for a product that’sno bigger than your thumb."

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/01/audioquest-demo-pre-production-jitterbug-at-ces-2015/

PS, I know Perry Mason's RF engineering mafia friend.

"Rankin designed the circuit"...pretty clear, eh?

We have to have a higher standard than drive by posts that are highly questionable factually.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
"The design of Jitterbug involved a number of people including Gordon Rankin.."

The statement form AQ is clear as day, so what are you talking about?
"involve" is not the same as "designed." A lot of people are involved in a company to get a product to fruition but that doesn't mean a lot of them designed it. And regardless, as I said, this is just a step beyond electronics 101 from circuit design point of view so it doesn't matter if he gets or doesn't get credit. I am sure he wouldn't lose sleep one way or the other over it.

Also, it surely does matter. People will in this hobby will buy a product with confidence if certain designers are involved.
Your statement is really puzzling. :eek:
This is not any old "product." It is just a filter. It is not an amplifier, loudspeaker, etc.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
"involve" is not the same as "designed." A lot of people are involved in a company to get a product to fruition but that doesn't mean a lot of them designed it. And regardless, as I said, this is just a step beyond electronics 101 from circuit design point of view so it doesn't matter if he gets or doesn't get credit. I am sure he wouldn't lose sleep one way or the other over it.

This is not any old "product." It is just a filter. It is not an amplifier, loudspeaker, etc.

I think it is a rather dismissive attitude. And I am SURE Rankin cares. He makes his living outsourcing his talents.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Amir,
a military grade capacitor is just a capacitor, but it can have big implications (without it would not work) in making a very loud and very explosive bomb :)
Quite amusing tried to do a search for the ones I am thinking of and funny enough nothing coming up in search engine... oh well got a feeling that is me on a temporary hot list :)

Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think it is a rather dismissive attitude. And I am SURE Rankin cares. He makes his living outsourcing his talents.
I am not trying to be dismissive at all. I am simply saying the circuit design is trivial, and is something you give to an intern to do in a couple of days. No engineer I know of would want to brag or attempt to get credit for it. The concept may be novel but not the "design." I know I would not care if anyone gave me credit if I had designed this circuit.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I have no preconceived notions of what users will report with these devices, so I hope we get a decent sampling of experiences to establish some pattern.

I have seen a couple of very enthusiatic reviews over at CA with people using 2 JBs on the source: one in series, and the second on an unused port, and then feeding the Regen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing