AQ Jitterbug Measurements

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Exactly. I see that kind of fallacious thinking quite often these days, as if all equipment are perfectly engineered...

Well glad three of us (Jkeny is the other) agree on the critical aspect for considering active components combined with passive ones and also environment, and not all products are equal due to constraints either from size/project scope/implementation-complexity/cost.
Sort of reminds me of the massive debate on interconnect cables that John Curl measured and the behaviour difference between a real world environment (involving multiple active components,general mains,passive components) and a truly controlled-isolated measurement environment with only the passive cable.
Was an interesting discussion-investigation by a fair few engineers, that unfortunately never did get concluded.
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Amir,
from the technical library with Agilent I am thinking of technical presentations/application notes/papers/etc created by Jim Choate, he was involved with the USB Compliance committee/Working Group.
Cheers
Orb

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Be interesting to check how many DACs are FS or HS and utilising the 5V.
That said in theory the concept would still be applicable to HS, and without knowing what manufacturer's filters and components they used we cannot tell if it also works for that, so deformation guaranteed but filtering a pro if they considered both situations.
Cheers
Orb
The frequencies to be filtered will be different for HS compared to FS so a device that contains fixed frequency filters deigned to operate with HS will be less than optimal with FS frequency range.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The frequencies to be filtered will be different for HS compared to FS so a device that contains fixed frequency filters deigned to operate with HS will be less than optimal with FS frequency range.

Depends how they created the circuitry and its complexity, but yeah of course if it is done in a simple way.
Think of how a DAC can have dual clocks, one for each multiple - not saying it is the same just for context.
Although I would say the Jitterbug is a bit simplistic, but not something that has been clarified with the product on forums or from tests.
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Oops I should had also mentioned in the previous post.
Michael Lavorgna had issues in the past with the LightSpeed USB cable when listening to Kind of Blue at DSD64, I could be wrong but this I think needs USB Audio Class 2 and that requires HS not FS.
So we know the Jitterbug did improve the situation for him on HS when using the USB LightSpeed cable with the Exact clock setting of the Vega - I know the Exact setting can be fickle even for other users and their own setup/hardware/cable.

Worth noting he is also using a Mac (as do Hi-fi News reviewers and for measurement-testing if a product improves the end-to-end)....Appreciate there are plenty of models and this is an incredibly tenuous link I am suggesting :)
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Just checked my Audiophilleo which uses 5 volt and it is High-Speed.
Thanks Amir.
That the USB-to-S/PDIF bridge-converter?
Hmm I got a feeling you will see not any improvements on that due to its design to isolate as much as possible, will be interesting though.
Cheers
Orb

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Oh, that is more reasonable. I could buy it or you could send it to me. I just sent you my info. You can decide :).

Definitely very reasonable: by their own account, they have a minimal markup around twice parts cost if I remember correctly.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Amir.
That the USB-to-S/PDIF bridge-converter?
Yes. They have two versions one with external power but the ones I have use USB power.

Hmm I got a feeling you will see not any improvements on that due to its design to isolate as much as possible, will be interesting though.
Cheers
Orb
I am staying open minded :). Have to finish a long overdue presentation on video I am doing at CEDIA conference. Once I get that out of the way I will spend some time evaluating this thing.

Steve Silberman

Aug 31, 2015
Colorado
Hello Amir –

There seems to be some confusion regarding who the designer(s) of JitterBug is. If you don't mind I'd like to clear the air here once and for all. This will be the only post I make on this subject. Gordon Rankin is the chief designer of JitterBug, with invaluable contributions coming from Garth Powell on the Vbus circuit. Industrial design, packaging and marketing all come from Bill Low's leadership and vision. Joe Harley is our head evaluator, on this and all products that come out of AudioQuest. Hopefully this will put any confusion to rest.

Sincerely,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello Amir –

There seems to be some confusion regarding who the designer(s) of JitterBug is. If you don't mind I'd like to clear the air here once and for all. This will be the only post I make on this subject. Gordon Rankin is the chief designer of JitterBug, with invaluable contributions coming from Garth Powell on the Vbus circuit. Industrial design, packaging and marketing all come from Bill Low's leadership and vision. Joe Harley is our head evaluator, on this and all products that come out of AudioQuest. Hopefully this will put any confusion to rest.

Sincerely,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest
Hi Steve. It is a pleasure to have industry people join the forum to answer such questions. And yes, this should put the issue to bed.

Thanks so much.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi Steve. It is a pleasure to have industry people join the forum to answer such questions. And yes, this should put the issue to bed.

Thanks so much.

Perhaps an apology is in order? There have some here that have been loose and fast with the facts on several matters.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hello Amir –

Sincerely,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest

Hi Steve:

Thanks for clarifying. Greatly appreciated.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
An apology;), LOL, not on this forum!

It is never too late to start!

FYI, there is a difference between making a mistake factually, and being lazy, or being definitive with facts, with out bothering to check, or maybe worse, relying on questionable sources.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Perhaps an apology is in order? There have some here that have been loose and fast with the facts on several matters.

Several apologies should be in order, IMO. Lots of F.U.D. in the beginning of this thread.

Fortunately, it appears the thread is turning into a better one as time goes by.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing