new speakers suggestions

yayoxoxo

Aug 13, 2015
Hello everyone,

Let me start off saying I'm a complete noob when it comes to hi-def audio.. which is what brings me to my next question :) I'm looking for some new speakers for an office - preferably something that will go nicely with my desktop (nothing too big and not too many speakers all over the place). I have a budget of $300-$500 and want to get nothing but the best in terms of sound quality. I've been skimming through the threads and haven't really found exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any pointers for where I should start looking? :confused:

Thanks in advanced for your help.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
How big is not too big and how many speakers do you want?

At a $300-500 budget, you won't get the fine audio details of high rez audio any better than good MP3 or CDs.

Concentrate on getting the best sound you can afford.

yayoxoxo

Aug 13, 2015
Well, I would like for them to fit nicely without taking up too much space on the desk. Preferably 2.. though I haven't really thought about it...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
^^^^ good choice

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Also, if you are close to decent musical instrument supply store you should be able to hear several brands and models in your price range.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gary Koh was talking about a pair of speakers that would fit this bill a couple of years ago. Johnny, is the pair you linked the ones I am thinking of?

Full disclosure: I have not heard said speakers but they were highly rated by some heavy hitters, which is why they came to mind.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gary Koh was talking about a pair of speakers that would fit this bill a couple of years ago. Johnny, is the pair you linked the ones I am thinking of?

Full disclosure: I have not heard said speakers but they were highly rated by some heavy hitters, which is why they came to mind.

Tom
They might be Tom, but I don't honestly remember. I looked at them myself because of all of the praise they've received, yet I prefer KRK actives. I find them to be a bit warmer sounding, which is what I like.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Do you want active or passive speakers?

I've listened to some (passive) speakers in this price range, and my choice was the Wharfedale line.

They have this one

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=76

At $349, it's within your budget.

There's an even smaller model, the 210, for $299.

These are pretty impressive for the size (and price). The finishing on them is pretty good as well.

alexandre

yayoxoxo

Aug 13, 2015

I've just been surfin the internet and found this speakers guide. I see they listed the AudioEngine A2+'s but not the A5+'s (both of which look very similar), and the A2+s happen to be a little bit cheaper. Do you think the A2+'s are comparable, or is that extra hundred bucks or so completely worth it in terms of sound quality?

Lets see... from what I've been reading, active speakers have a built in power source (like an amplifier), and passive do not? What are the advantages of going for active over passive (if any)?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The smaller ones have little less bass. ...The woofer is only 2.75".

Active is cool because you don't need an amplifier...so your desk has more space.

And welcome! :b

? www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/1207ae/index.html

_______

The A5+ have a 5" woofer, ...more bass.

Get the A5+. :b

Last edited:

yayoxoxo

Aug 13, 2015
okay so it looks like the A5+'s are the way to go. Im grabbin them on amazon now..ill report back in a week or so n let you all know how they sound!

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Audioengine are good. The Monitor Audio A10 is also really good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing