Would it make sense to manufacture a playback only R2R?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I've requested information from Fred Thal regarding ATAE's SHRO headblocks for my two A-820's.
Perhaps, an SHRO-type headblock for record, too.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I've requested information from Fred Thal regarding ATAE's SHRO headblocks for my two A-820's.
Perhaps, an SHRO-type headblock for record, too.

ever since Fred told us about the auto tensioner on the A-820 when switching head blocks from 1/4" to 1/2" I've been thinking of getting a second head block for each machine to allow me to dub back and forth either 1/4" to 1/4", or 1/2" to 1/2".

and if I did get a second head block and guides for each deck it might as well be SHRO-type. I say that so easily without knowing the tariff. but no doubt it would deliver the goods.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
ever since Fred told us about the auto tensioner on the A-820 when switching head blocks from 1/4" to 1/2" I've been thinking of getting a second head block for each machine to allow me to dub back and forth either 1/4" to 1/4", or 1/2" to 1/2".

and if I did get a second head block and guides for each deck it might as well be SHRO-type. I say that so easily without knowing the tariff. but no doubt it would deliver the goods.

Very nice to have the flexibility. I do 1/2" to 1/2", 1/4" to 1/4". 1/2' to 1/4" and 1/4" to 1/2". Takes me about 2-3 minutes to switch head blocks and guides. Larry

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Very nice to have the flexibility. I do 1/2" to 1/2", 1/4" to 1/4". 1/2' to 1/4" and 1/4" to 1/2". Takes me about 2-3 minutes to switch head blocks and guides. Larry

I can do this as well... just takes me a little longer for calibration. It's a labor of love!!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

The A-820's are fantastic for recalling and implementing custom data...tensions -- for example.
I've watched and have had questions answered by Charlie Bolois while he was performing deck and audio alignments.
The tensions stored in A-820 memory were custom for the tape I typically use for recording.

I thought you had 4 headstacks/blocks, Mike? Currently, I have two 1/4" stacks and two 1/2" stacks -- all ERP.

I expect Fred's SHRO headblocks should be high echelon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing