The New Queen release (LP box set and Rega "Queen" turntable)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm wondering if that is your comment to the article posted. If so, I can see you have no love of or for it.

I like Queen, but can take them or leave them, so this doesn't interest me regardless of the process used.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Johnny,
Yes, it was my comment. The issue isn't necessarily Queen, but the idea of buying a fancy boxed set of LPs that were made from a digital mastering process.
Marty

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Digital and coloured vinyl

I don't think so

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Johnny,
Yes, it was my comment. The issue isn't necessarily Queen, but the idea of buying a fancy boxed set of LPs that were made from a digital mastering process.
Marty

There were comments made more recently by Bob Ludwig explaining the reason for going to a digital master. In a nutshell, apparently the sheer amount of editing, "fixes" and EQ changes demanded by the Queen camp precluded doing it in the analogue domain. Personally I don't have a big problem when a 24 / 96 master is used for vinyl, so long as it is done on absolutely top-notch pro level equipment by someone who really knows what they are doing. I've bought a fair number of vinyl records in the last couple of years that are either derived from 24 / 96 masters that are themselves made from the original analogue tapes or from 24 / 176.4 (or 24 / 192) masters. They all sound great to me. I only have a real problem if the digital source is 16 bit and / or less than 88.2 KHz (and / or made using run-of-the-mill converters). Yes, all things being equal my fully analogue recordings are the best, but I'm not going to complain too loudly if the digitally sourced ones are cheaper. But if the price is the same as another remastering by a top-notch engineer using a fully-analogue process, then yes, I will hesitate (though not in this particular case).

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
queen_tt_bundle.jpg

i have both

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm with Marty... I'll wait for the hi-rez files. So Bob used Cedar Retouch?? ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm with Marty... I'll wait for the hi-rez files. So Bob used Cedar Retouch?? ;)
What is your impression of them Bruce? Seems to me it is easier to identify the offending degradation in frequency domain/spectrum than not. Of course there is potential for huge damage in the wrong hands as with any restoration software (and for over correction).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What is your impression of them Bruce? Seems to me it is easier to identify the offending degradation in frequency domain/spectrum than not. Of course there is potential for huge damage in the wrong hands as with any restoration software (and for over correction).

I heard 2 of the albums and it was a waste of $$. Flat and 2-dimensional... just like the vinyl it was embedded in. Someone/thing in the chain was too heavy handed.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I hear you. We have the same thing in video were heavy-handed noise reduction completely gets rid of the "film look," making it too clean and too soft. Lay person thinks it is better but for a videophile, it is death.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I like the previously available SACDs. They sound great, even through a good amount of tape hiss.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
From the article; different crowd with different set of criteria (UK vs US) when it comes to the music essence's capture...message in a bottle...way of speech.

Queen /// I love Queen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing