what do we think of Westlake Audio speakers? (specifically the SM1)

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Hi Guys
i don't ever hear much talk about Westlake Audio.
is that because they aren't any good?

i have never heard any of their offerings, but a dealer i have a good relationship with has a pair in and says they are worth making the effort to hear.
since that effort will likely involve me getting on a plane i thought i would ask if any of you have any experience with them, especially the SM1 loudspeaker?
all opinions welcome! :)
many thanks
gav

http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speakers/Hi_Fi_Series/tower_sm-1.html

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
WHOA!

If you are traveling by plane DO NOT audition any equipment on the day you fly, and no, ear protection on the plane won't help with this.

You need at least overnight for your ears to calm down after a flight.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
good advice Gary.

i find a long car journey has a similar effect

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have only heard them at a show. They were playing at very high SPLs which I know you like :). Other than that, I was not a fan of the sound in the demo. They do have a pretty good reputation in professional, high-end audio mixing world (movie soundtracks and such). So don't put too much weight on my ad-hoc impression :).

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
thanks for that :)
are you especially familiar with my current speakers Amir, the Focal stella utopia?
if so, how would you contrast the sound with the big Westlakes?

btw it's the tower sm-1 my dealer has

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I say you have the most stark version of the difference in the sound of pro loudspeakers versus audiophiles :). Don't look for euphonic presentation in the Westlake. They had a flat which to me in that demo, sounded boring. Whether that was more correct/neutral, I don't know. But I think you will find them very different sounding than the Focal and perhaps not in a good way.

Again, take this with a grain of salt. It was a 15 minute demo and all I could think about was them trying to show how it can play very loud without distortion which they accomplished. I think they misunderstood their audience there (this was CES show).

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
cheers squire, that's very helpful.
i think if i were truly in the market for a speaker at this price point it would be the Nola Concert Grand Reference Gold. i only considered the Westlakes because my dealer suggested them, obviously because he has them in stock. they would need to be pretty spectacular at the price

but if anyone else has any experience with them, i'm all ears :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi Guys

i have never heard any of their offerings, but a dealer i have a good relationship with has a pair in and says they are worth making the effort to hear.
since that effort will likely involve me getting on a plane i thought i would ask if any of you have any experience with them, especially the SM1 loudspeaker?
many thanks
gav

Don't know the SM-1 but I had a couple of their 80's speakers and they were awesome, better than competing JBL and TAD models. Take the flight, hearing the SM-1 is a rare opportunity whatever the outcome.

david

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..we're talking $200K + correct? Oh my..

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
did i mention they are second hand?

150,000 yo-yos :)

or £107,000, before discount, part ex, etc

either way it would require a few years' saving

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Don't know the SM-1 but I had a couple of their 80's speakers and they were awesome, better than competing JBL and TAD models. Take the flight, hearing the SM-1 is a rare opportunity whatever the outcome.

david

very interesting David. will give it serious consideration, thank you

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Hi Guys

many thanks
gav

Hi!

I know it's an very old thread... But since I'm thinking about Westlake Speakers again: How did it turn out back then? Did you listen to Westlakes? With what result?

Thanks
Verdier

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
No, I never did Verdier.
My apologies.

Which model interests you?

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
You don't need to apologise. ;) I just assumed that you had heard it by now and was curious about your impressions, that's all.

I'm interested in the larger monitors (BBSM-15, TM-3, HR-1). But I can't say anything about them - I'm interested in impressions of guys who have listened to such Westlakes.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I think ddk is your man to ask?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing