Streaming Vinyl

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
How is it? Any functional issues (dropouts, etc.)?

-Jim
No problems or drop outs. I can't say it sounds much different from 24/96khz though. Who knows? Maybe the higher sample rates are helpful depending on the record or ADC. I dunno.

jdubs

Apr 3, 2012
No problems or drop outs. I can't say it sounds much different from 24/96khz though. Who knows? Maybe the higher sample rates are helpful depending on the record or ADC. I dunno.

Nice! As soon as I get my arm back from re-wiring, I'm going to give it a go.

-Jim

jdubs

Apr 3, 2012
Michael, figured I would check in again and see how its going. Still working well?

Btw, I just put together a couple of RCA to TS cables for going from my turntable to my Steinberg UR824. I add 1x (per cable) 49.3kohm resistor on the TS side to get a combined resistance of ~47K - suitable for my MM cartridge.

-Jim

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The only new thing I leaned was that I need to be careful not to over load the ADC's input stage. That happens with a few rock discs when the mic pre is set to 60db. I just knock it down to 55db to keep it from clipping. The clipping sound is different than anything I've heard before so it's easy to identify.
Michael, figured I would check in again and see how its going. Still working well?

Btw, I just put together a couple of RCA to TS cables for going from my turntable to my Steinberg UR824. I add 1x (per cable) 49.3kohm resistor on the TS side to get a combined resistance of ~47K - suitable for my MM cartridge.

-Jim

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Michael,

Well done for getting this all up and running - I had always planned to do this but never got around to it.

The last thing I was going to do was upsample it all to quad dsd into my dac. This should be possible I think although jriver upsampling is not the best. Would be interesting though.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Hi Michael,

Well done for getting this all up and running - I had always planned to do this but never got around to it.

The last thing I was going to do was upsample it all to quad dsd into my dac. This should be possible I think although jriver upsampling is not the best. Would be interesting though.

Yes. I know Jriver can handle dsd256. But you would have to rip the vinyl and save the file to play it at that rate. I'm not saving any data. I am simply converting and playing on the fly.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes. I know Jriver can handle dsd256. But you would have to rip the vinyl and save the file to play it at that rate. I'm not saving any data. I am simply converting and playing on the fly.

Why can't you upsample on the fly like you would with any normal PCM?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The only thing that occurred to me is that you might not be able to use the jriver convolver and then upsample to dsd on the fly - not sure.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The only thing that occurred to me is that you might not be able to use the jriver convolver and then upsample to dsd on the fly - not sure.

I think Jriver 21 can do that. I wouldn't be intereted in doing that though. My Hilo captures the vinyl at 24/192khz. Any DSP MUST be done in multi-bit anyway. So I don't see any advantage to convert to another format when I could just do all DSP and output all in the native format.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I think Jriver 21 can do that. I wouldn't be intereted in doing that though. My Hilo captures the vinyl at 24/192khz. Any DSP MUST be done in multi-bit anyway. So I don't see any advantage to convert to another format when I could just do all DSP and output all in the native format.

I would agree but many people have obtained great results from upsampling PCM to dsd although specifically using hqplayer rather than jriver - mainly the Lampi crowd.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Was thinking about another advantage to your approach here - you could potentially apply a declicker/hiss algorithm on the fly through the convolution engine akin to the fm acoustics phono stage. Might be interesting.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Was thinking about another advantage to your approach here - you could potentially apply a declicker/hiss algorithm on the fly through the convolution engine akin to the fm acoustics phono stage. Might be interesting.

I'm not aware of any declicking plugin for jriver. Is there one?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I'm not aware of any declicking plugin for jriver. Is there one?

I don't know of one - have been looking on the Internet for solutions for last 30mins. I wonder whether this could be done in the Acourate correction? I would need to email Uli to ask whether this can be done.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I don't know of one - have been looking on the Internet for solutions for last 30mins. I wonder whether this could be done in the Acourate correction? I would need to email Uli to ask whether this can be done.

Could be the ultimate solution for super quiet playback!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Was thinking that you could have a rumble filter easily by rolling off the bass frequency in the Acourate target curve sharply below a given frequency too - I thought of this when reading the other thread about vinyl and Apogees.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Okay. I found a plugin that lets you use Direct X compatible software so perhaps Izotope would work?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing