OMG - Sonus faber makes headphones !

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow, that is pretty high praise. Would be nice to have a pretty headphone that sounds delightful! I know I look like a dork with my Stax headphones. :D

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Good to know. How much were they?

The Carbon Fiber Marsala is $550 USD, and the others are $500. Head-fi had some of the first comments by real headphone users, describing them as "for women". If you're ever seen real women's headphones like the Frends Taylor or Layla, or the Molami Plica, it's pretty obvious these were not designed for women, in spite of the "fashion" promos by Sonus Faber. The Carbon Marsala was (to me) the least "pretty", and in person it looks as good as anything else I've used - B&W P5, B&O H6, etc. (better than those actually). It's a much smoother sound than the B&W's or B&O's, but I believe that fans of classic 'neutral' sound via Sennheiser or Beyer etc. will have to accomodate the low-mid recessed treble, or boost it. Even if that's done, the result is surprising, because of the smoothness. I almost think that there's some behind-the-scenes collaboration between the AQ Nighthawk guys and the guys that developed this Pryma. Just an amazing coincidence the similarity of fashionable design, the mids-treble sound, the price, and the timing. It's spooky.

Last edited:

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Thanks. Where does it say it is manufactured?

Stamped into the interior of the box where the earcups go is "Fatto A Mano DA" on the first line, "Sonus Faber" under that, and on the third line, "Italia". That's also stamped into the leather inside the headband, on three lines, the same as the box.

From that and what I've read elsewhere, it's "Hand made in Italy".

Of course I don't know where all the parts come from, but it appears that they do make it in Italy somehow. Which, given the packaging, physical quality, and sound, is surprising. The AQ Nighthawk AFAIK is pure Chinese made, and the Pryma offers as much or more for less money.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Hi Dale you removed the video?

Sorry - it's been replaced. I have an explanation on the site, how google was hiding 90 percent of the comments I was supposed to moderate. Anyway, since I couldn't change the specs after the fact, I had to delete and restore everything, but there are many left to repost.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just got my wife the "Heavy Gold" model. The packaging, styling, aesthetics, build quality and "feel" of this product are pretty amazing.

I know nothing about headphones, but these sound great!

image2.JPG

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
I just got my wife the "Heavy Gold" model. The packaging, styling, aesthetics, build quality and "feel" of this product are pretty amazing. I know nothing about headphones, but these sound great!
View attachment 26415

That headphone looks beautiful, and it's easy to just hang around your neck when you're on a casual walk or meetup, without the need to carry a separate case.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing