Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SmartTractor

SmartTractor

This is the most accurate, by far, protractor I have used

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/smartractor.htm

It is distributed by Vanna Ltd. the importer of Audio Physic.
    Last edited by jam; 08-29-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Jam Somasundram
    Designer
    Pass Labs

I'll second that. I'll soon be using it when I move my stereo cart to the 12" 3D armtube for my VPI. Mono cart now finds a home on the 12.6 armtube. Looking forward to having 2 armtubes... finally.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    This is the most accurate, by far protractor I have used

It is distributed by Vanna Ltd. the importer of Vienna Acoustics.

Hi John,

It is a little expensive but well worth it......gave away all my other jigs. It also accomadates tall arms like the Kuzma

Jam

http://www.arche-headshell.de/smartr...hnologie-gmbh/
    Last edited by jam; 08-06-2015 at 10:46 AM.
    Jam Somasundram
    Designer
    Pass Labs

Hi Jam,

Yes, agreed on the cost. My only dilemma is to figure out which scale will be best to use. I've been using VPI's gauge, mostly, which is Harry's own concoction.

John

Hi John,

It is a little expensive but well worth it......gave away all my other jigs. It also accomadates tall arms like the Kuzma

Jam

http://www.arche-headshell.de/smartr...hnologie-gmbh/
    John Tverdik
    Operations Manager
    Stillpoints

Hi again Jam,

I also meant to ask if there are recommendations or suggestions on which scale to use.

John

Quote Originally Posted by allvinyl View Post
    Hi Jam,

Yes, agreed on the cost. My only dilemma is to figure out which scale will be best to use. I've been using VPI's gauge, mostly, which is Harry's own concoction.

John
    John Tverdik
    Operations Manager
    Stillpoints

This is the most accurate, by far protractor I have used

It is distributed by Vanna Ltd. the importer of Vienna Acoustics.
    Jam, have you tried this with an SME arm? It is a little more difficult to determine exactly where the pivot of an SME arm is.

I like the magnifying glass and the quality and precision look very impressive. I have considered buying one but I am getting great results with my MINT Best Protractor custom made for my SME V-12 and Air Tight cartridge.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

John,

I am partial to the Lofgren B IEC alignment When I have more time I will try the UNI-DIN alignment, though I find the differences are smaller with longer arms.
    I also have had good results with Baerwald (Lofgren A) alignment.

Peter,

I am still waiting for an SME 3012R as David has recommended, hopefully in a couple of weeks. My arm board is on the way.
    I have used the Mint, In fact I have several and is a very accurate protractor but the use of the mint requires that you have the pivot to spindle distance exact or errors result, besides you need a different Mint
    protractor for each alignment. With the Smart-Tractor this is not much as important issue and as a bonus it has a pivot to spindle measurement built in.
    I highly recommend it. I gave away all my other protractors and I had a few.

Jam
    Last edited by jam; 08-06-2015 at 03:56 PM.
    Jam Somasundram
    Designer
    Pass Labs

Jam, do you work for Pass Labs? If so, congratulations, it is an excellent company with great service and products.

I understand that Pass likes their Technics SP10 Mk2 with a variety of arms and cartridges and plinths. And I would love to hear the custom Pass power supply one day. Now that would be an interesting product to develop for the market.

Please report back about the SME 3012R.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Peter

I have been with Pass for two years, best job I have had ever.

We at Pass use Technics SP-10 Mk2's with custom plinths, platter and power supply. I also use a Micro Seiki RX-1500 with a custom stainless steel platter and a Feickert Woodpecker.

I will report as soon as I have a SME mounted on the Micro.

Jam
    Jam Somasundram
    Designer
    Pass Labs

Hi Jam,

Thanks for the insights on the alignments. I will probably first try the UNI-DIN to find out what it's like. I've not aligned my 12.6 arm with the UNI-DIN or Lofgren A yet.

John

John,

I am partial to the Lofgren B IEC alignment When I have more time I will try the UNI-DIN alignment, though I find the differences are smaller with longer arms.
    I also have had good results with Baerwald (Lofgren A) alignment.

Jam
    John Tverdik
    Operations Manager
    Stillpoints

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast