DCS Puccini/Scarlatti Master Clock upgrade

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
When I got started in audio I would never have believed that a clock or a fuse could make that much difference - but I've learned that the improbable can often be true...

What's your take on Audio Horizon fuses? I'd be nervous opening the thing up & replacing stuff - I assume only the mains fuse is accessible from the back. But presumably that would make some difference.

Hi Jeff.
I have Entreq power cables with Furutech connections so you can open them up carefully and replace the stock fuse with your replacement. For the internal fuses you disconnect the Puccini from the mains and open the small panel at back and replace accordingly. A little bit fiddly but quite straightforward. Same process with your amplifier.Just make sure you get the right value replacement fuses which should be detailed in the manuals.
I don't have any experience of Audio Horizon fuses so can't help you on that. Synergistic Research Red and Black fuses have attracted a lot of favourable comment from the WBF community.

jeffg2020

Dec 4, 2016
Hi Jeff.
I have Entreq power cables with Furutech connections so you can open them up carefully and replace the stock fuse with your replacement. For the internal fuses you disconnect the Puccini from the mains and open the small panel at back and replace accordingly. A little bit fiddly but quite straightforward. Same process with your amplifier.Just make sure you get the right value replacement fuses which should be detailed in the manuals.
I don't have any experience of Audio Horizon fuses so can't help you on that. Synergistic Research Red and Black fuses have attracted a lot of favourable comment from the WBF community.

Thanks all. It sounds as though IF I want to both 1) keep Puccini transport and 2) play SACDs my options are limited - perhaps the only choice is to upgrade the clock. Now if I rip the SACDs to digital files the possibilities open up. Given the status quo, I could upgrade to either Scarlatti clock or, if I'm flush, Vivaldi clock. I wonder how much improvement these choices would give me...

One upgrade I've already done is the BNC cable isn't stock; I'm using XV-Ultra (StereoLab), which I think is pretty good.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
XV-Ultra is an excellent digital cable. I would spend your money elsewhere.

Personally, I would rip all my SACDs, and get the Rossini DAC instead. The Rossini has the latest Etherenet input option, which allows it to stream music (ripped CDs, SACD, Hi-Res and Tidal) directly from a NAS drive. Get sth like the latest QNAP NAS with i5 CPU and SSD, and you can install Roon on it too.

I believe it would top Scarlatti CDT/DAC combo not only in terms of features and ease of use, but also in sonics.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks all. It sounds as though IF I want to both 1) keep Puccini transport and 2) play SACDs my options are limited - perhaps the only choice is to upgrade the clock. Now if I rip the SACDs to digital files the possibilities open up. Given the status quo, I could upgrade to either Scarlatti clock or, if I'm flush, Vivaldi clock. I wonder how much improvement these choices would give me...

One upgrade I've already done is the BNC cable isn't stock; I'm using XV-Ultra (StereoLab), which I think is pretty good.

Upgrading the Puccini clock to the Scarlatti clock significantly improved my Puccini player.
Used Scarlatti clocks come up for sale quite frequently and do not cost mega bucks. If you stay with DCS in one form or another the Scarlatti clock won't need replacing and will benefit whichever Puccini player replacement you opt for.
Good luck!

jeffg2020

Dec 4, 2016
Upgrading the Puccini clock to the Scarlatti clock significantly improved my Puccini player.
Used Scarlatti clocks come up for sale quite frequently and do not cost mega bucks. If you stay with DCS in one form or another the Scarlatti clock won't need replacing and will benefit whichever Puccini player replacement you opt for.
Good luck!

Sounds good. But by that logic, one might buy a Vivaldi clock. "Only" 10K retail, so if a used one comes up, it should be in the 7-8K range.

It's interesting to think the Rossini DAC is that much better than the Puccini, since the Rossini is now the "entry-level" dCS piece, as the Puccini was.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Sounds good. But by that logic, one might buy a Vivaldi clock. "Only" 10K retail, so if a used one comes up, it should be in the 7-8K range.

It's interesting to think the Rossini DAC is that much better than the Puccini, since the Rossini is now the "entry-level" dCS piece, as the Puccini was.
H Jeff
It's all a question of priorities and resources and how to get the biggest bang for your bucks.
My understanding is that the Rossini and the Vivaldi clocks are not a huge improvement on the Scarlatti clock so it is worth considering buying a Scarlatti clock and using the saving to upgrade another part of the system which may give you a bigger overall improvement at that stage of your journey.
The Rossini DAC is I think generally acknowledged to be be an improvement on the Scarlatti DAC but you would then still need an SACD capable transport if you wanted to continue to be able to play your SACDs,
What I have tried to do in upgrading my system over the years is to try and keep a balance between the different component parts - amplifier, speakers, sources, cables etc. One SOTA part and and mid range for the rest of the system won't bring out the best of the SOTA item and the overall sound may not be as good as what you could achieve through a more balanced upgrade programme.
Most of us have constraints on what we can afford so it's a case of spending what we have available in the most cost effective way.

jeffg2020

Dec 4, 2016
H Jeff
It's all a question of priorities and resources and how to get the biggest bang for your bucks.
My understanding is that the Rossini and the Vivaldi clocks are not a huge improvement on the Scarlatti clock so it is worth considering buying a Scarlatti clock and using the saving to upgrade another part of the system which may give you a bigger overall improvement at that stage of your journey.
The Rossini DAC is I think generally acknowledged to be be an improvement on the Scarlatti DAC but you would then still need an SACD capable transport if you wanted to continue to be able to play your SACDs,
What I have tried to do in upgrading my system over the years is to try and keep a balance between the different component parts - amplifier, speakers, sources, cables etc. One SOTA part and and mid range for the rest of the system won't bring out the best of the SOTA item and the overall sound may not be as good as what you could achieve through a more balanced upgrade programme.
Most of us have constraints on what we can afford so it's a case of spending what we have available in the most cost effective way.

That all makes sense. I'm certainly aware of budgetary constraints or I'd just buy a Vivaldi! Scarlatti clock might be my best option while keeping Puccini DAC/trans. Plus upgrading fuses.

As to Rossini, DAC, I'm confused about how to pipe in SACD. I thought given the SACD license, you can't get a raw bitstream from an SACD disk - you have to play it on the internal DAC of whatever DAC/transport combo you were using.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That all makes sense. I'm certainly aware of budgetary constraints or I'd just buy a Vivaldi! Scarlatti clock might be my best option while keeping Puccini DAC/trans. Plus upgrading fuses.

As to Rossini, DAC, I'm confused about how to pipe in SACD. I thought given the SACD license, you can't get a raw bitstream from an SACD disk - you have to play it on the internal DAC of whatever DAC/transport combo you were using.

You can only play ripped SACDs as DSD files from a computer (or a NAS drive).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
To clarify: If I had $20k to spend on dCS gear right now (new or used - doesn't matter), I would rather get

Rossini DAC (not CDP !) + QNap NAS with Roon + iPad setup

than

Puccini CDP + dCS clock + Scarlatti DAC.

No physical media, but:

1. A joy tu use (once you figure out how to rip CDs and SACDs)
2. Perfect Tidal integration
3. Allows you to discover new music thanks to Roon
4. Less boxes, less cables
5. Can play both PCM (CD), hi-res and DSD (SACD) files.
6. Better sound

cloudior

Oct 19, 2013
Still it may be worth to add some $$$ and go with the Vivaldi DAC + dCS newest Network Bridge (connected through Dual AES EBU). It will have all functionality of Rossini DAC and even better performance. This may be the best value combo in current dCS line.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Forgot about the new dCS Network Bridge.

Indeed, it may be an interesting although much more expensive option. The Network Bridge will work with the Scarlatti too, so you can go with sth like this:

Network Bridge + Scarlatti DAC + QNap NAS with Roon + iPad setup

or

Network Bridge + Paganini DAC + QNap NAS with Roon + iPad setup
Network Bridge + Vivaldi DAC + QNap NAS with Roon + iPad setup

So far nobody have hear the Network Bridge, so the performance potential is unknown.

Rossini DAC has the network bridge built in.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Elberoth.
Thanks for all your helpful posts on this thread which have helped me.
In my system,full details in my profile,my Puccini runs on the 6v output which I have found gives me a better sound. Did you try this with yours and have you tried it with your current Scarlatti set up?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I sold my Scarlatti 2 or 3 years ago. I was using 2V output as that let me use less digital attenuation (I was running it direct to amps). When using a preamp, 6V output may sound indeed better.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) In my system,full details in my profile,my Puccini runs on the 6v output which I have found gives me a better sound.(...)

Although in some cases the 6V can sound better even in preamplifiers or integrated amplifiers, some others will produce significant distortion at such high level -e.g. some attenuators using electronic switches cannot accept more than 5V peak at the input. Considering you Vitus has switchable sensitivity you should try witch combination gives the best results, but my bet would be the 6V DAC / 8V amp.

jeffg2020

Dec 4, 2016
Thanks all. It's useful to get input from people who know the dCS line far better than I do.

So if I'm understanding correctly, ***IF*** I want to spin shiny SACDs, really my only upgrade path is keep the Puccini, upgrade to Scarlatti clock. If I rip my SACDs, I can bump up to Rossini DAC which > Scarlatti DAC, and use some transport for Redbook CD. (And if win lottery, buy Vivaldi stack.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing