New Canon Camera with Ultra-low-light Sensitivity

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not sure how much of this is real but if it is, it will enable all new types of imagery/videos.

http://www.businessinsider.com/canons-new-camera-can-see-in-extreme-dark-2015-7#ixzz3hrW8Au1w

"Canon's new $30,000 camera could let photographers shoot in extreme darkness like never before

Canon unveiled a new camera this morning that could completely change how we take photos and videos in the dark.

The camera, called the ME20F-SH, can see things in the dark that the human eye can't, and captures it all with HD photo and video.

The camera could potentially be used to pioneer new formats for everything from surveillance video, movies, reality TV, and nature documentaries.

Canon says the camera will go on sale in December 2015, but it won't be cheap. The ME20F-SH is expected to retail for $30,000. It will go for sale in Decemeber 2015.

What makes this camera so unique?

The new ME20F-SH model is able to shoot at up to 4,000,000 ISO.

ISO is a photography term that basically refers to how your camera handles light around you. The higher ISO you take a picture at, the more you can capture in a low-light situation.

To put the 4-million range into perspective, consider that the cameras on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus only go as high as 2,500 ISO. Most entry-level DSLR cameras only go up to 3,200. Higher level cameras usually go anywhere from 10,000 to 100,000 ISO, and there's a Nikon with 200,000 ISO capabilities. But Canon's new device is next-level."

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
More detail. The larger pixels should definitely improve signal to noise ratio:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/54...purpose-me20f-sh-camera-reaches-iso-4-million

"Canon has introduced its ME20F-SH multi-purpose camera - a black cube with an EF mount and the ability to capture Full HD color video in near-darkness.

At the core of the ME20F-SH is a 2.26 megapixel CMOS sensor, originally announced in 2013, which has pixels measuring 19?m - 5.5X larger than what's found on high-end DSLRs. This allows for 1080/60p/30p/24p (and PAL equivalent) video capture in light levels as low as 0.0005 lux at a maximum gain setting of 75 Db, which is equivalent to over ISO 4,000,000. As with the company's professional cinema cameras, Canon Log and Wide DR modes are available for capturing a wide dynamic range.

The ME20F-SH supports EF and EF-S lenses with a locking mechanism and autofocus support. There are built-in neutral density and IR cut filters, both of which can be disabled if desired.

As one would expect, the ME20F-SH has virtually every port imaginable. There are output-only 3G/HD-SDI and HDMI ports and both a 2.5mm mini-jack and an 8-pin RS-422 port for using Canon's remote controls. There's also a 3.5mm jack for a stereo mic as well as GENLOCK port for synchronizing multiple video sources. A microSD slot is used solely for firmware updates.

The camera can be controlled on an external monitor using a rear-mounted joystick and the five buttons that surround it.

The ME20F-SH could prove to be a useful tool for filmmakers, either as a specialty camera or as a regular production tool for certain applications. Filmmakers needing to shoot the occasional scene in near-total darkness while maintaining accurate color will benefit from the insanely high ISO. And, the camera could be useful in production environments such as reality TV or for documentary filmmaking in low light.

You can pick up the ME20F-SH this December for $30,000."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing