Best Projector Under $3000

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You misread me somewhere. I never said my screen is a 120.

In post #3 of this thread, you wrote...

Our screen is an 80" diagonal.

8 posts later, in post #11 of this thread, you wrote....

My screen is a 10' diagonal.

10' = 120". Now, you're claiming you never wrote that your screen is 120" as if that is somehow different from 10'. This is weird.

The event was an opening for a local Audio FX store.

Audio FX is a rep for Stewart Filmscreen.

http://www.audiofx.com/

There are lots of folks that treat the wall for projection.

Yes, but most of those people are DIY'ers on a tight budget. I've never seen a high end dealer resort to a treated wall in a theater demo room and it seems even less likely when the dealer is a rep for Stewart. Your story isn't making a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Jeez, rsbeck, I had to go through my posts to see what you were seeing.

You might have noticed that I quoted your posts in my replies. I am at a loss to understand how you looked at your own quote and claimed you'd never written it.

Some of your other answers seem a little weird, too.

Are there any other mistakes that you want to edit?

For example, you sure you have the right store?

You story is a curious one.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Popcorn and soft drinks are probably priced a little better at your place.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Free, to be exact. :)
Sometime in mid-November, we're going to have another one of our Japanese anime fan club meetings.. we'll be screening a Blu-ray version of Summer Wars, the latest work from Madhouse production studios in Japan, among other things. It's one of the funner things we do around here.. folks within driving distance are always welcome.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I would hope that the free popcorn would be the LAST reason for driving!

Sorry, I thought the idea of you offering this great demo and me saying it is too far to go just for free popcorn was kind of funny.

I'm so tech illiterate, I've never learned to use the smileys properly.

If I were a little closer, I would love to be there for the demo.

And, of course, the free popcorn.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Why is it that all the audiophiles live on the west coast and I'm stuck back east? We don't have so much as an audio club here. Pathetic part of the country.. at least there's no earthquakes or volcanoes here..

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Why is it that all the audiophiles live on the west coast and I'm stuck back east? We don't have so much as an audio club here. Pathetic part of the country.. at least there's no earthquakes or volcanoes here..

Hi Mark,

There are some of us on the east coast, and we don't have earthquakes or volcanoes in eastern PA either. ;) :D :cool:

Rich

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Hmmmmm.....this thread had great potential but took a poop....

Any opinions on sub 3k projectors, anyone? Panny 4000 seemed to be the hot ticket last year, especially for zooming to 2.35 .......

Then JVC stepped up to the plate with the RS250, but I don't recall the price on that one. 3000 can buy alot of projector these days, but what's best?

Tom

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
3000 can buy alot of projector these days, but what's best?

Tom

Just like speakers and electronics, everyone has a preference, so there probably is not a "what's best". For example, JVC announced a number of new projectors at CEDIA, the least expensive going for about $3500 (which I am quite sure can be purchased for your $3k price). Much better than my $8000 five year old JVC RS2. In fact, I have purchased the new JVC RS55 which is the model just above it.

And by the way, my 5 year old JVC has performed flawlessly since I have owned it. I'm only upgrading because I have "The Shiny Metal Syndrome" which is a disease most on this forum have only they have not given it a name. :p I think there may even be a 12 Step Program for it !

I would suggest that even if you don't like the JVC technology, you can get a really nice projector for about $3,000.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Instead of 'whats best' perhaps I should have asked what is mainstream in sub-3k projectors these days. A bit over a year ago it seemed like the Panny and JVC HD-250 were quite popular, especially with the dedicated builders over at AVS forum, and owners of either were basically pleased with their purchases. Granted, most of those guys are building big....big rooms with screens to match so I suspect they tend to wring all of the performance out of whatever projector they buy.

At that time our own HT build was moving along and we were projector shopping, but the project slowed up a bit and we never made the jump. Although I was at one point leaning towards the JVC, neither it nor the Panasonic seem to get much attention, and now that we are building again, the projector market seems to have changed quite a bit.

Still thinking JVC....sat in on a demo of the HD250Pro zoomed out to a 130" 2.35 screen and loved the picture. And at around 3k with a decent mount, it costs less than a tenth of what my Barco 808s did not too long ago (!)

Tom

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just like speakers and electronics, everyone has a preference, so there probably is not a "what's best".

I don't know about this.... unlike audio, video has set standards. They are written in stone and you know if something works and is true to the source or not.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Except that each kind of projector, e.g., DLP vs. LCOS, has it's strengths and weaknesses.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing