Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Projector Under $3000

WBF Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark (Basspig) Weiss View Post
    I would hope that the free popcorn would be the LAST reason for driving!
    Sorry, I thought the idea of you offering this great demo and me saying it is too far to go just for free popcorn was kind of funny.

I'm so tech illiterate, I've never learned to use the smileys properly.

If I were a little closer, I would love to be there for the demo.

And, of course, the free popcorn.

Addicted to Best! Mark (Basspig) Weiss's Avatar
    Why is it that all the audiophiles live on the west coast and I'm stuck back east? We don't have so much as an audio club here. Pathetic part of the country.. at least there's no earthquakes or volcanoes here..
    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
    The Best in Video & Sound My Company FaceBook Page
    My Blogwww.ampexperts.com
    www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 Watts of Driving Surround Sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark (Basspig) Weiss View Post
    Why is it that all the audiophiles live on the west coast and I'm stuck back east? We don't have so much as an audio club here. Pathetic part of the country.. at least there's no earthquakes or volcanoes here..
    Hi Mark,

There are some of us on the east coast, and we don't have earthquakes or volcanoes in eastern PA either.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Hmmmmm.....this thread had great potential but took a poop....

Any opinions on sub 3k projectors, anyone? Panny 4000 seemed to be the hot ticket last year, especially for zooming to 2.35 .......

Then JVC stepped up to the plate with the RS250, but I don't recall the price on that one. 3000 can buy alot of projector these days, but what's best?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    3000 can buy alot of projector these days, but what's best?

Tom
    Just like speakers and electronics, everyone has a preference, so there probably is not a "what's best". For example, JVC announced a number of new projectors at CEDIA, the least expensive going for about $3500 (which I am quite sure can be purchased for your $3k price). Much better than my $8000 five year old JVC RS2. In fact, I have purchased the new JVC RS55 which is the model just above it.

And by the way, my 5 year old JVC has performed flawlessly since I have owned it. I'm only upgrading because I have "The Shiny Metal Syndrome" which is a disease most on this forum have only they have not given it a name. I think there may even be a 12 Step Program for it !

I would suggest that even if you don't like the JVC technology, you can get a really nice projector for about $3,000.

Instead of 'whats best' perhaps I should have asked what is mainstream in sub-3k projectors these days. A bit over a year ago it seemed like the Panny and JVC HD-250 were quite popular, especially with the dedicated builders over at AVS forum, and owners of either were basically pleased with their purchases. Granted, most of those guys are building big....big rooms with screens to match so I suspect they tend to wring all of the performance out of whatever projector they buy.

At that time our own HT build was moving along and we were projector shopping, but the project slowed up a bit and we never made the jump. Although I was at one point leaning towards the JVC, neither it nor the Panasonic seem to get much attention, and now that we are building again, the projector market seems to have changed quite a bit.

Still thinking JVC....sat in on a demo of the HD250Pro zoomed out to a 130" 2.35 screen and loved the picture. And at around 3k with a decent mount, it costs less than a tenth of what my Barco 808s did not too long ago (!)

Tom

The Mitsubishi HC4000 -- a DLP unit at about $1,100 -- seems to be quite popular and well regarded.

WBF Technical Expert (Pro Audio Production) Bruce B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
    Just like speakers and electronics, everyone has a preference, so there probably is not a "what's best".
    I don't know about this.... unlike audio, video has set standards. They are written in stone and you know if something works and is true to the source or not.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Except that each kind of projector, e.g., DLP vs. LCOS, has it's strengths and weaknesses.
    Peace.

Ron Party

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    I don't know about this.... unlike audio, video has set standards. They are written in stone and you know if something works and is true to the source or not.
    Except that some folks "prefer" a warmer or "cooler" or "more film-like" or "crisper" or ...... image, "standards" be darned!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234