I need help - Microsoft related

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Few days ago I clicked on my Skype app from Microsoft in the goal to have contact with some family members.
It said that I cannot access Skype, that I need to upgrade to a new version.
I downloaded the new version.
But I did not know which password they want so I apply for a new password...the one that I need to get in my laptop...to open it.
Ok, it was an ordeal. Now I got a new Skype...it took a long time. And now I need to enter that new password to enter my laptop after the lid is closed.

But here's the deal: In the morning when my laptop's lid is closed, it is still running! ...The lights are on...and the laptop is hot underneath.
Before it wasn't like that...it was totally @ sleep...no lights on...and after opening the lid it took anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds before the screen light up and that I can enter my password to have full access.

What's happening? ...I did not change my settings.
Also, there was a new contact in my Skype app, and I accept it.
Also, I received two phone calls about three days ago about issues with my PC, and that guy wanted to help me by entering a code!!!
I asked him what's my first name but he gave me a wrong one! So I said forget it.

Is there someone accessing my PC now? Should I change my Microsoft password? ...Can I pick my older one?
I am @ lost...I don't want my laptop to run when the lid is close...and all my settings are set to "Sleep" when I close the lid.

And why Skype didn't automatically update itself?
I don't feel good, my laptop don't feel good, and I would love thinks operating normal...like it was before...about four days ago.
I know nothing, I need help...anyone?

If I change my Microsoft password again, can I screw up? ...Good idea to use my older one...when I have no problem, or should I create a new one all together?

I checked the things that I know, and there is no warning in my PC...no virus. It just doesn't sleep anymore early in the morning when the lid is close.
But @ night when I close the lid the lights aren't there, so it is sleeping...then it woke up by itself without me doing anything!
This is totally new; it only happened those last two mornings.

And my friend told me that I did good to not follow through with that guy who wanted to fix my PC because he got trapped himself before by the same type of scam and it costed him $90. He said those guys they're just there to suck money out of you. And how the heck did they get my phone number from?

You know, sometimes it is smooth sailing with our PCs, and @ other times it is very annoying and totally disruptive...just like in real life...you have some excellent good people...honest and reliable...and you have the other type...bad, dishonest, ready to violate your life by getting inside it to suck you dry.

I don't know if you guys can relate or not...but it for sure is part of my reality.
This is no fun to live in this beautiful country with crooks, bad people living right next door to you...way of speech but still very true.

Anyway, how can I get my laptop to sleep for all the time that the lid is closed...like it did four days ago and all the years before that?
And should I get rid of that new contact in Skype, and would it help?

I phoned a computer place this morning, but closed for the long weekend.
And I googled a lot but coudn't find anything to help me out.
So now, WBF is the most solid place to get help from the PC experts. And instead of polluting another PC thread I decided to start a new one.

I would certainly appreciate help, and I'm ready to answer any questions in order to help my helper(s).

Do you know how it feels when you just simply want to enjoy life and get rid of your PC for good? /// Like trowing it in the ocean's bottom, or from high up in a skyscraper or knock it good with a hammer and trash it in your garbage can.
Yeah, it happens sometimes...just the way I described it...and not only with PCs but also with some people..but we don't do it...instead we cool off by going to the beach, read a book, go for a drive, and thinking about the best plan to take our own life! :eek: :D

But seriously...like my mom said to me recently...life is full of struggles, and even when you worked very hard all your life and expect to retire in peace...there are still things that are very tough to forget.

Ok, let's not go there and stick with my own topic...laptop/PC (Microsoft) issues...and all that jazz. :b

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I'm no computer expert but I have Norton 360 and Malware Bytes Pro on my PC and both are top class.
I had a problem with my broadband, which turned out to be a software issue, but the online support people at Norton spent an hour checking my security before assuring me there was not a security problem.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks Barry for that.

Tell me though; is your laptop waking up on itself after a certain time with the lid closed and when set to "Sleep"?
What could it be then...I have never seen this before...until I updated my Skype version about three days ago.
Can hackers access your PC without your security system knowing it?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
No problems with shut down.
Since installing Windows 10 a few days ago it shuts down and starts up more quickly.
I think problems with hackers can be a real problem - witness the reports in the media with banks and governments. I am sure a lot depends on how good your security is and as I said my experiences with Norton 360 and Malwarebytes have been very good.
Not sure what security you have on yours but I am sure it would be wise to get a good check run on your security.
Hope that helps and that you can get it sorted.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Ok, since I updated my Skype account I keep receiving notifications of people who would like to get in contact with me...all very attractive young women.
How can I not receive any more notifications of that sort? It is extremely annoying...they are all looking for the same thing...access to my credit cards.
* I keep blocking them but they keep popping up in large amount!

Amir, do you know what I can do...should I try to contact the FBI or the CIA? ...Obama? ...Donald Trump?

Or should I change my email address, my skype account, my microsoft account??? This is a major disturbance now.

By the way, I only accepted the first contact because I thought she was a friend of one of my nieces, but after a short exchange, I gave her my email address too, I realized that money was the only thing in her mind...she wanted to come visiting me from France if I paid her a plane ticket...only 450 Euros...plus food for her empty fridge...only another 150 Euros.

Never in my life I had this type of harassment, until I was asked to update Skype from my Microsoft account/application.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I believe you can change your setting to only people on your list can see you, that's how mine is set up. You have something set up so everyone can see you. I never get unwanted requests.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I don't use the app either, I log in through my web browser.

The app did weird stuff to my computer, I removed it completely.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I believe you can change your setting to only people on your list can see you, that's how mine is set up. You have something set up so everyone can see you. I never get unwanted requests.

I don't use the app either, I log in through my web browser.

The app did weird stuff to my computer, I removed it completely.

I already checked all my settings...all ok. But each time one of them girls wants to contact me I have to click on Decline. ...This is time consuming...I don't like that.

And yes, I can access my Skype app from my browser, from my taskbar, from my microsoft apps, from my screen's desktop, from my email address.

I will keep Declining till someone @ the other hand gets tired of being declined. ...But it is truly invasion of privacy, constant harassment, and waste of time.

This world we all live in, it is a beautiful world...but some people are real ugly in their criminal behavior. ...You know what I'm saying. It is truly very very sad what some people are willing to do, John.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing