Mission Impossible-Rogue Nation

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Saw this movie yesterday and I must say that it was fun to watch and somewhat engaging although slightly long. I must admit that the 4 of us set off to watch the new sequel to the "Vacation" series but after reading the MRQE rating of 45 my son and I decided to see Mission Impossible which started at the same time. My wife and her mom however did brave the Vacation film. When we caught up after both movies were out my wife said Vacation was worse than anything she had ever seen as it was just horrible. So forget that one

As for Mission Impossible at 132 minutes it was a bit long but still fun to watch.

Synopsis from MRQE.....

Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his teammates reunite for this pulse-pounding sequel, in which they attempt to take down a secret international organization known as the Syndicate--highly skilled ex-IMF agents who are intent on bringing down their former outfit. Christopher McQuarrie directs this new entry in the Mission Impossible franchise, with Jeremy Renner, Alec Baldwin, and Simon Pegg co-staring

I must say that Cruise looks as fit as can be and appeared quite buff. Some of the stunts I must say stretches the envelope of imagination such as when he is holding onto the side of a cargo plane as it is taking off---he did do the stunt but obviously it was green screen shot

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
This was a fantastic action film. My wife enjoyed it as well. What a relief from the last 2 she picked out, I Will See You In My Dreams and Mr. Holmes. Clearly, of the 2 of us, I have the better taste in films! :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Id say it was a "fun" action film not sure it attains the level of fantastic but nonetheless I enjoyed it. The fact that he does his own stunts is a real tribute to him and how fit he is. He did his own stunt outside the top of the tallest building in the world in Kuala Lumpur

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I thought it was fun, but the model is getting stale. They need a reboot.

Call it a "B" for me- Mad Max was a better action movie.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

I must say that Cruise looks as fit as can be and appeared quite buff. Some of the stunts I must say stretches the envelope of imagination such as when he is holding onto the side of a cargo plane as it is taking off---he did do the stunt but obviously it was green screen shot

They showed the actual raw footage of him hanging off the side of a real plane as it actually took off from the ground on Tv.
They may have edited in a different background, but he actually did the stunt in real time. Am am sure he was harnessed to the plane somehow. I bet his insurance company has a rep on set at all times.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Quite remarkable spy pictures:

As he says though, he has been training for 30 years for shots like this. Once you get as good as a stuntman, then you might as well do the part. It is so much more breathtaking as a viewer when you realize it is the actor himself doing that.

P.S. Check out the remote controlled camera under the wing! Some impressive apparatus that is.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
The comment about the unaccounted for stray bird did raise my eyebrows.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
He has a lot of faith in the engineering, not only for his strap and the wind protection but also the structure for the camera (from what I remember that took a lot of effort).
Anyway glad some 'old school' action is still done in some mega films without CGI, in the previous film I thought it was stunning with him on the top of the tower above the skyscraper - no way I could do that myself even with straps, more straps, and a cattle prod to make me move.
Makes you wonder how much the insurance is for these films :)

Cheers
Orb

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I thought it was fun, but the model is getting stale. They need a reboot.

Call it a "B" for me- Mad Max was a better action movie.

'Mad Max: Fury Road' is almost non-stop action and it's in 3D too. :cool:

I did read though that 'MI:5' was pretty awesome in Dolby Vision (HDR) and with Dolby Atmos sound. ...Not as awesome as 'Pixels' though ... HDR picture wise.

A for Cruise doing his own stunts...like Steve said...against a green screen, with even some straps perhaps attached to him. ...Similar to Mad Max.

Anyway it's nice to read the many positive reviews...to keep up with the previous 'Ghost Protocol' (MI:4). ...And also in Dobly Vision HDR and Atmos immersive sound.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Saw this a few days ago and I must say this is the best of the MI series thus far. It brought me to want to show my family the original TV series in the 60s. On just the pilot episode, everyone found it so dry except the opening music intro. My daughter commented that there's nothing 'impossible' in that mission, and we were already half way into the episode. Gotta hand it to Tom Cruise and company for stretching the series to mind boggling levels in stunts, plot and action. Hope there's another coming soon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing