Favorite piano concertos...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Ok classical experts, i am a particular fan of the piano. What are your favorite performances/recordings?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
There are many to enjoy, Here's a few:

Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto - none better than Gould w/ Bernstein (LP)
Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto - lots to choose from, tonight's choice is Michealangeli w/ Giulini (CD)
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 21 - Anda w/ Anda (LP)
Bartók's Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 - Anda w/ Fricsay (LP)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It's not a piano concerto per se, but I just love this piece called "Totentanz", by Franz Listz. I have 4-5 recordings, none too thrilling sound-wise. The Zimerman/Ozawa/Boston is good, as well as the Cohen/Neschling/OSESP.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Tastes in performances vary.

Many people (including me) consider the Fleisher/Szell performances of the five Beethoven and two Brahms (1st in particular) piano concerti to be outstanding. You can get them in this box set

http://smile.amazon.com/Fleisher-plays-Beethoven-Brahms-Concerto/dp/B006XOBFN8/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1438622413&sr=1-6

For the Grieg and Schumann Concerti, Fleisher/Szell is my first choice. Sound quality is much better in the Sony Great Performances (2004 remaster) CD. There is an older Great performances CD with a yellow newsprint cover that has

I'm recommending several Fleisher/Szell recordings because their collaboration in the 50s and 60s produced wonderful performances.

For Rach 2 and the Rhapsody on a theme of Pananini, I like Rubinstein/Reiner, Wang/Abbado and Solti/Solti and Boult.

The Mozart Piano Concerti from 14 through 27 are all great music. No. 9 too. I'd start with No. 20 and Rudolf Serkin/Szell in the Masterworks Expanded Edition with no. 19 would be my first choice. There are lots of fine performances for 9 and 14-27.

These recommendations are based on quality of performance. Their sound quality is adequate for me to enjoy the performances without giving a thought to sound quality.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Keith This is some intro to some superb Playing--recommended

BruceD

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Lots of classics of course, Tchaikovsky definitely deserving a mention too. For a slightly leftfield suggestion, I also really love the Scriabin Concerto as played by Demidenko with the BBC Symphony Orchestra/Lazarev:

51CjIWvvp-L._SX425_.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Going for the Tchaikovsky ^^^ in October at the Royal Festival hall

ClassicalMusic2000

Aug 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
I have many favorite piano concertos. The Piano Concerto No. 1 Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov 2, the Schumann or Chopin 1. And piano concertos of the twentieth century, I'll take the 3 of Prokofiev.

However, the concerts I check again and again are the five Beethoven piano concertos. They, more than any other artistic work, I find the evolution break and shift to the contemporary world.

The Beethoven Piano Concertos

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Grieg
Schumann
Dvorak
Haydn
Mendelssohn
Schwarenka

Dvorak Concerto.jpg Grieg Concerto A.jpg Mendelssohn Piano Concertos.jpg Schwarenka Piano Concertos.jpg Haydn Piano Concertos.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing