Had a few guys over this weekend

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Had a nice get together Friday and Saturday. I had guys drive in from Denton, Dallas, Austin, Houston and Galveston. Here is a picture of some of them hanging out in the front room. We were juggling two systems at the time.

080115e.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
This was some Albert Lee on bluray Dolby HDaudio.

080115d.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Fired up the projector and the big screen for some Animusic. This was fun.

080115k.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Guys back in the sun room discussing the finer points of audio.

080115b.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
By the way, the black speakers on the stands are not hooked to any of the gear you see. Those are Mark and Daniel Maximus Opal Air4 wireless. They have a built in D class amp, NuForce DAC and receiver. They use a new protocol called SKAA to stream the digital data. They were a big hit with the guys. We used them outside until it got to hot.

You can read more on them on their website: http://madwirelesshifi.com/

080115i.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Some of the gear in the front room: AMR CD-777, Clearaudio Champion II, Shanling CD-T1500, Music Fidelity M1DAC, Sonic Euphoria passive pre and a Lounge phono pre and the amps you can't see are Antique Sound Labs AQ 1006 845 DT MKII.

080115a.jpg

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Wish I could have made it Luther, looks like a great time. Since my available time was limited, I hung out at Mike's and we played vinyl for a few hours. At least I was there in June! Is the AMR a new piece for you, or did someone bring it? I've always liked the build quality of AMR, but have really only listened to their DAC very much. How do you like the music from the CD player?

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Wish I could have made it Luther, looks like a great time. Since my available time was limited, I hung out at Mike's and we played vinyl for a few hours. At least I was there in June! Is the AMR a new piece for you, or did someone bring it? I've always liked the build quality of AMR, but have really only listened to their DAC very much. How do you like the music from the CD player?

Skip drove down from Denton with a lot of gear, this piece being one. I like the AMR alot and the tube output did really well with my amps and horns. He did have a tube go out while here but I have a several NOS JAN tubes, so the fix was easy.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
The bigger the event, the greater the chance of a tube failing.....at least that's my experience.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
The bigger the event, the greater the chance of a tube failing.....at least that's my experience.
You are not alone with that experience, unfortunately. ;)

Tom

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Looked like a great get together, I've always enjoyed visiting friends houses and having them round at mine for a listening session and swapping bits of kit in and out the system, it's what makes hobby such good fun!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Looked like a great get together, I've always enjoyed visiting friends houses and having them round at mine for a listening session and swapping bits of kit in and out the system, it's what makes hobby such good fun!

Exactly! That's why we created a group here in the Austin area that we call 5one2 Audio. Just a bunch of us in the 512 area code that like to meet at each other's homes for listening sessions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing