You need to try this!

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I was messing around the other night and decided to put a capacitor between my phonostage bindingpost and the tonearm earthlead....... WOW i have no idea what was going on but the difference was not subtle. Soundstage got bigger Low frequencys improved. I dont know whether i was picking up RF or something else. I can`t advise you on what value cap to use, as i am still experimenting. For the cost you have to give this a go....

Last edited:

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
BTW you dont need to solder. For testing you can just wrap the ends around the spade of the lead and the bindingpost

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Did you have it grounded before the addition of the cap? Or are you comparing no ground to a ground through the cap?

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Grounded to grounded through cap.....

I definitely feel it cleans up the groundplane...

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So that would make them coupled at higher frequencies but not low. Plausible that it would make such a difference depending on the equipment in use. :)

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I am sure all tweaks like this are system dependent. It would be intersting to see if anyone hears the same improvement in their System though....

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Phonostages are by nature suscetible to noise and humm. One of the defining qualitys of a good phonostage is the absence of noise. Less noise is always better. I did not suffer from any noticeable noise or humm before this experiment. This is why i would be intersted if anyone else notices any difference at all.

theophile

What type and value of cap did you use?

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
It was a film foil cap used for crossovers like 150pf.....

Last edited:

theophile

Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing