MBL 101E Mk. II Listening Impressions Update

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
What you describe is down to a room acoustic which is not fit for the polar dispersion characteristics of the MBL which is probably enhanced by the use of the - other wise unique sound - of the 211. Too many reflections taking place and probably some flutter echo adding to it leading to a more agressively perceived sound, not only in the treble by the way. This leads to a cruel lack of density and focus. The ear is getting too much information during too long a time basically...

I would say that either you choose for such speaker and get to terms with its effect in your room or you seek the quintessence of what those speakers are capable of and hence need to treat your room acoustically. Let me advance you that putting absorbers left and right will not do the job, except reducing the unique dynamic capability of that speaker.

An interesting perception of a set up I did not describe accurately enough to give true understanding.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
An interesting perception of a set up I did not describe accurately enough to give true understanding.

I find it hard to believe a soundstage can be too big. I do if it is paired with a lack of focus and density. A violin sounding as big as a cello but sounding as a piccolo, a cello sounding like having the size of a grand piano but sounding like a violin, etc. There is often an opposite reaction between soundstage width and focus and density of sound (timbre). The wider the soundstage (increase distance between speakers is one way), the less focus and density is often going to result from that.

As you wrote that you have a lack of focus on top of a "too big a soundstage", I assumed - maybe wrongly - this scenario was the case. In fact, many MBL owners seem to find that there is fewer focus with their speakers than with others but probably most do not object such phenomenon as this seems compensated by a number of other things the MBL do well or simply because not everyone is in search of such pinpointed sound image, but I do I admit :rolleyes:.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Flyer - the MBLs were against the long wall of about a 20 foot long room. The listener sits only 7 ft away - very near field. The soundstage was as I described but I don't believe that's what most would want when you are only 7 ft away.

The owner is experimental in extremis - always swapping amps - in fact he had 10 the last time he fessed up. We've been messing around and experimenting with different components in each other's systems for a few years now. Each time we do it we learn a little more:)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Flyer - the MBLs were against the long wall of about a 20 foot long room. The listener sits only 7 ft away - very near field. The soundstage was as I described but I don't believe that's what most would want when you are only 7 ft away.

The owner is experimental in extremis - always swapping amps - in fact he had 10 the last time he fessed up. We've been messing around and experimenting with different components in each other's systems for a few years now. Each time we do it we learn a little more:)

Do you really mean they were up against or close to the wall? That is not how to set up MBL's and surely does't conform to the instructions that come with the speakers. :no:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Do you really mean they were up against or close to the wall? That is not how to set up MBL's and surely does't conform to the instructions that come with the speakers. :no:

No they sit out in the room a few feet. Believe me he has tried them everywhere and he likes them where they are now. It is compromised. But they still sound very good when hooked up to the right gear.

He'll happily use a £60 T-amp on them. I think it is rubbish, but he likes it. One of his favourite amps. Really:) Now the soundstage with one of those collapses hugely.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
That is very interesting, thank you. I just do not know the cause of the brightness/edginess I heard.
Hi Ron

Having just heard the latest MBL I detected no brightness

I note in the review it does mention that your listening height will effect the perceived brightness, I assume the closer u get to the tweeter height the brighter it will sound

Attachments

• B540DD2B-1C24-4B9C-9FF4-3E2BD56EFEC8.jpeg
    B540DD2B-1C24-4B9C-9FF4-3E2BD56EFEC8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • B5D0622D-202E-45F0-BFAB-DEC83800B3AA.jpeg
    B5D0622D-202E-45F0-BFAB-DEC83800B3AA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • 43890652-D8A1-4A49-8480-53482F6ED12F.jpeg
    43890652-D8A1-4A49-8480-53482F6ED12F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: Lagonda

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Go to Stockholm. Nice set up of Extremes with Torus, since you have the Torus as well. Stockholm's a great city too. Also you can AB with the Spectral and see why it is sounds much better to the MBL amps, IMO
Hi Ked

I agree the mbl 9000 series were a bit disappointing

Big sound and dynamic but limited in resolution compared with many modern amps, good timbre

I am guessing big Spectral would bring the resolution but would run very hot with that low efficiency

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron

Having just heard the latest MBL I detected no brightness

I note in the review it does mention that your listening height will effect the perceived brightness, I assume the closer u get to the tweeter height the brighter it will sound

This is a very polarizing speaker sonically. People either love it or find it to be too bright.

This speaker does many amazing things, and it does certain things better than any other speaker I’ve ever heard. I have listened to it numerous times at both audio shows and twice at length in a friend’s house.

I am afraid I found it relentlessly bright (meaning too much upper midrange/lower treble energy). My favorite amplifier for them is a hybrid amplifier like the Aesthetix Atlas.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
This is a very polarizing speaker sonically. People either love it or find it to be too bright.

This speaker does many amazing things, and it does certain things better than any other speaker I’ve ever heard. I have listened to it numerous times at both audio shows and twice at length in a friend’s house.

I am afraid I found it relentlessly bright (meaning too much upper midrange/lower treble energy). My favorite amplifier for them is a hybrid amplifier like the Aesthetix Atlas.
Yes agreed, it does some things very well, but not imaging and it doesn’t play soft
It’s interesting that you found it bright, as MF said it was one of the best tweeters he had heard, and I hate bright, yet it seemed fine to me

I suppose we won’t know, and it all comes down to personal taste , and if you don’t like it you dont

I found it lacked a bit of the body of some instruments like violin and cello, but massed strings sounded fine

JV thought the xtreme much better and speculated that not having the bass module under it improved the sound quality

Interesting thought

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes agreed, it does some things very well, but not imaging and it doesn’t play soft
It’s interesting that you found it bright, as MF said it was one of the best tweeters he had heard, and I hate bright, yet it seemed fine to me

I suppose we won’t know, and it all comes down to personal taste , and if you don’t like it you dont

I found it lacked a bit of the body of some instruments like violin and cello, but massed strings sounded fine

JV thought the xtreme much better and speculated that not having the bass module under it improved the sound quality

Interesting thought

So Awsmone - do you prefer your Quad 57 rig to these MBLs? Just curious.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Bill

I guess it depends on your priorities and room size

I love the quad timbre and natural impressions and sense at times of reality

Mine are very dynamic I must say within their limitations

Excellent bass in range of acoustic instruments pipe organs excepted

Large orchestral is not their best suit though

MBL do not focuses images
Sweeping soundstage and dynamics especially bass and deep bass

Good timbre but not perfect

Impression they don’t play soft well

Lack of body of instruments including violin and cello

This may point to Ron’s issue of too much treble balance, or the mbl amps

I didn’t find the MBLs quite up to the modern standard of microdynamics at least with the 101e

The speed and yet naturalness of the Quads is hard to beat, at times I shake my head and the way it portraits instruments

Now I have the Lamm m1.2 dialled in I will play more symphonies to see how the quads travel, as there is great clarity and higher envelop before clipping with these that was limited with other amps including better depth

I would like to hear the MBL with different amplifiers, maybe spectral 500 or ASR EXCLUSIVE, and more organic cables before final judgement

Interestingly I heard the mbl in a different set up, and they had the unrelenting brightness that Ron spoke of, and I think it is a function of set up, as the equipment was the same as I heard but different room!

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill

I guess it depends on your priorities and room size

I love the quad timbre and natural impressions and sense at times of reality

Mine are very dynamic I must say within their limitations

Excellent bass in range of acoustic instruments pipe organs excepted

Large orchestral is not their best suit though

MBL do not focuses images
Sweeping soundstage and dynamics especially bass and deep bass

Good timbre but not perfect

Impression they don’t play soft well

Lack of body of instruments including violin and cello

This may point to Ron’s issue of too much treble balance, or the mbl amps

I didn’t find the MBLs quite up to the modern standard of microdynamics at least with the 101e

The speed and yet naturalness of the Quads is hard to beat, at times I shake my head and the way it portraits instruments

Now I have the Lamm m1.2 dialled in I will play more symphonies to see how the quads travel, as there is great clarity and higher envelop before clipping with these that was limited with other amps including better depth

I would like to hear the MBL with different amplifiers, maybe spectral 500 or ASR EXCLUSIVE, and more organic cables before final judgement

Interestingly I heard the mbl in a different set up, and they had the unrelenting brightness that Ron spoke of, and I think it is a function of set up, as the equipment was the same as I heard but different room!

Incredible to think that it isn’t clear cut at all given price disparities for a newly renovated pair of 57s versus a pair of 101Es then...

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Bill
I guess it has something to do with my sonic priorities
Timbral accuracy and true to life microdynamics have become more important to me

The Quads have been a revelation
The Lamms seem to have given them another 5db and the bass is scarily good
Combined with an earthy organic pre, I am pretty much happy

I see much to like about the 101e, but I would need to play with the combo, as I said in the quad thread, I chanced upon a great starting point

The room is a big factor with the 101e that’s very obvious

With Electrostatic dipoles, the room is taken out of the equation to a greater extent ie lower frequency than cone drivers that are monopoles in radiation

This endows them with a natural advantage even before we start on about the low mass of the membranes and speed

That the quads have this timbral rightness, I am not sure is by design or a happy fluke ....

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hi Ked

I agree the mbl 9000 series were a bit disappointing

Big sound and dynamic but limited in resolution compared with many modern amps, good timbre

I am guessing big Spectral would bring the resolution but would run very hot with that low efficiency
From your pictures i assume you heard them with the smaller 9008 amps, not the big 9011’s. The 9008’s are fine if you have a second set on the bass drivers ! :)
The sources you where listening to are not the Reference line, maybe that explains the lack of resolution? The bass is very impressive but has limits both
in depth and nuance in my opinion. With sub towers these limits disappear, imaging improves and the amps driving the upper range is less stressed.
A superb analog front end makes you realize what these speakers can do in the treble, on digital i always had some of the misgivings that Ron describes.
And yes room treatment is not an option, if you want to hear them at their best,
personally i would never place the source rack between them.
I come from many years of listening to electrostatics, and love what panels
do in the midrange, the MBL’s come close to the very best panels in that regard, with added capabilities in the highest treble. If you end up perceiving that
as brightness is often a matter of setup or conditioning.
In my opinion, of course!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It’s interesting that you found it bright, as MF said it was one of the best tweeters he has heard . . .

. . . JV thought the xtreme much better and speculated that not having the bass module under it improved the sound quality

. . .

As I wrote above I do not know if my brightness “issue” is excessive (to my ears) treble energy or excessive (to my ears) upper midrange/lower treble energy.

I have enormous respect for MF. A lot of reading of his reviews suggests to me that MF simply prefers subjectively a slightly leaner tonal balance than I do.

He liked the Maxx 3 and I found that speaker to sound too bright for me. MF opted for the darTZeel 458s, preferring them to the VTL Siegfried IIs, and I went the other way. MF generally likes the Lyra Atlas, and he finds the cartridges I like best to be a touch warmer than neutral. So it would make perfect sense to me that I might find the 101E Mk. II to sound bright while MF does not.

I like very much the four column design of the MBL X-Tremes. But I am not sure if doubling up on the tweeter drivers would help me with my brightness “issue.”

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
From your pictures i assume you heard them with the smaller 9008 amps, not the big 9011’s. The 9008’s are fine if you have a second set on the bass drivers ! :)
The sources you where listening to are not the Reference line, maybe that explains the lack of resolution? The bass is very impressive but has limits both
in depth and nuance in my opinion. With sub towers these limits disappear, imaging improves and the amps driving the upper range is less stressed.
A superb analog front end makes you realize what these speakers can do in the treble, on digital i always had some of the misgivings that Ron describes.
And yes room treatment is not an option, if you want to hear them at their best,
personally i would never place the source rack between them.
I come from many years of listening to electrostatics, and love what panels
do in the midrange, the MBL’s come close to the very best panels in that regard, with added capabilities in the highest treble. If you end up perceiving that
as brightness is often a matter of setup or conditioning.
In my opinion, of course!

Yes your correct these were 9008 not 9011

I am not familiar with the mbl front end equipment and take your word for that

I agree the room I heard on were less than ideal, and you could be correct about lack of resolution being in the front end

Clearly they do things in the bass that my CLX cannot, I didn’t play organ music so cannot comment on deep bass, most acoustical instruments only go down to 40 hz, and just a very few below other than organ
Heard a lot of drum tracks but as you know a lot of the sound of a drum is upper frequency not bass

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
:)
Yes your correct these were 9008 not 9011

I am not familiar with the mbl front end equipment and take your word for that

I agree the room I heard on were less than ideal, and you could be correct about lack of resolution being in the front end

Clearly they do things in the bass that my CLX cannot, I didn’t play organ music so cannot comment on deep bass, most acoustical instruments only go down to 40 hz, and just a very few below other than organ
Heard a lot of drum tracks but as you know a lot of the sound of a drum is upper frequency not bass
When i bought my MBL’s i was very close to a deal on a pair of CLX anniversary !
One of my favorite speakers. I was using my CLS ‘s with Vandersteen subs as
my main system at the time, and wanted to order a spare set of panels.
The Danish importer had a pair of CLX for sale at a favorable price at the
time and after a couple of hours of listening i was close to sold.
In the end of the nineties i wanted to buy a pair of Martin Logan Statement E2, but the resellers in south Florida “Sound Advice” did not carry them !
Martin Logan told me to go hear them In Lawrence Kansas or one of the dealers
that did. Stereophile was having the yearly show in Chicago that year and the
dealer in Chicago did have a pair . M L did not exhibit at the show,
but Gayle Sanders was going to be at the store and demo his Masterpiece.
I booked into the hotel where the show was and took a cab out to the
store. Showroom conditions where not ideal, and the Krell amp driving
the bass towers was a smaller model. But i was impressed and Gayle and the
store owner gave me a good deal, and i took it.
Handshakes where given and i left a cash deposit of $5000 with promise of more next week. Then i went to the Stereophile show. One of the rooms
had a full MBL reference setup, and it kept pulling me back in !
I heard things in that system i had never heard before !
But a handshake is a contract in my world, and $5000 is $5000.
10 years later just before committing to the CLX’s a Norwegian gentleman
put a pair of MBL 101 E’s up for sale at about the same price as i was going to
pay for the CLX’s and the memory of that show demo won me over, and the
rest is history!

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I
As I wrote above I do not know if my brightness “issue” is excessive (to my ears) treble energy or excessive (to my ears) upper midrange/lower treble energy.

I have enormous respect for MF. A lot of reading of his reviews suggests to me that MF simply prefers subjectively a slightly leaner tonal balance than I do.

He liked the Maxx 3 and I found that speaker to sound too bright for me. MF opted for the darTZeel 458s, preferring them to the VTL Siegfried IIs, and I went the other way. MF generally likes the Lyra Atlas, and he finds the cartridges I like best to be a touch warmer than neutral. So it would make perfect sense to me that I might find the 101E Mk. II to sound bright while MF does not.

I like very much the four column design of the MBL X-Tremes. But I am not sure if doubling up on the tweeter drivers would help me with my brightness “issue.”
:)

When i bought my MBL’s i was very close to a deal on a pair of CLX anniversary !
One of my favorite speakers. I was using my CLS ‘s with Vandersteen subs as
my main system at the time, and wanted to order a spare set of panels.
The Danish importer had a pair of CLX for sale at a favorable price at the
time and after a couple of hours of listening i was close to sold.
In the end of the nineties i wanted to buy a pair of Martin Logan Statement E2, but the resellers in south Florida “Sound Advice” did not carry them !
Martin Logan told me to go hear them In Lawrence Kansas or one of the dealers
that did. Stereophile was having the yearly show in Chicago that year and the
dealer in Chicago did have a pair . M L did not exhibit at the show,
but Gayle Sanders was going to be at the store and demo his Masterpiece.
I booked into the hotel where the show was and took a cab out to the
store. Showroom conditions where not ideal, and the Krell amp driving
the bass towers was a smaller model. But i was impressed and Gayle and the
store owner gave me a good deal, and i took it.
Handshakes where given and i left a cash deposit of $5000 with promise of more next week. Then i went to the Stereophile show. One of the rooms
had a full MBL reference setup, and it kept pulling me back in !
I heard things in that system i had never heard before !
But a handshake is a contract in my world, and $5000 is $5000.
10 years later just before committing to the CLX’s a Norwegian gentleman
put a pair of MBL 101 E’s up for sale at about the same price as i was going to
pay for the CLX’s and the memory of that show demo won me over, and the
rest is history!
thats a very interesting experience
What amplifiers and cabling are you using
And what kinds of music do u listen to

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I

thats a very interesting experience
What amplifiers and cabling are you using
And what kinds of music do u listen to
MBL 9011 on the 101 E’s, Krell FPB 700cx on the Statement sub towers.
Straightwire Crescendo 1 and 2 Mogami IC’s.
I listen to Jazz, blues, folk, bluegrass, gospel, country and blues rock. My classical education is regretfully lacking !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing