Doshi V3.0 Line Preamp

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am considering getting one of these to replace my Audio Research Ref 5 SE. I was hoping others who have the unit care share some impressions and tell me what they replaced when the got the v3.0.

Also, does the unit have to be on for the HT bypass to function?

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
David,

The line Stage does not have to be powered on for bypass. it does have to be plugged into the wall. there is a small power supply that senses a remote trigger and activates the bypass relays in the unit.

HTH

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
David,

The line Stage does not have to be powered on for bypass. it does have to be plugged into the wall. there is a small power supply that senses a remote trigger and activates the bypass relays in the unit.

HTH

Thanks Nick. I think that is a great option. No sense in having the unit on just for bypass.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What tubes have people tried in the v 3.0 line stage? I have a pair of 12BH7As on their way to me to try out.

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
12BH7 come in many flavors - some of the older RCA blackplate have a darker sound. There are other variants including two different versions of ECC99 (nickel and gold pins)

More esoteric tubes like 13D6 Brimar are extremely good but rare as are some Japanese built 12BH7A. The line stage runs a bit of current through the triodes so the smaller 12 volt variants would be over their dissipation (12AT/12AU/etc)

HTH

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Is the CV5042 a good choice too?

jhulick

May 11, 2015
I haven't heard the Doshi v3.0 preamp but I own v2.1 and it was the direct replacement of my previous preamp, the Audio Research Reference 3. For what it's worth, below are some of the sonic qualities (from what I remember) I noticed during my the Doshi v2.1 vs ARC 3 comparison. Both had good sounding tubes that were broken in (ARC tubes were from the dealer). I also brought my friend's ARC REF3 into my system to be sure mine wasn't in need to tuning.

* Doshi v2.1 is very fast. The ARC REF3 is sluggish in comparison.
* Doshi v2.1 is very clear. Details on recordings are revealed better than what I heard with the ARC REF3.
* Doshi v2.1 has fantastic timbre/harmonic qualities. It's a hybrid design but it doesn't sound analytical and has the right amount of tube sound. The REF3 sounds murky or "tubey" in comparison.
* Doshi v2.1 has a better sound stage, holographic and instruments/vocals placed well in the image.

The Doshi v2.1 was a big step up for me. I've also compared it to another high-end preamp, within my system, that costs much more and I believe that the Doshi preamp is a great value.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I just bought a pair of pre-owned Doshi Jhor 180's 2.5v (accepts the KT-150 tube but retains point-to-point wiring). I am in love again.:eek: Unfortunately I have a audio rack that I have to use due to size restraints, and the power switch is on the back of the amps, which will not work for me. I can plug the amps into my power strip/conditioner, or get a a Doshi preamp and control the power with the pre. I have a Concert Fidelity CX-80 pre now and was wondering if anyone has compared the two for sound quality. Happy New Year all!

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
hello, welcome to the Doshi Club - The easiest way would be to get a good power strip or a Henry Engineering relay box. Please get in touch with me in the new year and maybe we can come up with another solution that will work for you. Regards, Nick

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks Nick, much appreciated. Good idea, as I have a Sound Application conditioner. Love your amps!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing