I'm new here...

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Dear WBF Members
I have been a Reader for quite some Time and thought this would be a good opportunity to finally join in and introduce myself.

I have been a Audiophile since before I even knew what that was. The experiences with (mainly German speaking) Hifi forums have not been great. Tha last Forum I left was because I said I heard a difference in using different Record Calmps/weights. The Response was Quote “get the Popcorn out, Vodoo hour has started”. As funny as that is, it beckons the Question what the hell I am doing here… Very much a case of the Blind leading the Blind. I understand It’s kind of Ironic in the wake of the Peter B incident but I get the feeling that even do I don’t agree with everything that’s being written at least its well-mannered and you know your stuff!

My System has evolved over the last 10 years. Vinyl is my weapon of Choice. The least I can say about the Acoustic solid Turntable is that it indeed has been a “solid” foundation for whatever Arm or cartridge I have mounted on it. The cadenza Bronze is last stop for me. With every “affordable” arm I have tried there have been things I have liked and things I haven’t liked. All part of the Game…
I am quite a fan of Touraj Moghaddam . He founded Roksan audio and now runs Vertere (he is the guy that designed that 30K Tonearm). The man is a true Genius. I have owned several of his designs and they have always been excellent (in the case of the Roksan gear amazing price performance ratio too). Please note on the Picture that I have removed the faceplate of the Phonostage due to aesthetic reasons.

The Kef Ls 50 have been one of the most educational experiences I have ever had in this Hobby.
I think I have to start a new thread in the kef section of this forum to share some observations.

When it comes to music, I do like all the Audiophile stuff but it doesn’t shape my world.
I want to share with you one Album that really affected since it was released. I understand it may be a bit adventurous for some but I believe it is comparable with works like Pet sounds by the Beach boys or even sgt.Peppers by the Beatles ( at the very least in its originality)
The Album is “an awesome wave” by Alt -J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3fTw_D3l10

PS: Please forgive any spelling mistakes, I do try :)

Attachments

• 2015-07-28-622.jpg
    2015-07-28-622.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • 2015-07-28-618.jpg
    2015-07-28-618.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Welcome to "the one and only Billy Shears". We are a bunch of wing nutz to be sure, but a good bunch, so jump in the water is fine! :D

Nice bit of kit!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome Billy! We hope your stay and time with us is a pleasant and enjoyable one. :)

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Thanks Guys..

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Welcome, Billy. I am a proud owner of mini-monitors as well, see the system thread linked in my signature.

I can fully understand that vinyl is your weapon of choice, since I have heard outstanding vinyl playback in other WBF members' homes in recent times. Yet I love my CD playback as well, and it gives me all the music that I want. I listen mostly to classical and classical avant-garde; the latter is almost non-existent on vinyl and for the former CD gives me the performances that I am looking for. Yet I do listen to a lot of jazz too, and some rock as well; Zappa is my favorite.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum! Listening to the Burkhart track as I type this. Nice!

The LS50 has been a game changer for many. We had quite a discussion about them at the time of introduction.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Hi Amir

Yes they can do some things that are unheard of in that price category (forgive the pun).
But they are absolutely not "plug and play"

I have heard them in loads of different setups and they can go from thin and glassy to warm and mushy, to mindbendingly sensational, dependig on their enviroment.

McLennan

May 19, 2015
Frankfurt/Germany
Willkommen im WhatsBestForum.
Sehr schönes Laufwerk!

Grüße

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Danke McLennan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing