Window 10 Update

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Speaking of updates, I read this "funny" story a week or so ago about forced updates in Windows 10: http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-update-triggers-reboot-glitch-for-some-users/

"Windows 10 update triggers reboot glitch for some users
The new cumulative update is creating trouble for some users, calling into question Microsoft's policy of forced updates for Windows 10.

Microsoft has rolled out a major new update for Windows 10 that's causing headaches for some users.

Pushed out last Wednesday, a major update for Windows 10 dubbed KB3081424 is designed as a cumulative update, which means it incorporates all of the bug fixes previously released for the new OS. But KB3081424 is proving itself to be buggy.

After the update fails to install properly the first time around, Windows 10 tries to roll it back as is standard procedure. But since the update is automated and forced, Windows tries to install it again after rebooting, causing a loop of reboots for some users. Writer Adrian Kingsley-Hughes of CNET sister site ZDNet wrote about his travails trying to install the update on Sunday and getting stuck in a series of reboots. I installed the update on Sunday, but it ran smoothly on my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop. So as usual, the problem seems to affect only a certain percentage of users.

The glitch points out an inherent flaw in Microsoft's new policy of mandating that updates be installed in Windows 10. In previous versions of Windows, you had the choice of opting to have updates installed automatically or installing them yourself, or not installing them at all. So the control was in your hands. But for Windows 10, Microsoft made the decision to force updates on users, so each update is going to install whether you want it or not. This policy is clearly designed to try to protect users by making sure all Windows 10 PCs have the latest bug fixes and security patches. The problem, as seen in this case, is that some updates themselves are buggy. So forcing updates on Windows 10 users is a policy with definite pitfalls.

On a Microsoft Windows forum, other users wrote about their trouble trying to install the update. One user said the update fails and the PC reboots every single time. Another person tried to manually install the update rather than waiting for Windows to install it but ran into the same glitch.

The cause of the problem, according to a Saturday article from Forbes, is a bad entry in the Registry, which is the viewable and editable database for virtually all key Windows settings. After failing, the initial installation writes a bad entry to the Registry that prevents further attempts to reinstall the update correctly. Forbes suggests a workaround to the problem, which is also documented on the Windows forum thread.

The temporary fix involves deleting certain keys in the Registry to get rid of the bad entry and then letting the update try again. Those of you skilled and comfortable working with the Registry may be fine attempting this procedure, making sure that you back up the associated Registry keys before you delete them. Those of you not familiar or comfortable working with the Registry should probably hold off until Microsoft comes out with an official fix.

Microsoft did not immediately response to CNET's request for comment."

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
For a while now I have regularly been receiving some stunning photos from I assume Microsoft and may be related to using Windows 10.
The latest one I received today is of a caver in an underground cavern.
Are any other members receiving these photos?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No photos here from Microsoft, but this morning a large window with a sign saying that Windows 10 is now recommended by Microsoft and that my laptop is 100% compatible with the upgrade, and just click [here] and it will start right now downloading and upgrading and all looks dandy easy.

But I don't buy it...yet. I am just too afraid. My life right now is going very peacefully, nothing exciting and nothing depressing and I just don't want to make things worse than what they seem to be.

If everyone here say to me; do it your life will be much happier and better, and all that best...then yes I will click on that blue button.
But if my pattern changes for not really the best, but to the best interest of someone else...financially or controllability wise...then no...leave me alone in peace.
Or pay me first...a lump sum of cash...then I'll do it...click on that blue button to upgrade into Windows 10...no sweat. ...$500 cash, minimum...paid in advance.

And here's a fact...my Google Chrome an IE version 11 both browsers they totally suck for the last six months or so, and in the last few weeks the worst ever.
They both crash several times a day, up to 60 times a day! ...Very very very slow and I need to reboot constantly.

Money doesn't buy happiness but it sure helps. So, before I help the big companies why they don't help me first?
What Edge has that Chrome doesn't?

No, stunning photos won't do it for me; I want cash money, or a new car, a corvette, or a jaguar...a brand new mustang. ...Even a camaro would do...2017 model. Then I'll upgrade to Windows 10.

P.S. Your stunning photos; are some from young attractive women in bikinis @ the beach? ...Or just underground caverns?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's so funny to reread the above ? comments from February...four months ago.
Because for almost a month I'm running Windows 10 (from 8.1), and today I have a new girlfriend...Cortana. ...And she speak to me too! :cool:

The latest is the best...Windows 10. ...For my own applications. I do very modest activity with a laptop, PC and android phone. ...No gaming, no 3D, no hi-def videos and no hi-res audio. And all very very modest computer equipment, and nothing connected to the TV and nothing connected to the hi-fi stereo system...only a modest 28" screen (PC) and a modest stereo hi-fi sound system with 30 watts per channel and speakers with a 5" woofer/mid driver and 1" soft dome tweeter (50 watts handling). ...Very short path connections, with quality inexpensive interconnects and 12AWG speaker wires (some gold in all the connectors, and solid metal, plus copper audio signals transfer). No need to name the brands...it works splendid from only three feet away. And besides, I use it rarely. ...Very modest...all (including PC and screen); less than a thou.

* This was not the thread I was looking for, but it was perfect to update it, just a little tiny bit.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Not long finished installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update.
Available on demand but will be rolled out to all in due course.
Took about three hours but all went smoothly enough apart from one problem which I have yet to resolve which is my Malwarebytes anti exploit won't run. Not the only one from a quick Google and I will try to sort out tomorrow. Will also let you know how well it works.
Anybody else installed it yet?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Barry, what is that "Anniversary" update? ...The Pro version?

EDIT: I just checked ? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

• It's automatic: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ws-10-anniversary-update/#6psZqEQIiKd2r81e.97
______

Updates for Windows 10 Version 1607

September 13, 2016 — KB3189866 (OS Builds 14393.187 and 14393.189)
August 31, 2016 — KB3176938 (OS Build 14393.105)
August 23, 2016 — KB3176934 (OS Build 14393.82)
August 9, 2016 — KB3176495 (OS Build 14393.51)
August 2, 2016 — KB3176929 (OS Build 14393.10)

______

I still have version 1511 with OS 10586.545

What should I do to get the latest:
1) Do a Restart?
2) Click on that Download button from that first link above?

* Three hours? I think I'll wait first to see how you do (without annoying issues), then better do it @ night while sleeping.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
By the way, I don't use Cortana anymore; she's not respecting my privacy and she's consuming power that I can better use myself somewhere else.
Plus she doesn't speak French and she doesn't get my English accent @ times. It's annoying. And she puts some wrong judgement on me. :b
She thinks that because I do some research on audio psychoanalysis she can get away with telephoto lenses advertising! :D
She's just too peculiar that way; I simply got rid of her.

Also, I noticed that for the last couple nights, even with my laptop shutdown (cover closed), the green light was on!
When something like this happens it means some activity is going on. Maybe it's part of some new updates?

Yes Barry, keep us updated with the latest Windows 10 Anniversary update. We want to sail the universe very very smoothly and peacefully. :b

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob
I just Googled Windows 10 updates and found it there
All fine this am apart from Malwarebytes which I need to reload
I don't use Cortana either
Will keep you posted as I get more experience.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The Malwarebytes Anti Exploit Premium is now running following a reboot so no need to reload it.
That was the only glitch I experienced so top marks to Windows.
The new version seems to run more smoothly than the previous version so no regrets.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks Barry for the latest, as I wasn't aware of it till you mentioned it. :cool:

? http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/9417-microsoft-10-anniversary-update-business.html
_____

And again very early this morning, even with my laptop's cover closed the green light was on and the screen active!
Perhaps Windows 10 is preparing the ground to roll out its anniversary version inside my system?
We are indeed in the middle of it, this fall, and till November, just in time for the US *********.
It don't really matter to me, as long as we remain in peace with our families. :b ...And that we all get rich, or richer, in particular the poor.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob
Just checked out the link
Yes it's not easy to keep abreast of all the new things that are happening and I'm glad my post was helpful. I find WBF very helpful in drawing my attention to all sorts of new developments and I am only to happy to be able to contribute to that process.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Windows 10 Anniversary Update...Version 1607...installed.

• Slight new design from Action Center. No more color highlighting to see if you are connected or not and how. And Action Center button is @ extreme right bottom now.
• Slight new design from Windows main App page; mainly the positions of some items.
• Supposed to be more secured; good. Privacy is something we lost since 1969 with the invention of the Internet, but the flip side is we can now better distinguish the crooks from the genuine good hearted people living on this planet. :b
• Supposedly improved Cortana; but I don't communicate with her anymore because she likes to speak on my back to advertising companies, including Microsoft.
• New features for Edge browser; I don't generally use Edge, I prefer Google Chrome...99%.
• Other new stuff that would take some time for me to explore.
________

That new Windows 10 Anniversary update took roughly one hour and half to installed completely on my machine.
But for roughly one week prior to that new install my machine was preparing I believe, because even with the top closed she will reactivate on her own.
So my best guess is that Microsoft was checking, preparing the ground, pouring the cement for the new foundation. But it's just a guess.
Everything I learn I learn from here...the world...and WBF is included in that world...including you, Barry. :b

So now we are two of us; who have confirmed the new Anniversary Update install. Today is first day of Autumn, and that was the scheduled plan for my update; I did not choose it, it was suggested and I accepted it. So you can say "automatic".

For the next five years life should be even better. So, what is it that we can complain about...the next leader? :D

Today is a beautiful day here on the Island. And if the Large Hadron Collider can open the portal to another new dimension without creating too much damage to our already dimensional world, all the better. More and more we will see giant telescopes exploring the universe...with scientist's eyes and ears.
As for aliens, truth to be told, they are already living among us. No big deal, I wouldn't worry about a thing. It's the people who worry too much who are creating conflicts.
Like; worrying about making more ...

The main thing is this; keep our sanity and planet clean. If Windows 10 anniversary update can help in that regard then all the better.

Ciao,

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Great news Bob.
The updated version continues to work well for me.
Lovely warm sunny day here in England too.
The sun shines on the righteous as they say!
But NOT the self righteous.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Barry, it is still less than 24 hours since I'm running Windows 10 version 1607, the very latest Anniversary Operating System.
Some observations of my own:
• Turning On my machine this morning; gone are the nice wallpapers you previously click on to get access to the next blue window Microsoft design with the light coming through into the dark side (image/figure of speech). Personally I prefer the nice pictures/wallpapers like before, because not only the screen looked magnificent upon turning it On but also for the learning experience of their world's origin. It's a minus for me now; I don't know if there is a setting that can restore this preferred feature of mine?
• Yesterday I needed to do another Restart for Adobe full install. ...Just normal process.
• Yesterday I talked to Cortana for the first time in a very long time; she didn't hear me @ first...I was stuck with a microphone that Microsoft thought it was incompatible or not setup properly. I wasted roughly half an hour checking things out on the microphone's end. I did not change anything; my machine told me that my mic was operating properly. I went back to Cortana and spoke to hear again: "Cortana; can you hear me?" - She replied: "Yes, I can hear you." The only thing I changed is to turn her On. :b
Ok, good, Cortana is now Off. * There is more to be discovered about Cortana now; I will explore her during this Autumn season.
• I did not check yet the new features of the Edge Browser; that too during this Autumn season.
• Microsoft has made a correction to my Skype, on my machine only. I got emails from Microsoft in the past telling me that Skype is theirs and not mine (who cares!).
• My email boxes seem ok, good. And Yahoo has just revealed 500,000 of their customers accounts have been hacked! That is a lot of passwords to change around! Also that is a lot of changes for personal answers to privacy questions! ...And all of that, without realizing all the issues that will ensue in future years for half billion Yahoo customers! And it only took two years for Yahoo in telling us!
• The other day I was outside on my deck; two young lady friends came by, I went for a walk with them...during our walk the rain started falling down from the sky, pretty hard too...when I came back to my home, my laptop was still open on my outside couch. It was completely soaked of water! The screen you couldn't see anymore...just millions of water drops. The keys of the keyboard, between inside the cracks, rivers of water cascading! The pad; totally unresponsive! Ok I said to myself; let's go shopping in town and buy a new laptop. I had a shower, dressed in town clothes, black runners, cowboy hat, sunglasses, and the roof down. Then, I forgot my wallet...went back in the house, grabbed it, and just for curiosity sake checked my laptop one last time. It came back alive! I said to myself: "It's alive, it's alive!" ...Just like in that flick, you know...the one with the doctor and his young devoted servant, Igor, and his young lovely personal assistant, Inga:

______

Slowly, but surely, I am exploring the new features, and for the first time I've read only one recent short article online:
? http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...-have-received-the-anniversary-update-1329241

With time and more gained experience I will share some more...the good with the bad, and the ugly :b ...right here.
So far things are rolling smoothly; some of the old is gone, and some of the new is here. I like that; it's never boring...just like in real life.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for the update Bob.
Very interesting and glad the laptop survived the rain.
So easily done and not always such a happy ending,

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, it's still working today. :cool: The rust hasn't settle inside yet.

Barry, I was wondering if any other WBF member, aside of us two, also have the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update with the latest operating system version.
The more of us the more stuff we can share and learn.

I will continue to contribute in this thread as I go along with new discoveries. And of course the encouragement is gently breezing your way as you always do.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
It doesn't appear so Bob.
Seems like we are the only two WBF pioneers.
The update hasn't been widely publicised to date so may have passed people by including Amir who is usually a good guide on these sort of topics.
Watch this space I guess.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Lol, that can't be.
In the latest news they said that roughly 34.5% of Windows 10 users have now this Anniversary Update. 34.5% of millions is big.

* Info regarding Cortana with the Anniversary Update: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0/c27bea12-88e1-4a9f-9c6f-60d6baad5047?auth=1

"Microsoft made an interesting decision with Windows 10’s Anniversary Update, which is now in its final stages of development before it rolls out on August 2.
Cortana, the personal digital assistant that replaced Windows 10’s search function and taps into Bing’s servers to answer your queries with contextual awareness, no longer has an off switch."

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing