Window 10 Update

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's not as though Apple's OS updates haven't had their share of snafu's. At least Microsoft has adopted Apple's policy of making the OS update free for a change.

I honestly cannot ever remember a download snafu with Apple

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Not a download snafu, no, but several versions of OS 10.6 and higher have quickly required patches and updates due to problems. For awhile there it seemed as if I was updating twice a week.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Facetime...my brother has it. ...After he experienced Skype he told me it is much better.

Is the best to have both operating systems; Microsoft and Apple? ...The end of all wars when we espouse the two grand schemes. ...No? ...Yes?
I'm sure both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (RIP) know best.

Barrack Obama, Donald Trump, Warren Buffet, Neil Young, Prince, Metallica...what OS are they using? ...And what do they think about Windows 10?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^^^ Its funny you care about their OS use, Bob. 'cuz frankly I don't think they give a damn' -Rhett

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
^^^ Its funny you care about their OS use, Bob. 'cuz frankly I don't think they give a damn' -Rhett

You might be right Ron...but then you might be wrong too. :D

Maybe it's best to have them all? ...Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and Apple's latest OS.
People have multiple cars, multiple homes, multiple friends, multiple music selections, multiple movie's collection, multiple computers...tablets, laptops, portable cell phones, PCs, Mac Pros, ...multiple life's destinations and emotions.

I'll wait some more before getting Windows 10 ...perhaps another laptop or tablet.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Barrack Obama, Donald Trump, Warren Buffet, Neil Young, Prince, Metallica...what OS are they using? ...And what do they think about Windows 10?
I looked this up. Obama is a Mac person as that is how his campaign was run. I found no other information on the rest of the people you list although if I were to bet, I would say Buffet would be inclined to use Windows given his strong friendship with Bill Gates.

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm
How come so many threads derail like this one has done?

Been in the IT industry since Intel released the 8086 CPU (go figure when ...) and been employed by IT companies Burroughs (long gone), Unisys and IBM. Expected to contribute for the benefit of all on this specific subject i.e. Windows 10, being an early adopter of new IT technology ... and I never get screwed in this tech area @GaryProtein ... ;-)

Couldn't care less if it's OSX, iOS, Android, OS/390, Linux, Windows or whatever - only importance is the application within whatever supporting environment.

Maintaining focus on a given thread subject seems to be a challenge (written with a smile, my kids complain I'm lousy at using the correct emoji)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^^^ I hear you Lars. Since I was in the biz before there was an IT industry, department or section or group.

prerich

May 21, 2012

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm
^^^ I hear you Lars. Since I was in the biz before there was an IT industry, department or section or group.

Need your recipe for a long life, remember Burroughs started in 1885 with mechanical information technology, in vivid memory since I was part of the 100 years celebration party ... ;-) Poor brother who's only invention was Tarzan.

Anyways, using Roon now on Windows 10, own built MediaPC running Roon Core with Dell XPS 15 running Roon Client. Works great and rediscovering own music as well as new music, no Windows 10 related probs, minor hickups from Roon, but then again it's on rel 1.0.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Need your recipe for a long life, remember Burroughs started in 1885 with mechanical information technology, in vivid memory since I was part of the 100 years celebration party ... ;-) Poor brother who's only invention was Tarzan.

Hey as a kid I loved his Barsoom series more so than Tarzan, that makes two inventions :)
Cheers
Orb

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Need your recipe for a long life, remember Burroughs started in 1885 with mechanical information technology
Wheaties and a wheat beer in the morning.
I did interview with them in '70 when I was discharged from USN. Took the RCA offer instead. A year later RCA was out of the general purpose computer biz just like GE before it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Got notice this morning that Windows 10 was ready to be installed on my machine. It puts up the EULA and I accept and it immediately gives me this error:

I suspect this is due to me cloning my old SSD to a larger one. But still, this is totally unacceptable. While I know what a reserved partition is, who else does? And why would it get such an error with no other recourse?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Not me for one Amir.
FWIW I asked the Dell tech guy if they were getting many calls about problems with Windows 10 and he said not very many.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just had a notice that Windows 10 was ready for my computer...a big notice...not a small logo that I got about six weeks ago or so.
...It appeared about 30 minutes ago...I declined.

What is strange though is that for the last four or five hours all my screens were fuzzy, the texts I couldn't read from several sites, the pictures all look chromatic, ...brief I was freaking out and I tried all type of settings and was just about to do a restore point.

There are days like that when I hate computers. :b ...I'm very serious; it was that bad. I shut it down and reopened it and then it came back normal, as it was before, thanks god because I was just about to lose my mind.

* It's like if Windows 10 really wanted to take over by screwing up Windows 8.1 ... maybe I'll switch to Apple/Mac afterwards. :D

? Oh, and four more girls in the last couple days trying to get in touch from my Skype account...I blocked them all and even reported them...as spammers. Microsoft they can deal with them...me I want peace. :b

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
I upgraded to 10 a couple of days ago
Went of smoothly
Audio wise I don't see any reason to upgrade or not to upgrade.

Except of course when you have a TP driver for your DAC.
Do check if it is Win10 compliant otherwise it is probably silence.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just finished the Win 10 update. Took exactly one hour and no apparent hiccups.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing