Window 10 Update

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Anybody else having problems with the Windows 10 update?
Here in the UK my Windows 7 Dell laptop a has twice failed to download the the Windows 10 automatic update

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm
Yes, downloaded to USB flash mem then installed on Dell XPS 15 Win 8.1/64 and two of our desktops Win 7/64 (powerful gaming PC's built by myself & used by my two sons).

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Yes, downloaded to USB flash mem then installed on Dell XPS 15 Win 8.1/64 and two of our desktops Win 7/64 (powerful gaming PC's built by myself & used by my two sons).

Yes, I was using USB flash too with plenty of space on it - I'll try downloading the ISO & then go through the process of creating a bootable USB stick to copy it to, etc.....

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll just wait until they get to me. What size flash drive would I need if I didn't?

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm
>3GB, I used a 4GB

Now also installed on my MediaPC dedicated to music. May well be a placebo effect but to me it sounds better then Win7/64, using Roon and very, very happy I jumped on that train. Been a long time JRiver user.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
its simple, you just wait two weeks and let the first adopters feel the pain. I usually wait for the first patch.
turn off automatic updates.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am still waiting for my push update. Early reviews are pretty positive so I am inclined to install it on my laptop now.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
There are a few issues that can prevent Win10 from installing, but after following a few steps that I found online I was able to force a Win10 upgrade onto my laptop. It is pretty sweet, but I really like 8.1, so what do I know?

I believe that once you clear the path for the update, it is the most seamless and precise MS operating system update, yet.

To those who are having problems getting it to latch:

Go to C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Downloads, and delete everything in the download folder, but not the folder itself. Next, open a Command Prompt with Administrator rights. Type in "wuauclt.exe /upgradenow", but without the quotes. Then, try again. That worked for me.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What benefits are you seeing so far, Win?

And, how come some folks recommend it highly (Windows 10 upgrade) and others almost swear not to?
Who should we trust first; people who have it now, or people who will have it later on? ...Or the Apple people? ;)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Some who swear not to may be having problems with the Windows Automatic Update and it screwing some drivers which they then cannot roll-back.
Looks like a couple of recent automatic updates can be causing a bit of grief for some users, and other drivers pushed can be causing hassle for some Nvidia cards (following some sites AMD has lesser issues for now).

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Just a heads up if using Windows 10 as many will be caught out by the way it will use your bandwidth to distribute patches similar to P2P unless change the option.
Seems for some (all?) it is enabled by default; tbh this sounds like a really stupid idea to me as I would think in the future it would be susceptible to man in the middle attacks and then malicious code transmitted.
Not sure how it applies to patch-apps.
More on it here: http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/81661-microsoft-use-p2p-distribute-windows-10-os-app-updates/

Was a German tech site that made me aware today the options need to be checked.
Cheers
Orb

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
so why do you PC guys always accept that you must go through this agony with every new Windows version ;)

I was going to say the exact same thing!

I never change to a newer operating system in the first three to four months of its existence. I would rather have you adventurous guys get screwed, I mean find the flaws and wait for patches to be made, before I risk my computer and data before entering unknown territory. :p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If you make a mistake, or miss an important upgrade...if you forgot your password...if you are less than skilled in the arts of computerized compositions...if you miss a beat too often...a security alert or too many downloaded programs of the same...some older ones that need to be uninstalled...if you have to wait 24 hours before you can sign in again with a new code and password...life itself becomes less miserable.

...I'll wait...too many things are lost forever.

I take no pleasure in feeling or superior or inferior to all my equals. If this would be an Apple thread...then I might say some of that sort too.
All I'm saying is this; if it ain't broken and there is better out there why not take that risk to improve our lifestyle? ...I'll wait some more, meanwhile I'll ask questions to im prove my knowledge, then in time I'll make the best move that I can think of. ...If I succeed, bravo, if I screw up...then I might have learned something.

The main thing is this; to never being stuck in time or in space...but to always move forward.
Because it's only then that we are fully living in the present. ...I'll wait some more, but not for too long...just right.

@ Gary; you remind me of my brother (he's younger than I)...he's an Apple (iMac Pro) guy. ...Not better, and not worst either...just different.

* By the way, I tried to contact him this morning via Skype...only to learn that I needed to upgrade Skype in order to talk to him. ...Well, ...that didn't work...too many issues with password, retrieval, repeated attempts...tra-la-la...that now I have to wait 24 hours as all my chances have been expired. ...How do you think I feel? ...Totally under a spell, the Microsoft spell. ...This should have been done automatically; I simply don't understand this very frustrating complication.
I'm not mad...I'm very cool now...but still...this PC world is no better than real-life people ripping off other people.

Hey, don't mis-construct the meaning, because life is beautiful out of all troubles. ...I'll wait to get back Skype, for even thinking about upgrading to Windows 10.
I hope Microsoft isn't forcing anyone about that...

True; if you are not a PC expert you have more chances to encounter major issues than resolving some. ...No fun to lose contact with your family and friends, no fun @ all.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
so why do you PC guys always accept that you must go through this agony with every new Windows version ;)
It's not as though Apple's OS updates haven't had their share of snafu's. At least Microsoft has adopted Apple's policy of making the OS update free for a change.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing