Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It finally arrived yesterday! Can you believe it took one month from the US to Canada to arrive via USPS/CP? Unreal! Anyway it's here!

I don't yet know how it sounds as I want to clean it first.....and boy does it need a cleaning! It has fingerprints, something that looks like watermarks and scuffs all over. I have no idea where this was pressed, but the QC sucks and this should never have passed. The packaging was blah, blah, blah and cheap. An oversize thin single jacket to hold both LP's, which came with paper sleeves. It also didn't come shrinkwrapped or with an outer sleeve. Shame on you Jewel!

I'll clean it later today or tomorrow, but I'm not encouraged based on the above. I will let you know however.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It finally arrived yesterday! Can you believe it took one month from the US to Canada to arrive via USPS/CP? Unreal! Anyway it's here!

I don't yet know how it sounds as I want to clean it first.....and boy does it need a cleaning! It has fingerprints, something that looks like watermarks and scuffs all over. I have no idea where this was pressed, but the QC sucks and this should never have passed. The packaging was blah, blah, blah and cheap. An oversize thin single jacket to hold both LP's, which came with paper sleeves. It also didn't come shrinkwrapped or with an outer sleeve. Shame on you Jewel!

I'll clean it later today or tomorrow, but I'm not encouraged based on the above. I will let you know however.

I'm afraid that's the problem with trying to resurrect a dead and buried industry, most of the vinyl pressing plants closed, equipment sold off or thrown out and with it the expertise of decades. Don't know if we're ever going to get it back again...:(

david

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm afraid that's the problem with trying to resurrect a dead and buried industry, most of the vinyl pressing plants closed, equipment sold off or thrown out and with it the expertise of decades. Don't know if we're ever going to get it back again...:(

david

Too much volume, not enough capacity. Plants are running 24/7 and that can't be good for proper QC standards. Looks like we have two more plants in North America that I know of. Canada Boy Vinyl in Calgary and Jack White's Third Man Records in Detroit, although that was just announced. This should help, but we'll never see the old days again.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am a huge fan too. And picked up the 48 Khz/24-bit from from HDTracks when it comes out. Happy to report no dust or fingerprints exists on any of the bits and I just checked. :D

I assume the album came out of a video production to be at 48 Khz.

I think the LPs are often put out because that is "in thing to do." Not because they like to necessary cater to audiophiles.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am a huge fan too. And picked up the 48 Khz/24-bit from from HDTracks when it comes out. Happy to report no dust or fingerprints exists on any of the bits and I just checked. :D

I assume the album came out of a video production to be at 48 Khz.

I think the LPs are often put out because that is "in thing to do." Not because they like to necessary cater to audiophiles.

Oh, I completely agree Amir! However, even for a standard release the quality is unacceptable. I don't care so much about the packaging as I use proper inner and outer sleeves anyway, but the vinyl quality is something I do care about.

She did sign it though! :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
She did sign it though! :D
She did? You don't say.

But did she ever stand next to you for a picture like this?

I am the handsome dude on the left which she then proceeded to play a live concert for. I am standing right in front of her:

Still want to brag about your signed copy of that LP? I don't think so! :D

P.S. That invitation to sponsor our booth at CES and the concert cost us a cool $350,000!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
She did? You don't say.

I am the handsome dude on the left which she then proceeded to play a live concert for. I am standing right in front of her:

P.S. That invitation to sponsor our booth at CES and the concert cost us a cool $350,000!

I have been officially superseded in bragging rights! :) Great pictures and lucky you!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
She did? You don't say.

What year, which booth?

david

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'm just curious. Did she ever find her musical identitt? Is she a rock star, country singer, or folksy poet?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm just curious. Did she ever find her musical identitt? Is she a rock star, country singer, or folksy poet?
She's not a rock star and never identified herself as such. She's also not a county singer in my opinion. I guess that leaves folksy poet. I can live with that as a general assumption. I would emphasize her strength as a writer first though, but not quite tied to folk completely as she's done a children's album as well.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Someone tried to make her a rock star with Intuition but didn't happen. I recall her coming on Today's show with all sexy cloths and such and thought it was not her character even though I did like Intuition:

Totally out of character for her. When I met here, she was the definition of "girl next door." Pretty of course but also very soft spoken and friendly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing