Acoustic bass recommendations

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'd love to get some recommendations for Ron Carter, Ray Brown, et. al. for some great CDs.

Has anyone heard the SHM version of All Blues by Ron Carter? Several of the SHM remasters have received excellent reviews.

Thanks ahead of time. I've already been adding to my collection by virtue of previous recommendations from fellow WBF members!

Lee

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've been a little busy looking for piano recordings. I found a Ron Carter piece that I posted. http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1848-Piano-Scale-System-Diagnostic/page4

One of my favorite Ron Carter pieces is this. A beautiful and unusual piece. It mixes claissical and jazz versions of the same selection. I could not find an example so you'll have to buy it. Ron Carter- Friends.

Ron Carter has 2000+ recordings and going strong according to Ron's website. I am listening to some excellent samples as I type this. http://www.roncarter.net/officialSite.html It also lists a discography.

I'll tget o Ray Brown later.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My latest favorite acoustic bass/piano recording has been Jasmine with Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden. The high Rez version on HDTracks is "only" 48kHz but it's 24bit. I know some people can't stand Mr. Jarrett's humming but I think it adds to he performance.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Bill Evans with Scott Lafarro on bass -- "Waltz With Debby" and "Sunday at the Village Vanguard." Anything by Charles Mingus.

Tim

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The go to disc for many audiophiles is Ray Brown - "Soular Energy"

A few others that might be interesting include:

The Great Jazz Trio - "Direct From LA" look for the EastWind release not the Inner City
SuperBass - "SuperBass" on Telarc
Oliver Jones & Charles Biddle - "Festival International De Jazz De Montreal"
Duke Ellington & Ray Brown - "This One's For Blanton"
John Heard - "The Jazz Composers Songbook"
Charlie Haden - "In Angel City"
Charles Mingus - "Dynasty"
Leroy Vinnegar - "Leroy Walks"
Basie - "88 Basie Street"

If you are feeling adventurous:
Pablo Aslan - "Avantango"
Renaud Garcia-Fons - "La Linea del Sur"

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
Check out the album Illuminations by McCoy Tyner. There's a song called West Philly Tone Poem that features some excellent bass playing by Christian McBride. It's very well recorded and also available on SACD from Telarc.

One reviewer on Amazon said "Excellent Music - Not So Good Recording". But then this was his comment:

The average recording level seemed really low as well - making me crank up the volume to get the same level of loudness from most other albums making me think that someone had not adjusted the level and done their job in crafting the music.

:D

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lee,
I am sure you will enjoy this one : Helen Merrill & Ron Carter - Duets ( EMARCY 838 097 2) .

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Recently discovered on this very site ... Very interesting and good Young Bassist from Israel:
Avishai Cohen

and
As Is Live at The Blue Note

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
My first post!

Brian Bromberg. in order of preference: "Wood II" "Wood" and "Hands" the last one is a harder to find Jpn import.

Best accoustic bass CDs ive heard recently mainly jazz standards some original songs and covers.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Didn't Chick Corea do an acoustic trio, The Three or something like that? I need to get my LPs out again (only have 10% of what I once had, but I kept the ones I liked best). I still like some of the old Return to Forever stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing