LG to Ship Flat OLED Displays

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
LG announced flat OLED TVs back in January with shipping date of this summer. I was getting worried though with no news of its availability. But finally this came out in Korea: http://news.mk.co.kr/english/newsRe...719798&selFlag=sc&relatedcode=&wonNo=&sID=308

"LG to double OLED TV line-up

LG Electronics is set to double its organic light-emitting diode (OLED) television line-up, a move meant to allow customers to have more choices to spread OLED TVs.

The electronics behemoth announced that it would release five OLED TV models in four series consecutively on the domestic market from Monday until next week. Then, its OLED TV line-up would add up to 10 models in eight series. Four out of the total coming new five OLED TVs would be ultra OLED TVs. The company is planning to aggressively target the fast-growing ultra HD (UHD) TV market.

LG Electronics has widened customer choices by rolling out the world’s first flat display, 65-inch and 55-inch ultra OLED TVs as opposed to all of the existing ultra OLED TVs featuring a curved screen. The new OLED TV has realized LG’s Art Slim Design philosophy as the volume of components and circuits of the TV was reduced from the existing thin and light OLED TVs.

In particular, the 55-inch ultra OLED TV is a mere 4.8 millimeters thin, slimmer than smartphones. As OLED TVs emit light without back light, unlike the existing liquid crystal display (LCD) TVs, they could show complete black and display colors accurately. "

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Excellent news

the 65 inch might be on my purchasing radar now, as the 65 inch 4k curved screen looks awesome.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It did indeed. The only barrier is the super high cost. They went up to 4K and made them more expensive.

The other future issue is high dynamic range. The OLEDs can't get bright enough to support proper HDR.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
...The OLEDs can't get bright enough to support proper HDR.

Yes, brightness is an issue. It took some time to get the OLEDs on my turntable's speed controller bright enough to suit us. The good news is that the angle of view is much better with them.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I assume this brightness issue is moot in a dark room. My concern is longevity of the system before it starts breaking. I wonder if ancillary data has started appearing yet.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I assume this brightness issue is moot in a dark room.
General brightness is not a problem at all. Even in a lit room. The issue is that HDR requires the maximum brightness to be 10 to 20 times higher than today's standard. Imagine bright sun in a picture. Today it washes out all the detail, or the detail is there and the sun is washed out. With HDR, both are supposed to be there which means that the maximum brightness for the sun has to be very high.

My concern is longevity of the system before it starts breaking. I wonder if ancillary data has started appearing yet.
The jury is out on that.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I don't think that HDR will be an issue with OLEDS. The standard for HDR is brightness of 1000 nits. OLED can do 800. With black blacks, HDR can and should look better on an OLED than on a LCD even if it is FALD. It is my understanding that the next generation of OLEDs will support HDR.The issue with LG's OLEDs involves issues near black and the "flaming wings" on the sides that we discovered in the Flat Panel Shootout at this year's CE Week as well as a poor color management system. (See HT Geeks 262 for a report on those findings) LG needs to resolve all of these issues before I would consider one. And reducing the price as well.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have only seen announcements (from LG) for 800 nit OLEDs. No products. Here is a review of OLEDs with measurements of nits from good friend, Ray Sonera: http://www.displaymate.com/LG_OLED_TV_ShootOut_1.htm [nit=cd/m2]

"OLED TV Test Result: For typical TV, movie and video content, the THX Cinema mode Peak Brightness is fixed at 135 cd/m2, the ISF Expert mode peak Brightness goes up to 308 cd/m2, which is impressively bright for an accurately calibrated TV. For the Standard, Vivid, Game and Eco modes the peak Brightness goes up to 372 cd/m2. "

Even if they reach 800 nits, the lowest proposed HDR standard is 1000 nits. The other proposal on the table take it up to 10,000 nits. Dolby's reference HDR display used for mastering content puts out 4,000 nits.

Mind you, this is not a serious shortcoming given the really good dark levels as you mention. It is just something to be mindful of.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
It is my understanding that the flat OLEDs slated to ship in September/October will support HDR with 800 nits brightness. I don't believe that the tech used by LG can go any brighter at this juncture. For controlled room lighting and the black blacks, 800 nits should be enough to provide a stunning image, provided LG fixes the other issues I mentioned. Maybe Panasonic will! The initial HDR sets will likely only support the Sempte HDR standard and not Dolby vision. BTW, the hand built Dolby Vision LCD monitor is VERY expensive. I doubt you will see a 4000 nit consumer display any time soon. 10,000 nits, even longer.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We will have to see at what APL the 800 nits will be supported in any OLED display. Like Plasma, they limit total output based on what is being displayed.

And yes, I know the Dolby monitor is hand built. Samsung has also provided hand built displays with modified power supply to post houses. I think that one gets up to 2,000 nits or something like that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing