Visit to Aesthetix

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I drove up to Moorpark, California today to drop off my Aesthetix Io phono preamp with volume controls for upgrading to full Eclipse status with two power supplies. I have met Jim White twice before: first with Brian Berdan at Audio Element and second at T.H.E. Show in Irvine.

Jim was incredibly gracious with his time and began the visit by giving me a full tour of Aesthetix. You never know what you are going to find (a living room with circuit boards strewn around, a mad scientist's laboratory, something which looks like a textiles sweatshop or an organized production facility) when you visit a manufacturer. Jim has a very large, clean, well-designed, multi-room facility in a suburban area. He introduced me to five of his colleagues, and showed me each of the development and engineering, parts inventory, listening area, testing area, production management and component construction rooms.

Cleverly, Jim has a dedicated construction room for every product: there is a dedicated Io room, a dedicated Romulus room, a dedicated Atlas room, etc. I think it makes a lot of organizational sense to put all of the parts for each component in one room and then build only that component in that dedicated room.

In addition to continuing to refine his signature products Jim is working on several interesting new designs.

Jim could not have been warmer, friendlier, more open or more generous with his time. One of the joys of this truly unique hobby of ours is the way in which us consumers can get to know and befriend the talented designers of the equipment through which we experience the music we love. It was a privilege to spend more time today with the gentleman who designed a beloved piece of equipment I have enjoyed since 1996, and which I will have for literally the rest of my life.

cmalak

Jul 21, 2015
Ron...great preamp and glad you had a nice visit with Jim. Always been a fan of Aesthetix gear. Heard one of my first high-end audio set-ups with a Rhea phono stage in the mix and remember the vinyl set-up (which also included a VPI Scoutmaster and Lyra Helikon cart) beat the pants off of a Cary CD player (can't remember what model), and thinking wow, vinyl who knew? :D This is some 12-13 years ago. It was my buddy's first high-end system and first taste of this hobby which ultimately saw me follow suit a few years later. I listened to his rig in NYC many a time over adult bevies and had a blast so that always left me with a soft spot for Aestheitx although I have never owned any of the gear myself. Thanks for sharing your visit with the folks at Aesthetix.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
This is what I love about this hobby/industry, people sharing the passion on all levels.

Nothing like when you call in to a manufacturer that the guy that answers the phone may be the guy that soldered the caps in your product.

I have been to Brian's store a few times, I am eyeballing the RP-10. I also took some colleagues in there that swore that we all are crazy and there is no difference in sound than what they have in their homes. After about 15 minutes of quiet time in the car after the demo, out of the back seat comes,"ok I admit there is a difference" :D

Glad you had a great experience today and hope it continues when you get your box back.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Jim is a sweetheart and he knows his stuff. There is nothing like a great engineer who has great ears. Jim is one of them. Oh did I say he is honest with a lot of integrity.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree 100%!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing