CJ Preamp with "mono" Feature.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I am trying to find out which preamp model(s) possess a "mono" feature either on the face plate or remote. I've tried to find through reviews, CJ's web site, etc., but no answer found.

Thanks.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have never seen a cj preamp with a mono switch. At least from now going back to the prem14.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The XP-30 has inputs that are mono summed, so you can just choose that by the remote.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Bummer! I was hoping the LS16 did but I don't think it does. It wasn't a consideration till recently when I found that my mono cart. sounds better via my "mono" through my preamp vs. "mono"" via my phonostage. This is totally opposite if I use my stereo cart. and play mono LP's in that my phonostage gives better performance in "mono" vs. my preamp. So, I just assumed that it would be the case and used it that way. Unfortunately, I wasn't happy with the results I was getting. So on a whim I played LP's through my preamps "mono" setting and things sounded different but definitely better. Nothings easy!!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The XP-30 has inputs that are mono summed, so you can just choose that by the remote.

Is that Pass Labs mono feature easily transplanted into a conrad johnson pre amp ? :rolleyes:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Bummer! I was hoping the LS16 did but I don't think it does. It wasn't a consideration till recently when I found that my mono cart. sounds better via my "mono" through my preamp vs. "mono"" via my phonostage. This is totally opposite if I use my stereo cart. and play mono LP's in that my phonostage gives better performance in "mono" vs. my preamp. So, I just assumed that it would be the case and used it that way. Unfortunately, I wasn't happy with the results I was getting. So on a whim I played LP's through my preamps "mono" setting and things sounded different but definitely better. Nothings easy!!

Hi Grooves. I used to own the prem16 - awesome preamp, but no mono button.

If you have a mono cartridge you don't need a mono button. Just enjoy the glorious mono cartridge.

BTW, which mono cartridge did you buy?

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I have the Miyajima Zero. As far as the "mono" feature, if I use it w/o engaging the "mono" button I have a hum issue. I suppose I could just use an adapter but since the mono button works to rid the hum I was fine with that. It's just that I'm now on the fence again re: my Naim gear since the 10yr. updates are do and that will be costly. So, now that I find that the "mono" feature works better on the preamp side vs. the phono side I'm happy and sad at the same time.
As far as the Zero is concerned, it's still needs some hours on it. But, at this point I'm still on the fence as to whether I'd buy it again. The LP-S in "mono" sounded pretty good, about 90% of what the Zero brings. Now, Sat. was a big improvement when I used my preamp's "mono". It really kind of added to the enjoyment and performance aspect. The only big issue I'm having, as usual, is this upper-mid to lower treble peak I get. This isuue happens with all my cart.'s but since I usually only have one cart. I just tuned things to help off set the peak. But while the LP-S is doing fine the Zero has this added peak for me. I'm really hoping that it's all part of the breaking in period. Cause everything else about it sounds good. Great bass and treble. Unfortunately, it's not as forgiving as my LP-S (not all that forgiving) on slightly "hot" reissues.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing