HD Tracks pricing

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
This week the last three Led Zeppelin remasters will be released, and I will buy the downloads versus the CDs. However, earlier in the week, I saw on HD Tracks the MC5 album from 1968 is in the new release category. Since I no longer have my old albums, I thought I should purchase it, but the $25 price for 192/24, and $18 for 96/24 seemed excessive. I ended up spending $9 for the CD on Amazon, and ripping it.

While I love being able to download music, the price for some selections are ridiculous. I seriously doubt the $25 192/24 download is three times better than the $9 44/16 CD. In fact, for a 1968 recording the CD is pretty good, but I had forgotten how bad the singing is. :)

Come on HD Tracks, lower your prices so I can buy more music.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
That is why I only buy when they run sales. As an example, I was able to snag the Chick Corea Trilogy release which retails for $35.98 for about $17. Most stuff can be had for at least 10% off each week. Sometimes 15% off.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I agree with Bud. I seldom look for music any more on HDtracks. Besides the pricing issue I like owning the CD. Should I find the music doesn't hold up to repeated plays and I decide to delete it from my server and sell the CD I can legally do so. The same is not true with a digital file.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
That is why I only buy when they run sales. As an example, I was able to snag the Chick Corea Trilogy release which retails for $35.98 for about $17. Most stuff can be had for at least 10% off each week. Sometimes 15% off.

True, but $2-$3 off of $25 is still too much for a 1968 recording of the MC5. :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
My biggest issue is they do not keep track of your downloads and you have no recourse if something happens to your file.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
They do keep track of your purchases. I also think it's very unusual that a older recording to analog tape will sound any better at 24/192 than at 24/96. and it's still quite a bit cheaper than most LP's. Even more, I'm still pretty sure that hi-res download pricing takes into account the likelihood that many if not most buyers are file-sharing with friends; how else to explain that downloads are usually pricier than the equivalent SACD or Bluray (in those cases where both are offered)?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
They do keep track of your purchases. I also think it's very unusual that a older recording to analog tape will sound any better at 24/192 than at 24/96. and it's still quite a bit cheaper than most LP's. Even more, I'm still pretty sure that hi-res download pricing takes into account the likelihood that many if not most buyers are file-sharing with friends; how else to explain that downloads are usually pricier than the equivalent SACD or Bluray (in those cases where both are offered)?

I have logged into my account and cannot find any traces of prior purchases, am I not looking in the right place?

Last edited:

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
My biggest issue is they do not keep track of your downloads and you have no recourse if something happens to your file.

For an online digital storefront, this is basically inexcusable. Yes, you can contact them and they will let you redownload the file. But every major storefront selling lossy downloads (iTunes, Amazon, etc.) automatically tracks what I've purchased and lets me redownload as often as needed.

That HDTracks does not do this has actually kept me from making purchases through them.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Your purchases since their last software update a year or two ago should all be in "your account". Older ones you have to ask about but they usually can tell you in my experience. Also every site I've used which has lossless downloads, even only 16/44.1, has a time limit for the download (from when you start, not when you buy), but they will usually reset that for what they consider a good reason

lassej

Jul 25, 2015
Stockholm Archipelago, Sweden
I think most hi-rez music files are to expensive. That does not only goes for HD Tracks. Same with other sites.
Compare to a CD disc they have much lower costs, no production, package and distribution costs near the same as a CD.
But maybe it's not the HD Tracks and their collouges that are expensive, maybe there is the record companies that are expensive so HD Tracks, and others, buy the rights to the files to high costs? Anyway, some is earning money here.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
From what I gather 70% or more goes to the label and they are doing none of the work. And I am sure the label is making sure the artist is getting their cut...
Anyhow yes they are too expensive to not have a disc in your hand

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
Also every site I've used which has lossless downloads, even only 16/44.1, has a time limit for the download

Ya, I found this too when I was looking at different sites. I consider it an unpardonable sin, and haven't purchased any lossless downloads from any of them.

In my opinion, if a new company were to show up with the features people expect from a modern digital storefront (unlimited redownloads, a proper account system, etc.), they would very quickly capture majority marketshare.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Another problem for Hi-Rez with the masses is it does not for the most part work on equipment they already have.

If it requires anything more than download and click, most lose interest.

Hi-Rez community has a long haul if it wants to get out of the niche market. The business model is not strong enough.
There needs to be a unity/consistency/honesty amongst the providers if any real volume is to be attained.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
A most useful feature on high-res sites, assuming it is not there, would be to copy Amazon's model of adding 'You purchased this item on <some past date>' on the page of the item you are looking at. Last night, I was looking at some choices on HD Tracks, and wondering if I had already purchased that item. I kept having to scan my music server folders to see if the album was there or not.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
In ten years all those hard discs full of files from HD tracks will be worth thousands on ebay

must stop buying vinyl & buy files its worthless lucky to get a few hundred $ each these days for rare records

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hmm, buying music for its future monetary value. I have to admit that in 50 yrs of buying singles, albums, etc, that consideration has never entered my mind.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
In ten years all those hard discs full of files from HD tracks will be worth thousands on ebay

must stop buying vinyl & buy files its worthless lucky to get a few hundred $ each these days for rare records

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. It is illegal to transfer your license to use or re-sell digital files.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Here is another example of crazy prices on HD Tracks.

Taylor Swift - 1989 at 44/24 for $23 versus $12 at 44/16 on Amazon.

ts-hdt.jpg
ts-amazon.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing