The friendly feud - What is true "Q"?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all and good Saturday morning to you all. If you have ever been involved in a discussion about BBQ down South, you know full well that passions can arise to points that can leave even the calmest man with steam blowing out of both ears. I know the passion of this discussion isn't "just" limited to the South after some rather heated discussions I have experienced came close to fights breaking out as far North as Pocono Pennsylvania.

Well, here at the WBF, not only do we have members from the US, we have a worldwide member base that can chime in as to what "real BBQ" is to them.

Let the feud begin! (Let's keep this discussion cordial please ;) )

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
For me and my family, it is pork butt that I have smoked for 14 to 16 hours with Alder (which we have harvested from our own property), and classic (sweet) barbeque sauce (both homemade and store bought). Then we diverge. I like North Carolina style vinegar based cole slaw on top of it but my wife likes the classic mayonnaise based one. This goes on a potato hamburger bun.

All of this has to be fresh, pulled apart minutes before we eat it. For this reason, the same in restaurants doesn't do justice to it.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Being from The Netherlands originally and Canada for the majority of my life I can't proclaim to being an expert or even somewhat knowledgeable about what true BBQ is. My taste buds however do tell me two things. 1. I prefer sauces on the sweeter side, and 2. please, do not smoke it too much. I also much prefer BBQ'd Pork over Beef.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I still have not ever had a tastier BBQ pig than from clear around the other side of the world. On the little island of Cebu in the Philippines. I would fly there, check one in my luggage and bring it home to Singapore.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nothing makes you feel like you are on top of the food chain than that video Gary! :D Looks delicious. I don't want those people's job though. In the heat of philippines dealing with that fire would be definition of hell! And that dude at the end, does he really sit there there whole time turning the pig by hand???

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
To me, ^^^ this is true Q. Best dog-gone tastin' pig I have ever set my tongue on. No sauce or rub even needed. Nice set up Ron, yours?

Tom

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
To me, ^^^ this is true Q. Best dog-gone tastin' pig I have ever set my tongue on. No sauce or rub even needed. Nice set up Ron, yours?

Tom
Tom
The pic is from my blog area. Details on it are there. Our rig is smaller and is an offset though it can also use lump. There used to be pics in the Q forum and album section of our rig but they have somehow been deleted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing