Manley Steelhead Questions

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
With the addition of a second cartridge (mono) and eventually a second arm, I concluded since my ARC PH7 has one set of inputs I'd eventually need either a second phono or at least one with 2 sets of inputs. The idea of plugging-unplugging RCA's over and over doesn't appeal to me too much. My PH7 responds well to tube rolling (maybe too well) and so I have many a 6922. Which brings me to the Steelhead. It offers a chance at a bit more set up versatility, though not being familiar with it's sound/character I'm a bit hesitant. While a Steelhead might diffuse the need for a second phono, I'm not relying on it. Things are never that easy.

So, a few questions for those familiar with the Steelhead.

1. What is the sound (character) of this unit, i.e., would it be considered analytical, musical, warm, neutral, etc.?

2. How well does it respond to tube rolling? Do the 6922's have much of an impact on the sound vs. the 5687's?

3. I know the "sum" switch acts as a "mono" setting but as I understand it this is only through the variable outputs. I'm guessing this would mean a second set of output cables and the need for an extra preamp input, (or plugging-unplugging RCA's).

Any info. would be helpful!
Thanks.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've heard this unit many times at a friends house with familiar equipment. I'd say the sound is more colored/warm than anything else. It does open up slightly with tube rolling, but would definitely go an alternate route for my taste.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I must admit my experience was different with electrostatics and found it pretty uncoloured
The Manley is maximised to work with modern tubes
A greater difference with 7044 than 6922
However golden lions will maximise musicality
Sum is a true mono summing circuit
I cannot recall if works with variable output
It can be noisy if grounding not right but has a lot of options to sort

I think it is good buy second hand and option of three input two mc and one mm
It's a very good phono with excellent service support Eva Anne is great

A

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I've heard this unit many times at a friends house with familiar equipment. I'd say the sound is more colored/warm than anything else. It does open up slightly with tube rolling, but would definitely go an alternate route for my taste.
+1 and the bass is strange, but I find the bass of ARC also colored and undefined.

david

Last edited:

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
I just home demmed a second hand one of these and like some of the other guys here it was not to my taste, that saying I did not know how old the tubes were, what they were or the history of the unit. Sound was very 'open', lots of transparency but little directness. The Dart 18ns phono stage made a singer sound like they were singing to me rather than just into space. Not being a tube guy or have much history of tube gear the bass sounded like how a solid state fan tends to think of tube bass, soft and splodgy, warm and not exactly tuneful (I'm sure this is not always the case). As I said this unit was second hand and I have no clue as to the history of it, the condition of the tubes so ther may have been something not quite right that was inhibiting performance. I did experience hum with the unit, the outboard power supply was noisy as well as build quality being so-so compared to some of today's machined from aluminium pieces. As you may have guessed the stage was returned to the dealer with a many thanks for letting me try it. I'm sure it will suit somebody though.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
It's funny (more like curious), like anything audio one person's experience can be an opposite of another. If I had the opp. I would demo one first. I'd really like to see how it stacks up against my PH7. My fav. dealer has been MIA for 3 years so trying anything new is a buy first option. Not my cup of tea which is why I buy used and ask first. It makes me wish there was a better means of linking up with locals who'd be wiling to get together to demo something for comparison and general curiosity sake. A lot to ask I know.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It's funny (more like curious), like anything audio one person's experience can be an opposite of another.

You lucked out here, you actually have a consensus! Did you ever think of a Lamm LP2 or LP2.1? Those I can send for demo.

david

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I used the Steelhead for a number of years when it was the "new, hot thing." (My model had no remote control but had the updated faceplate, so, circa 2006?)
I rolled a lot of tubes in it, found that I liked the MM input best for cartridges like the Lyra Titan i and Airtight PC-1 and concluded that the NOS Tele gave me the most holographic image. I had some difficulty getting the step-up to sound 'right'- at some frequencies it was clear as a bell, at others, sounded muted or uneven; I don't know what the cause was; i liked the front panel flexibility of the thing, and the build quality was fine- unit was reliable, but I eventually sold it.
I had a couple of different 'takes' on it: first, I liked it better in combination with a line stage- more meat on the bones. I discussed this with Eva M, who preferred the unit straight in to an amp, using the passive volume control. On my system, with my ears, it sounded richer and more full-bodied with the added line stage (at the time, a Lamm L2 Ref). Second, it had a sonic signature that might work well with some systems; over mine, using horns and SET amps, it sounded a little forward; it also had a coloration that i wouldn't describe as warm or euphonic, but it was noticeable in the sense that you could hear its presence.I thought this might be due to the JFET in the circuit- a slightly 'white' electronic sound, but the Lamm line stage mentioned also used a solid state audio path and had no hint of an electronic glaze- in fact the Lamm was, if anything, darker and warmer sounding, although a bit rolled off at the frequency extremes compared to what I replaced the Lamm with (a Veloce, the 2.0 version) . I eventually replaced the Steelhead with the Allnic H3000, which is not everyone's cup of tea either- some find it lacking in focus or clarity, or have other criticisms of the Allnic's sound. But, the Allnic (with an eventual change of line stage to the Veloce) really brought out an organic quality, an ease and flow that I found more like real music on my system. So, punchline, as far as I'm concerned, is that the Steelhead didn't quite 'gel' in my system, though I never had any trouble with the unit and Manley's support was first rate. And the take-away, if there is one, is that I found an improvement in another phono stage that has received mixed blessings on some of the fora. Which means, to state the obvious, that it may be system dependent. But if you do go the Steelhead route, i think you'll definitely benefit from tube-rolling. Good luck.

Fsonicsmith

Jun 25, 2015
My impressions of the Steelhead

I don't come from the lofty ethereal heights of some of you. My previous phono stages were the Simaudio LP5.3 and a Violectric V600. My tables are a VPI Prime with a Zephyr and a restored TD124 with a VPI 9T arm and I have a Benz Glider SL on it. A few months back I bought a virtually brand new Steelhead on Audiogon but due to a bicycle crash and some broken bones, it took me a while (til this weekend) to get it installed in my system. I now have all tubes-even my DAC is tubed. But I digress. My pre-amp is an AudioPrism Mantissa, amp is an ARC VS100 and speakers are AcousticZen Adagios. So from my perspective, I am blissfully gob-smacked by the Steelhead. My Thorens/Benz Glider has never sounded so damned lightning fast with hair raising transcients. It sounds alive, as if my speakers were suddenly transformed into horns. I could go into the other usual audio cliches/paramaters but I won't. They are there. Plus, having two tables, I have simplfied my system a bit with just one phono stage and not two. One less powercord, two less sets of IC's. The features/versatility of the Steelhead are a great bonus to the already amazing SQ. So from my humble place in the world of high-end audio, the Manley Steelhead is one amazing piece of gear that I am loving.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hey, I am glad to here you are recovering from an unfortunate cycling crash. I hated those!
I've heard the Mantissa is an awesome preamp. Have you done the Mantissa vs. Steelhead (as a preamp) comparison? As far as the transients and the Steelhead are concerned.... I recently came across some rebranded Sylvania 6922's. I normally use a pair of the JAN Sylvania's in my PH7. But these were totally different sounding, a somewhat bass and mid shy but the HF extension and the palpability factor (Air?) of the of the cymbal and drum strikes was unbelievable. I find it actually hard to describe, almost like feeling it more than hearing it. I'm not sure if it relates to the transient's or not but the presence factor was 11/10. Unfortunately, while it works on some LP's it's too much for others. The search continues. If the Steelhead is like that normally I'm all in as long as it doesn't get too edgy on top. That I won't know till I try one (someday).

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Fsonicsmith

Jun 25, 2015
I've learned one thing so far with the Steelhead; it does better with low output cartridges. I could not get a SS Zephyr to sound good with it. My two Benz Glider SLs, retipped by SS, have never sounded so good. The difference is downright startling compared to my Simaudio LP5.3 and Violectric 600 which the Steelhead replaced. The loading options on the Steelhead are primarily aimed at MCs, or so it seems to me. As to the question about trying the Steelhead's variable outputs, I have not. Interestingly, I now have three components on my audio rack and every one can be used as a freestanding linestage as long as you are happy with having only two inputs (whereas my Mantissa of course can handle five). Like the Steelhead, my AMR DP-777 can also be used as a linestage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing