Bottlehead Headphone Amplifiers

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
We had Dan Smalle of Bottlehead over to listen to his latest creation. This is a beautiful 845 based headphone amp. We also tested several other models. It is very interesting that different types of headphones react so radically different to different type of headphone amps. I don't really think that you can judge the performance of either the headphone or the headphone amp without trying them with a wide variety of products. It was very educational to say the least.

IMG_0622.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It's almost as if you have to pair the amps to the headphones. The Abyss only sounds good to me with either the Cavalli Liquid Gold or the big Woo Audio mono's. The Stax 009 only sounds good to me with the BHSE amp. Change the headphones and you need to change the amp!

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
It's almost as if you have to pair the amps to the headphones. The Abyss only sounds good to me with either the Cavalli Liquid Gold or the big Woo Audio mono's. The Stax 009 only sounds good to me with the BHSE amp. Change the headphones and you need to change the amp!

Yeah, Bruce it was a little shocking to me how much different each headphone sounds with each headphone amp. The differences are quite radical and way more so than the differences between amps and speakers. I think many people assume that headphones are more of a reference standard for accurate music reproduction but that is clearly not the case. It also brings up issues in the mastering process if the engineer is using headphones in the process. Bruce, do you rely on headphones or do you have a reference monitor speaker system that you use. Or a bit of both?

Thanks,

Caelin

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yeah, Bruce it was a little shocking to me how much different each headphone sounds with each headphone amp. The differences are quite radical and way more so than the differences between amps and speakers. I think many people assume that headphones are more of a reference standard for accurate music reproduction but that is clearly not the case. It also brings up issues in the mastering process if the engineer is using headphones in the process. Bruce, do you rely on headphones or do you have a reference monitor speaker system that you use. Or a bit of both?

Thanks,

Caelin

My reference monitors are the Wilson Alexia's. I also use a pair of Focal Professional monitors for a second opinion. I use headphones in my restoration/archive work. I need them to hear deeply into the music for any anomalies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing