Incredible Photography of Sebastião Salgado

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sebastião Salgado is a Brazilian documentary photographer. And on a mission. See this short TED talk of his (click on the Youtube logo at the bottom of the video and then select full screen when a new window appears). And Bob, this is especially for you:

His documentary Salt of the Earth was nominated for Academy Award last year:

The full length movie is available online but sadly in not so good quality. But very worthwhile still. Go to full screen: http://hdmovie14.net/watch/the-salt-of-the-earth-2014/fullmovie-putlocker-megashare9.html

Truly remarkable work.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
One of my favorite contemporary photographers. To describe him as a photojournalist is to dismiss his wonderful art. We've never collected because the subject matter is too disturbing for my wife. A few favorites include:

children.jpg

oil.png

Jerry Harrison (of the Talking Heads) used a Salgado image for the cover of his excellent album "Casual Gods"

casual gods.png

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
View attachment 21737 View attachment 21738

? Wow, I would love to see those two above in a larger format...they look amazing!

...And the cover album too.

_______

??? Amir, not only I highly appreciate you bringing this Brazilian artist here, but there are others here @ WBF who also highly appreciate, including Kate* who is also from Brazil.

* Kate and her family are incredible people multi-talented in the arts of medicine, brain surgery, world languages, audiophiles, technologies, communication.
...Beautiful music ? and all.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
View attachment 21737 View attachment 21738

? Wow, I would love to see those two above in a larger format...they look amazing!

(...)

Nice to find this thread in WBF - I was yesterday at Sebastião Salgado great photo exposition entitled "Genesis". More than 250 photos, many of them in very large size. It is a fascinating exposition - we really live in a beautiful planet.

The exposition was held in Lisbon in a beautiful 18th century building where the production of ropes, cables, sails and other equipment for ships was carried.

BTW, some very beautiful photos of your country are exposed in the section "Spaces by the North".

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Francisco, you just said one veritable truth: "We really live in a beautiful planet."

And there are beautiful people living on it. ...Beautiful children, women, men, artists, musicians, workers, gardeners, singers, ...all that jazz.

No matter how rich or how poor, our social status...in the end we all are beautiful animals of various colors and style living in this jungle.
And here, we just happened to love beautiful music and pictures. ...From all over.

? This photographer, Sebastiao Salgado, he can capture the momentary lapse of the quantum soul in his pictures. ...Leaving us comfortably numb.

...And thx again to Amir for the spirit.

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I watched "The Salt of the Earth" from a Netflix DVD last night. (Too bad this is yet another title where Netflix doesn't carry the Blu-ray.)

With two directors -- Wim Wenders and Salgado's son -- and with a scope covering many years and many photographic projects, the film is a bit inconsistent. Many, many superb photographs. I found it rather surprising that the photos were only shown as (presumably) originally composed. No closeups or pans to show details. The photos of humanitarian crises were very hard to watch. It's very understandable how Salgado came to a very negative opinion of the human species -- and that he had to get out. Fortunately, rebuilding the ecosystem of his family farm gave the film a more hopeful ending.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing