$340 audiophile Ethernet cable tear down

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Quite affordable for a 1.5 meter audiophile Ethernet cable. ...The silver cost money, the terminators few more dollars, and the external braiding...plus they are twisted and 24AWG.

Do we know the copper's level of purity? ...How many "N"s?

Personally I wouldn't pay $340 for a 1.5M Ethernet cable...I got several for free (came with my modems).
And the one I bought for my BR player when I want to connect for firmware update...was $20 for 25 feet.
But I'm cheap, and I don't know much about audiophile Ethernet reception (high grade signal transfer). ...Must be faster with better video and audio quality?
My computer cost me $300, so no way I'm spending more for an Ethernet cable.
But if you have $5,000 super duper computer, then $500 seems to be fair for an Ethernet cable...then that one @ only $340 is a good deal?
...Would a $5 or $10 one (1.5M) be of lesser performance...let the experts chime in.

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
I have to say what I said before the cables went to BJC for certification:

That the terminations were iffy and that the measurements proved me correct when I postulated that the NEXT would be marginal.

AQ should be embarrassed. All my BJC cables kill the AQ at ~1/30th of the price and my shortest BJC is more than twice as long.

AQ lists their cable as CAT7 on their site. The thing, as far as I'm concerned, isn't even 6A.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing